All Ireland contenders...

Started by EC Unique, March 25, 2012, 01:06:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

nothingbettertobeat

Quote from: Hill16 Blues on March 27, 2012, 10:02:15 PM
You just have to laugh - Kerry 6 points a better side than Dublin, every bounce of the ball went dublins way etc etc etc!! Will yis ever put a sock in it & move on????

Thats bad enough but the greatest delusional boloxology has to be the mad optimism from Tyrone posters who have not only convinced themselves that their form in the McKenna cup and Div 2 of the league makes them dead certs for the all Ireland but wait for it......................that they really were the best team in Ulster last year and probably would have/could have/should have won the all Ireland last year!!!! Wow!

Jeez you gotta love them!!!

Dublin win 1 All Ireland since 1995 and now there the best thing since sliced bread....Short memories as for Donegal they've been consistantly winning All Irelands for years now there really a team to fear. whole of Ireland shaking in their boots ::)
"A champion is someone who gets up when he can't."

NaomhBridAbú

I have seen Tyrone on a few occasions this year, and there is a certain pattern to their play, reminiscent of 2005 and 2008, in that when they have had to, they have been able to play in bursts of 10-15 minutes where they completely annihilate opposition, racking up goals and points for fun. This year, their second half fitness is better than I have ever seen, bar 2003, when they were, relatively speaking, a young team that was in the habit of winning - a bit like this team.

This year there is a good mix of experience and youth and skill. They are on a 11-0 winning streak. No goals conceeded in the National league so far....

i know that there are alot of ifs and buts between now and September, but at 9-1 (if thats what the bookies are giving???), I know where my money is going...
in the land of the blind, the one-eyed man is king. but he still only has one eye

heffo

Quote from: nothingbettertobeat on March 28, 2012, 10:48:18 AM
You just have to laugh - Kerry 6 points a better side than Dublin, every bounce of the ball went dublins way etc etc etc!! Will yis ever put a sock in it & move on????

Thats bad enough but the greatest delusional boloxology has to be the mad optimism from Tyrone posters who have not only convinced themselves that their form in the McKenna cup and Div 2 of the league makes them dead certs for the all Ireland but wait for it......................that they really were the best team in Ulster last year and probably would have/could have/should have won the all Ireland last year!!!! Wow!

Dublin win 1 All Ireland since 1997 and now there the best thing since sliced bread....Short memories as for Donegal they've been consistantly winning All Irelands for years now there really a team to fear. whole of Ireland shaking in their boots ::)

It's actually '95 and no-one is saying we're the best thing since sliced bread. I am clearly saying we were the best and most consistent team in Ireland last year. I'm also clearly saying that the AI winners every year get a few breaks as we did last year.

haranguerer

Quote from: DUBSFORSAM1 on March 28, 2012, 10:04:17 AM
Quote from: haranguerer on March 28, 2012, 08:36:54 AM
Dublin would be joint 3rd with Tyrone behind Kerry and Cork for me, at best. BCB, I can see you're trying to sugarcoat what you're saying re last year so the dubs dont just take it badly and start a slanging match....and thats not what I'm trying to start either, but lets be honest, there was more than a few bounces of the ball went their way. Kerry were the much superior team in the final, were in complete cruise control when they gave the ball away for the goal, and were then ambushed - it was daylight robbery. The win will have brought the dubs on a lot, but they're still not at kerrys level. You gotta laugh at some of them then turning round to pour scorn on others chances!!

Yes but the ball didn't bounce for Dublin against Cork the previous year or against Kerry in 2007, Mayo in 2006, Armagh 2002 does that mean we were the best team them years? Kerry were behind for most of the game and had a purple patch of about 15-17 mins where they got a 4 point lead. Hardly the sign of a team in total control of a game.

I thought they always looked in control tbh. One thing is, it'll be a massive fillip to dublin to have the monkey off their backs, and winning an AI brings a team on. It'll be interesting this year.

NaomhBridAbú

Quote from: heffo on March 28, 2012, 11:05:45 AM

Dublin win 1 All Ireland since 1997 and now there the best thing since sliced bread....Short memories as for Donegal they've been consistantly winning All Irelands for years now there really a team to fear. whole of Ireland shaking in their boots ::)

It's actually '95 and no-one is saying we're the best thing since sliced bread. I am clearly saying we were the best and most consistent team in Ireland last year. I'm also clearly saying that the AI winners every year get a few breaks as we did last year.

DUBLIN were the best team in the country by a mile last year - the fittest, strongest, most driven, and luckiest...and i begrudge them nothing
in the land of the blind, the one-eyed man is king. but he still only has one eye

Dinny Breen

Quote from: NaomhBridAbú on March 28, 2012, 11:42:15 AM
Quote from: heffo on March 28, 2012, 11:05:45 AM

DUBLIN were the best team in the country by a mile last year - the fittest, strongest, most driven, and luckiest...and i begrudge them nothing

Dublin were the best team in Ireland and I was hoping they'd win the All-Ireland, I now begrudge the lucky b**tards for it  :P
#newbridgeornowhere

Declan

Dinny Breen

Quote from: Declan on March 28, 2012, 12:08:27 PM
As generous as ever Dinny!!

