Would you be in favour of a second tier?

Started by sligoman2, June 26, 2017, 12:34:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Would you be in favour of an alternative championship for Div 3 and 4 with winners and runners up rejoining the other championship.

Yes
136 (52.7%)
No
104 (40.3%)
Undecided
18 (7%)

Total Members Voted: 258

Esmarelda

Quote from: BennyCake on June 26, 2017, 05:16:33 PM
2 legs first round only. From the last 16, it's knock out.

Big guns need a shake up. Kerry Dublin need to gear up for a battle in June like the rest of us.
What does two legs achieve though?

BennyCake

Gives each team a home match and a chance to host a big gun

Blue Island

This old argument comes up every year and I think it is media driven. This is a matter solely for those Counties who are struggling and for no one else. I would imagine they would have no truck with some form of B or C tier competition. There would be zero interest and one only has to look at the second tier hurling competitions to see how that would end up.

Even if Croke Park did throw a load of money and resources at it (unlikely), they can't force RTE, the print media to follow suit and give the games the attention they might deserve.

The real issue is the amateur ethos of our games and the primary rule that you play for the County you were born in. If we had a professional game where you could transfer between Counties, it might be reasonable to have a two, or three tier system, where better/more ambitious players could transfer.  Not that I am advocating that.

It is not justified to say to players in Leitrim or Antrim, you are now playing in a secondary competition by dint of your birth and you will suck it up.

I would draw a comparison with nations qualifying for the Euros and the World cup. Yes, the tournament itself is for qualifiers only, akin to the All Ireland quarter finals, but every nation starts with the same chance.  France will play San Marino etc, because there is an acceptance that every nation is sovereign and treated with equal status and an acknowledgement that players can only play for the Country they were born it.

Esmarelda

Quote from: BennyCake on June 26, 2017, 05:26:45 PM
Fair enough, but with all the shouts of "dead rubber" aimed at the Super 8 I'm surprised you didn't think of that before you copyrighted the idea :)

BennyCake

Quote from: Esmarelda on June 26, 2017, 05:30:27 PM
Fair enough, but with all the shouts of "dead rubber" aimed at the Super 8 I'm surprised you didn't think of that before you copyrighted the idea :)

Kerry Kildare, 21 points win. Dublin Monaghan 22 points win. And that's with teams in same division. There will always be dead rubbers. With an open draw there's more chance of lots of teams progressing. Outside the top 4, there's a big drop out because players are thinking, what's the point?

Rossfan

Quote from: BennyCake on June 26, 2017, 05:34:27 PM

With an open draw there's more chance of lots of teams progressing. O

Eh?
16 GONE after Round 1
24 GONE after Round 2.
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

five points

If you favour a second tier, you'd have to have Down in it. Longford beat them in the qualifiers this weekend last year.

Esmarelda

Kerry Kildare, 21 points win. Dublin Monaghan 22 points win. And that's with teams in same division. There will always be dead rubbers. With an open draw there's more chance of lots of teams progressing. Outside the top 4, there's a big drop out because players are thinking, what's the point?
They're not dead rubbers. Dead rubbers, as I understand them, are games that don't matter for whatever reason. If the first leg is a 20 point victory then I think you could call the second leg a dead rubber. Multiply that by about four or five ties (likely).

BennyCake

Quote from: Rossfan on June 26, 2017, 06:12:32 PM

With an open draw there's more chance of lots of teams progressing. O

Eh?
16 GONE after Round 1
24 GONE after Round 2.

Well, Carlow could draw Leitrim then Antrim and get to a QF. Mayo could face Dublin, winners meeting Kerry. So you could have Carlow in a QF, with Dublin and Kerry gone.

Rossfan

Stall the Bailer

Quote from: oneflewoverthecuckoonest on June 26, 2017, 04:00:39 PM
in all gaa sports, at the end of a championship, there will be only one winner. to date in intercounty since the introduction of the backdoor, we have not had one "new" winner in either hurling or football, and the possibility of such an event arising weakens with each passing year.

Armagh 02 Tyrone 03. Both after introduction of the back door

Rossfan

Quote from: Stall the Bailer on June 26, 2017, 11:32:15 PM
Quote from: oneflewoverthecuckoonest on June 26, 2017, 04:00:39 PM
in all gaa sports, at the end of a championship, there will be only one winner. to date in intercounty since the introduction of the backdoor, we have not had one "new" winner in either hurling or football, and the possibility of such an event arising weakens with each passing year.

Armagh 02 Tyrone 03. Both after introduction of the back door
Previous new winners Derry 93, Donegal 92, Offaly 71,Down 61. Meath 49.
Not much sign of any new County making a breakthrough in the next 5 or 6 years at least.

trileacman

The only team handing out drubbings are the the dubs. They're the elephant in the room and we need to stop pumping money into them and develop the weaker counties. Those w**ks in the gaa and media are only interested in hanging the weaker counties out to dry and letting the dubs away with their unfair advantage. Tyrone were shite enough 2-3 years ago and are now the 3rd best team in the land. Donegal came from being Ulster whipping boys to serial contenders in the modern era.

Dublin are the problem and leaving the championship uncompetitive. Tie them up  and Kerry Tyrone Donegal and mayo are f**k all ahead of the chasing pack.
Fantasy Rugby World Cup Champion 2011,
Fantasy 6 Nations Champion 2014

Zulu

That'd be the Dubs, beaten by Kerry in the league final and one point winners after a replay against Mayo in last year's All Ireland? You really think the GAA want a dominant Dublin and to hinder weaker teams?

From the Bunker

A second tier would give the GAA an excuse to hide away the useless teams just like they hide them away during the league.