NFL Division 1 - 2020

Started by thejuice, January 07, 2020, 12:18:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

twohands!!!

Dublin looked very much like a side who know they will be strolling through Leinster and know they don't need to peak for a few weeks yet.

Galway better than last week but never looked remotely like they were going to get the win.

JoG2

Tyrone will do well to get within 5 points of Donegal. Donegal have a potent and very mobile front 6 and half of Tyrone's defenders cannot tackle.

galwayman

Better than last week from Galway it goes without saying but then that wouldn't be especially hard either. In truth we never looked like winning this game.
The truth of it is we had several lads out there who aren't up to the required standard for county football at the moment. I would 5-6 players anyway.
That's far too many to be carrying. And several of them in key positions.

Gael85

Quote from: dublin7 on October 25, 2020, 03:57:57 PM
Dublin strolled past Galway in Salthill who offered very little. Game was played a challenge match pace. Paddy Small looked good up front for Dublin. Galway pulled players back into a blanket defect but Dublin still cut them open several times for goal chances

Galway with a gale force breeze in their backs in the 1st half played very defensively and 2 points was never going to be a big enough lead at half time. Crazy tactics

Cian Murphy and Robert McDaid played well. Young Bugler impressed again. Think he will be starting championship.  Colm Basquel must be still injured.

twohands!!!

Dublin strolled past Galway in Salthill who offered very little. Game was played a challenge match pace. Paddy Small looked good up front for Dublin. Galway pulled players back into a blanket defect but Dublin still cut them open several times for goal chances

Galway with a gale force breeze in their backs in the 1st half played very defensively and 2 points was never going to be a big enough lead at half time. Crazy tactics

Get out of my head. Hadn't seen your post before I posted.

Galway looked completely afraid to commit men forward in the first half, even with the strong breeze behind them.
Numerous times Galway forwards were out-numbered when inside the Dublin 45 and the balls Galway put in were cut out with ease by Dublin players.
Galway could have put a lot more pressure on Cluxton's kickout as he was definitely below normal [in large part due to the wind]
If it hadn't been for Conroy's being in great form on the point-kicking in the first half the scoreline could have looked a lot nastier.

Blowitupref

Quote from: From the Bunker on October 25, 2020, 03:48:19 PM
Well done to Tyrone! Held on in there a scraped home.

Always hard to finally lose our Division One status after such a long stint. We got away with a few close shaves in the recent past, but not this year.

Mayo can use Division 2 to re-build and blood players. It won't be easy come back up. And most in that Division will see us as a prize worth trying to beat!
Mayo did that plentiful in division 1 this year. One of the main reason why Mayo went from division 1 champs to relegation in 1 year was probably too much experimenting with starting line ups. I'd expect a lot more of Horans tried and trusted players will be starting in the championship.
Is the ref going to finally blow his whistle?... No, he's going to blow his nose

screenexile

Quote from: Angelo on October 25, 2020, 03:51:45 PM
We will be well under strength for Donegal next week.

Hampsey, Brennan, McShane, M O'Neill, R Donnelly, M Bradley and Cassidy probably all out at this stage.

Get the excuses in early!!

Onthe40

Quote from: Blowitupref on October 25, 2020, 04:23:19 PM
Quote from: From the Bunker on October 25, 2020, 03:48:19 PM
Well done to Tyrone! Held on in there a scraped home.

Always hard to finally lose our Division One status after such a long stint. We got away with a few close shaves in the recent past, but not this year.

Mayo can use Division 2 to re-build and blood players. It won't be easy come back up. And most in that Division will see us as a prize worth trying to beat!
Mayo did that plentiful in division 1 this year. One of the main reason why Mayo went from division 1 champs to relegation in 1 year was probably too much experimenting with starting line ups. I'd expect a lot more of Horans tried and trusted players will be starting in the championship.

am I right in saying that mayo team was much changed again from last week? Why with div1 status at stake.. Mayo dominated possession today but I thought a lot of their inexperienced players were turned over too easily..  plus Big Aidan was markable despite Kevin McStays assertions :)

weareros

Some very good football from both sides. McKenna the stand out player, with Conroy impressing for Mayo. It will be interesting to see what team Horan plays next Sunday against Leitrim - will we see some of the old reliables in the backs getting a run or will he stick with this more attack focused team? Either way, it should be a straightforward win and they will arrive in the Hyde with a point to prove.

Lar Naparka

Quote from: Angelo on October 25, 2020, 03:40:33 PM
Quote from: Tubberman on October 25, 2020, 03:36:58 PM
Quote from: Angelo on October 25, 2020, 03:33:30 PM
Quote from: screenexile on October 25, 2020, 03:31:07 PM
Quote from: Cunny Funt on October 25, 2020, 03:28:02 PM
Quote from: hardstation on October 25, 2020, 03:22:55 PM
If Tyrone don't win this game....
Have been poor in this 2nd half, can be thankful for a goalkeeper error.

