Would you be in favour of a second tier?

Started by sligoman2, June 26, 2017, 12:34:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Would you be in favour of an alternative championship for Div 3 and 4 with winners and runners up rejoining the other championship.

Yes
136 (52.7%)
No
104 (40.3%)
Undecided
18 (7%)

Total Members Voted: 258

irish345

i would do best of 3 instead of 2 legs because if  you do 2 legs and a team gets hammered by 20 in the 1st leg the 2nd leg the team would have no hope with best of 3 even if they get hammered in 1st game they still have small hope to win the 2nd game and bring it to a 3rd game

lenny

Quote from: irish345 on May 28, 2019, 08:53:34 PM
i would do best of 3 instead of 2 legs because if  you do 2 legs and a team gets hammered by 20 in the 1st leg the 2nd leg the team would have no hope with best of 3 even if they get hammered in 1st game they still have small hope to win the 2nd game and bring it to a 3rd game

Some right loonys on here. Dublin v antrim or london over 2 legs. Kerry v leitrim. When the first leg has been won by 25 points plus how many will go to see the return leg. Do some of you lads come from counties where the clubs have just one championship with an open draw?

Jeepers Creepers

2 legs??? So weaker counties could get pasted by the same team twice. Two tier hammerings.

BennyCake

Quote from: lenny on May 28, 2019, 10:28:13 PM
Quote from: irish345 on May 28, 2019, 08:53:34 PM

Some right loonys on here. Dublin v antrim or london over 2 legs. Kerry v leitrim. When the first leg has been won by 25 points plus how many will go to see the return leg. Do some of you lads come from counties where the clubs have just one championship with an open draw?

2018 Super 8's:

Tyrone 4-24 Roscommon 2-12 - an 18 point win. And that was a neutral venue!

Roscommon were a top 8 team having won Div 2 last spring.

If that was the first leg, how many would go to the second? It doesn't necessarily have to be Kerry Leitrim for it to be a stuffing match. Div 1 teams are doing it to each other.

Kickham csc

Quote from: irish345 on May 28, 2019, 08:34:10 PM
would a unseeded straight 32 team knockout not be a option ok  dublin might get drawing against a div 4 team and hammered them but if the draw is kind you may get a div 3 or 4 teams making it to the quarter finals  you go also make the games up to the semi finals best of 3 if it goes to a 3rd game then it be played on a neutral site that way every team is guaranteed a minimum of 2 games anyway

I would seed it.

That means you league performance and prov championship performance influence your All Ireland draw.

If you look at this year, Derry nearly pulled off a shock against Tyrone, Div 1 'v' Div 4, and there are always going to be bad hammerings.

But this is a competitive sport. The only way to improve your performance is via coaching and player management.

By creating a second tier, CP will have pulled a fast one, where the calls for development funds to a div 4 county (Antrim) can be largely ignored or managed with a token effort.

All the media will focus on Div 1 & 2, and like hurling, where it is in a healthy state in about 8 - 10 counties, nobody cares, because the top championship will be producing great games

BennyCake

Quote from: Kickham csc on May 30, 2019, 12:17:00 PM
Quote from: irish345 on May 28, 2019, 08:34:10 PM
would a unseeded straight 32 team knockout not be a option ok  dublin might get drawing against a div 4 team and hammered them but if the draw is kind you may get a div 3 or 4 teams making it to the quarter finals  you go also make the games up to the semi finals best of 3 if it goes to a 3rd game then it be played on a neutral site that way every team is guaranteed a minimum of 2 games anyway

I would seed it.

That means you league performance and prov championship performance influence your All Ireland draw.

If you look at this year, Derry nearly pulled off a shock against Tyrone, Div 1 'v' Div 4, and there are always going to be bad hammerings.

But this is a competitive sport. The only way to improve your performance is via coaching and player management.

By creating a second tier, CP will have pulled a fast one, where the calls for development funds to a div 4 county (Antrim) can be largely ignored or managed with a token effort.

All the media will focus on Div 1 & 2, and like hurling, where it is in a healthy state in about 8 - 10 counties, nobody cares, because the top championship will be producing great games

That's it in a nutshell.

I'd imagine TV money will become an issue too. Counties will want a slice of the pie, like Premier League clubs. The top counties will get stronger and the lower teams will get worse. When that happens, the GAA will have created an uncontrollable beast. They've already done it with Dublin. They must be so proud.

trailer

Antrim, Antrim, Antrim! That great bastion of the GAA. Legendary champions with 100s of inter county football titles! They've just fallen on hard times. A sleeping giant! Oh wait! That's right! They've no pedigree, absolutely none! And a CB that's is renowned for its amateur approach to everything they do! Lets get real here. Funding so called tier 2 or 3 counties is all well and good but some of them don't deserve brass!! Why would anyone in any position of authority even contemplate giving the Antrim CB any money?

Tier the championship, fund tier 2 and 3 counties yes, but only those that want to help themselves. Dublin put their house in order and benefit from the funding because of it, not the other way around.

Rossfan

How "near" were Derry in reality to pulling off a "shock result"?
They may have briefly took the lead but then Tyrone blew them away in the closing stages.
The one shock so far was Limerick batin Tipp but then Tipp have slid well back this year.
Cavan beating Monaghan and us batin the Rhus were mild surprises at most.
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

Sportacus

Which County are you from Trailer?  (2nd time I've asked).

BennyCake

Quote from: Sportacus on May 30, 2019, 02:01:37 PM

Antrim, I bet :D

trailer

Quote from: Sportacus on May 30, 2019, 02:01:37 PM

I don't see the relevance but originally Tyrone now living in Armagh.

lenny

Let's get real here, there already are at least 3 tiers in football at the moment. 8 teams only get 2 championship matches every year and for quite a few that is their lot every year. Another 8 or so only get one more match than that and again most years it's the same counties who end up out after 2 or 3 matches with minimal tv or media coverage. By creating a junior and intermediate championship at county level those teams would have something realistic to compete for. They can compete at their own level and make steady improvements and progression. It's a no brainer for players, coaches and supporters.

irish345

i said best of 3  best of  3 means 1st to win 2 games advances if it goes to a 3rd game play it on a neutral site  with best of 3 even if a team gets  a hammering first game they can still win 2nd game and take the game to a 3rd game

Captain Obvious

Quote from: Rossfan on May 30, 2019, 02:01:19 PM
How "near" were Derry in reality to pulling off a "shock result"?
They may have briefly took the lead but then Tyrone blew them away in the closing stages.
The one shock so far was Limerick batin Tipp but then Tipp have slid well back this year.
Cavan beating Monaghan and us batin the Rhus were mild surprises at most.
In fairness the manner that Cavan,Roscommon players and supporters celebrated their wins would suggest it was more than a mild surprise.   

Esmarelda

Quote from: lenny on May 30, 2019, 05:48:57 PM
Let's get real here, there already are at least 3 tiers in football at the moment. 8 teams only get 2 championship matches every year and for quite a few that is their lot every year. Another 8 or so only get one more match than that and again most years it's the same counties who end up out after 2 or 3 matches with minimal tv or media coverage. By creating a junior and intermediate championship at county level those teams would have something realistic to compete for. They can compete at their own level and make steady improvements and progression. It's a no brainer for players, coaches and supporters.
There are clearly differing views on this among GAA people.

Let's not pretend that it's a "no-brainer". If it was a no-brainer we wouldn't be having the discussion.