Would you be in favour of a second tier?

Started by sligoman2, June 26, 2017, 12:34:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Would you be in favour of an alternative championship for Div 3 and 4 with winners and runners up rejoining the other championship.

Yes
136 (52.7%)
No
104 (40.3%)
Undecided
18 (7%)

Total Members Voted: 258

Rossfan

Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

Cunny Funt

Quote from: lenny on May 09, 2019, 09:27:55 AM
Quote from: Blowitupref on May 09, 2019, 12:09:40 AM
Quote from: twohands!!! on May 08, 2019, 07:57:43 PM
Quote from: Esmarelda on May 08, 2019, 07:51:43 PM
You'd have to admire his optimism if he thinks London have a chance of winning a competition involving Division 3 teams.

Well they did just give Galway a Division 1 team a bit of bother at the weekend.
I'd imagine that he feels that London might have some sort of chance of winning something in a 2nd tier but with the current system there is no chance whatsoever.
Probably learnt more about themselves in that game on Sunday than they would from winning a 2nd tier competition and i can imagine they won't be happy if the opportunity to take on Div 1 sides is taken away from them.

lol I'm sure they'll look back in 20 years time and think we learned a lot about ourselves in that game we lost v galway. I'm pretty sure they would prefer to be looking back at a memory of winning an All Ireland Intermediate title in Croke Park which is a realistic goal for them. Learning a lot about themselves is pretty meaningless when more than likely they will only have one or 2 more matches this season. The cureent system is farcical and becoming more so all the time as the gap widens.

London are Div 4 team that don't get close to promotion. Chances of winning a 2nd tier cup would be slim or none for them,  I'd say they were buzzing in training before the Galway game. I also think the chance of 2nd tier cup final played in Croke park will be slim.

It needs repeating but the tiered competition is already in place. Its called the NFL but how many people remembers or cherishes a Div 2,3 or 4 title? its time to make that competition more important tie it up to the championship or whatever is needed. 

seafoid

https://www.independent.ie/sport/gaelic-games/they-are-driven-by-nothing-other-than-numbers-gaa-president-hits-out-at-rte-over-tv-strategy-38097770.html

Horan also believes that football should follow hurling's lead and push ahead with tiered championships.

"Our football counterparts could learn an awful lot from hurling about the benefit of tiered championships.

"Carlow are a shining example to us in terms of the merit of these competitions and the progress which they've made. It's that progression opportunity that these competitions present, and I feel that's a great concept."
"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU

giveballaghback

So ye want a 2 tier championship, in other words half the teams can go to hell,in todays Sunday indo a photo of some Dublin players got more column space than the combined reports on the tipp/ lim and clare/ waterford games, and Dublin are not playing today.
The tiers or tears exist already.

DuffleKing

If you're basing your decision making on the best route forward for football on the sindo's editorial decisions you should give it up.

How The GAA market their games is important but it shouldn't be the driver for what is best for the intercounty game and the association.

From the Bunker

Quote from: seafoid on May 10, 2019, 10:45:50 AM
https://www.independent.ie/sport/gaelic-games/they-are-driven-by-nothing-other-than-numbers-gaa-president-hits-out-at-rte-over-tv-strategy-38097770.html

Horan also believes that football should follow hurling's lead and push ahead with tiered championships.

"Our football counterparts could learn an awful lot from hurling about the benefit of tiered championships.

"Carlow are a shining example to us in terms of the merit of these competitions and the progress which they've made. It's that progression opportunity that these competitions present, and I feel that's a great concept."

The layers of disgust i get from reading that. The irony in the statements from the GAA President. He expects RTE to give attention to games the GAA are trying to get rid of. The GAA is in a very sad state.

manfromdelmonte

Quote from: From the Bunker on May 12, 2019, 01:55:11 PM
Quote from: seafoid on May 10, 2019, 10:45:50 AM

The layers of disgust i get from reading that. The irony in the statements from the GAA President. He expects RTE to give attention to games the GAA are trying to get rid of. The GAA is in a very sad state.
Zero leadership in the association for 5+ years

Dinny Breen

Fantastic coverage of the McDonagh and Ring Cups yesterday across MSM. That Laois/Offaly game was the game of the weekend, great to see RTE give it top Billing.
#newbridgeornowhere

manfromdelmonte

The lower tiers would get skant coverage
No mention of last year's Christy  Ring winners being beaten by Roscommon
Henry wouldn't even know how to find Athleague on a map

Farrandeelin

I'm still against it. Brolly was singing the praises of it after Ros hammered Leitrim, yet if he was to be consistent why the hell didn't he/they in the studio mention it after Offaly gave Meath a scare. Afterall it is supposed to be for the Div 3 and 4 teams who shouldn't dare put it up to higher ranked opposition.
Inaugural Football Championship Prediction Winner.

westbound

Quote from: Farrandeelin on May 13, 2019, 10:49:17 AM
I'm still against it. Brolly was singing the praises of it after Ros hammered Leitrim, yet if he was to be consistent why the hell didn't he/they in the studio mention it after Offaly gave Meath a scare. Afterall it is supposed to be for the Div 3 and 4 teams who shouldn't dare put it up to higher ranked opposition.
Or Derry of Div 4 (this year) V Tyrone of Div 1
or Limerick 2nd bottom of Div 4 V Tipp of Div 2 (this year)

Farrandeelin

Quote from: westbound on May 13, 2019, 11:01:44 AM
Yes indeed, forgot about those.
Inaugural Football Championship Prediction Winner.

Rossfan

Tipp would be tier 2 under current proposal.
The Provincials will still be with us too.
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

Cunny Funt

Quote from: Farrandeelin on May 13, 2019, 11:14:49 AM
Quote from: westbound on May 13, 2019, 11:01:44 AM
Yes indeed, forgot about those.

The usual nonsense from Brolly. I was hoping RTE would have the sense to replace him by now.

LilySavage

Jim McGuinness idea still the best Ive heard. Scrap preseason tournaments. Start league 2-3 weeks earlier. Teams from Div 1 and 2 qualify for senior All Ireland of 4 groups of 4. Play Provincial Championships before this as currently the case. (In unlikely event that a bolter from Div 3 or 4 win Province then they take 16th position from league and join Senior All Ireland.)
Call the 2nd tier tournament the All Ireland Intermediate Championship. Again 4 groups of 4. Play the final at 2pm before the senior. (You can name the Cup after whichever GAA icon you like )