Referee being ver kind to them as well!! Should have been 2 or 3 easy Mayo frees given there!!

Please.

Mayo are getting frees left right and centre and Tyrone can't buy one. Meyler clearly fouled before his black card a clear example.

Did you miss Diarmuid O'Connor getting pulled to the ground about 30m from goal, and a free given against him?

No.

Diarmuid O'Connor barged through Burns who had his hands out and that was the correct decision.

Aidan O'Shea has been allowed bear hug Tyrone defenders running out with the ball all game long without being called up on it.

More shame on Tyrone for being stupid enough to keep doing it but still.

There was also a clear foul on Canavan on the endline which was a handy enough tap over free.

The Mayo no 24 has got about 4 frees which were never fouls.

McGeary has got pulled up for being dragged over by Coen and the no 24 flinging himself to ground when he got within a yard of him.
;D  ;D
Ya know what?

I used to think I was one of the best bullshitters around but you beat me by miles!
Nil Carborundum Illegitemi

Blowitupref

Galway 4 points ahead on 50 mins and Galway 0-15 Dublin 1-14 after 72 mins is hardly classed as a stroll. After last week with the way Galway performed many expected Dublin to have todays game won by half time and certainly not needing a 2nd goal in the 74th minute to seal the win.
Is the ref going to finally blow his whistle?... No, he's going to blow his nose

Angelo

Quote from: screenexile on October 25, 2020, 04:25:42 PM
Quote from: Angelo on October 25, 2020, 03:51:45 PM
We will be well under strength for Donegal next week.

Hampsey, Brennan, McShane, M O'Neill, R Donnelly, M Bradley and Cassidy probably all out at this stage.

Get the excuses in early!!

My excuses have been in since we lost McShane.

I've been looking to 2021 in any case.

When we get our full contingent there we will have a team to rival anyone but I don't see us being contenders this season with those names missing.
GAA FUNDING CHEATS CHEAT US ALL

Angelo

Quote from: Lar Naparka on October 25, 2020, 04:34:20 PM
Quote from: Angelo on October 25, 2020, 03:40:33 PM
Quote from: Tubberman on October 25, 2020, 03:36:58 PM
Quote from: Angelo on October 25, 2020, 03:33:30 PM
Quote from: screenexile on October 25, 2020, 03:31:07 PM
Quote from: Cunny Funt on October 25, 2020, 03:28:02 PM
Quote from: hardstation on October 25, 2020, 03:22:55 PM
If Tyrone don't win this game....
Have been poor in this 2nd half, can be thankful for a goalkeeper error.

Referee being ver kind to them as well!! Should have been 2 or 3 easy Mayo frees given there!!

Please.

Mayo are getting frees left right and centre and Tyrone can't buy one. Meyler clearly fouled before his black card a clear example.

Did you miss Diarmuid O'Connor getting pulled to the ground about 30m from goal, and a free given against him?

No.

Diarmuid O'Connor barged through Burns who had his hands out and that was the correct decision.

Aidan O'Shea has been allowed bear hug Tyrone defenders running out with the ball all game long without being called up on it.

More shame on Tyrone for being stupid enough to keep doing it but still.

There was also a clear foul on Canavan on the endline which was a handy enough tap over free.

The Mayo no 24 has got about 4 frees which were never fouls.

McGeary has got pulled up for being dragged over by Coen and the no 24 flinging himself to ground when he got within a yard of him.
;D  ;D
Ya know what?

I used to think I was one of the best bullshitters around but you beat me by miles!

There was also the bizarre incident of allowing Coen to miss a free and then moving it in 10 yards closer to point.

Mayo were certainly eased back into it by the referee.
GAA FUNDING CHEATS CHEAT US ALL

MayoBuck

That's a sickener. We were warned last week about McKenna yet Kevin McLoughlin was put marking him in the 1st half. Complete disaster.

Clarke had one of his bad days with the kickouts unfortunately. When he's facing into a gale like the 1st half it will always spell trouble. No real excuse for the mistake in the 2nd half however.

Aside from those 2 things we did a lot well. Conroy especially was class.

dublin7

Quote from: Blowitupref on October 25, 2020, 04:43:02 PM

Galway 4 points ahead on 50 mins and Galway 0-15 Dublin 1-14 after 72 mins is hardly classed as a stroll. After last week with the way Galway performed many expected Dublin to have todays game won by half time and certainly not needing a 2nd goal in the 74th minute to seal the win.

Dublin sat back in the first half and were happy to go in only 2 points down knowing they had a gale in their backs in the 2nd half. Once the goal went on to put them 1 point in front Galway were never level again. Dubs were able to keep a 3/4 point gap without ever getting anywhere near top gear. Galway never got a sniff of a goal chance in the game.

The 2nd goal came after a brilliant flick from Fenton off a Cluxton kick out and King Con playing a one-two with the goalpost to score.