;)

On a serious note I don't think the posters outside of Leinster are fully aware of the talent coming through the Dublin ranks and how Dublin will only get stronger. We might now be talking about a Big 3 but that Big 3 will soon be a Big 1, Dublin have the resources, the players and the structures to dominate the Gaelic Football landscape for a long time. A lot of hard work over the last decade is going to bear a lot of fruit.
#newbridgeornowhere

NaomhBridAbú

Quote from: Dinny Breen on March 28, 2012, 12:19:10 PM

;)

On a serious note I don't think the posters outside of Leinster are fully aware of the talent coming through the Dublin ranks and how Dublin will only get stronger. We might now be talking about a Big 3 but that Big 3 will soon be a Big 1, Dublin have the resources, the players and the structures to dominate the Gaelic Football landscape for a long time. A lot of hard work over the last decade is going to bear a lot of fruit.

I just cannot see that happening. There have been a load of 'out of the ashes...' moments for Dublin this last 10 years, and they have very little to show for it. I wouldn't take away from last years achievement - they were brilliant. Recent history has shown how difficult it is to retain Sam. A Kildare fan might point to several instances last year of pure bad luck, and poor refereeing, a Tyrone fan would definitely point to a resurgence in form for the year ahead, a kerry fan will talk shite at you all day, and cork would have something to say too. I know the hard work that Dublin have put in, this last few years, the resources are enviable but it will not be a Big 1 situation anytime soon

alba2

Surely Down should be mentioned in the top 5 or 6 counties at present.  Theya re sustaining themselves in division one and beat the all ireland champions couple of weeks ago.  they cant be that far away...

Dinny Breen

Quote from: NaomhBridAbú on March 28, 2012, 12:30:07 PM

;)

I just cannot see that happening. There have been a load of 'out of the ashes...' moments for Dublin this last 10 years, and they have very little to show for it. I wouldn't take away from last years achievement - they were brilliant. Recent history has shown how difficult it is to retain Sam. A Kildare fan might point to several instances last year of pure bad luck, and poor refereeing, a Tyrone fan would definitely point to a resurgence in form for the year ahead, a kerry fan will talk shite at you all day, and cork would have something to say too. I know the hard work that Dublin have put in, this last few years, the resources are enviable but it will not be a Big 1 situation anytime soon

Having seen their minor and u21 teams over the last few years and the belief An AI will have given them I can't see any other outcome. Pure speculation of course.

#newbridgeornowhere

NaomhBridAbú

Quote from: Dinny Breen on March 28, 2012, 12:40:06 PM
Quote from: NaomhBridAbú on March 28, 2012, 12:30:07 PM

;)

Having seen their minor and u21 teams over the last few years and the belief An AI will have given them I can't see any other outcome. Pure speculation of course.

pure speculation, but fair comment and quare craic

Dont Matter

How could they not be successful? With the amount of money gone in and the facilities they have it would be almost impossible to fail.
They're buying success, the GAA in their pursuit of extra revenue has put the interests of Dublin above the rest of the country. Hurling is struggling in many counties, these counties could have done with even a fraction of the resources Dublin were getting.
The GAA is supposed to be about amateur players competing on an equal footing, this hasn't been happening and the thing is nothings been said about it.

'Dublin is not a national problem, it's a national opportunity.'
Peter Quinn

heffo

Quote from: Dont Matter on March 28, 2012, 01:02:04 PM

How could they not be successful? With the amount of money gone in and the facilities they have it would be almost impossible to fail.
They're buying success, the GAA in their pursuit of extra revenue has put the interests of Dublin above the rest of the country. Hurling is struggling in many counties, these counties could have done with even a fraction of the resources Dublin were getting.
The GAA is supposed to be about amateur players competing on an equal footing, this hasn't been happening and the thing is nothings been said about it.

How could we not be successful?

Firstly instead of questioning why Dublin secured the funding they did, perhaps posters should ask why their own county didn't get it or indeed apply for it - Dublin secured the funding on the basis of a very good application - there are huge swathes of Dublin that are soccer and GAA heartlands and are GAA wastelands. Take Clondalkin for example - population 60,000 - 22 Soccer clubs and one GAA Club.

Dublin is a genuine dual county - it's football weeks 1 & 3, Hurling weeks 2 & 4 - your pitch is off on week 1 then kids who mightn't play Hurling get one game per month - result we lose more kids to rival codes who can offer a game per week.

The challenges any major urban centre has as opposed to a rural area when trying to promote GAA.

Finally, since 2005 Dublin have secured €6.8m in non-GAA grants. The Ulster Council has secured £120m in the same period. So a little realism please.

sheamy

Quote from: heffo on March 28, 2012, 02:06:16 PM
Finally, since 2005 Dublin have secured €6.8m in non-GAA grants. The Ulster Council has secured £120m in the same period. So a little realism please.

That's 90 years of back payments