Laois Senior Football Championship 2023

Started by Spiritof86, March 02, 2023, 08:42:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cunny Funt

Quote from: marty34 on July 25, 2023, 04:50:42 PM
Was it a success?

I read about the solicitor who was running it and his ambition in bringing a festival to Laois.

Seems so and will be on again next year. Was well attended this weekend and the awful weather didn't dampen things.

From the Terrace

My predictions are: port by 8, ballyroan by 7, stradbally by 2, killeshin by 3, pl aet, dempseys by 2, csm by 1 & rosenallis by 4.

SCFC

I'd love to see Graigue win a senior championship. They've been close a few times without getting over the line.
But after last night, it's really hard to see them ending that famine. That was a poor game and it didn't take much for O'Dempseys to win it. A very depleted O'Dempseys team it should be said.
They've now been beaten by Emo, Courtwood and O'Dempseys in successive years - three teams they should be beating.
They'll possibly still wind up in a quarter-final or even a semi-final but hard to see them turn the year around.
Fair play to O'Dempseys. Plugged away with a good few new faces and will be looking forward to round 2 with confidence.

Sideline12

One would hope that the senior championship this season would be a higher standard with a lot of high profile manager involved with teams,  Like
Shane Wall  Ballyrone-Abbey.
Pat critchley and Kevin fitzpatrick  Portlaois
John Sugrue  Park-ratheniska
Anthony cunningham  Port
Jason Ryan  Graiguecullen
Michael dempsey  st.joseph's
Karl O'Dwyer  Stradbally
And they fine some young players with skills and pace for the future.

Butch Cassidy

You'd hope so Sideline12 but that was a poor showing from Jason Ryan's charges last night. Anyone from Graigue on to tell us how Jason is going with them?

Smellyball

Quote from: Cunny Funt on July 25, 2023, 03:34:55 PM
Out of interest where will Emo be playing their home championship matches this summer? Pitch will be out operation for a while after the 3 day music festival in the rain on it at the weekend.

Since when are there home championship matches in the SFC?

Blow-in

I fear for the state of the refereeing situation for the Senior champ. Poor enough showing tonight and it's not going to get any better

Junior Ex Laoistalk

Ref in last night's game between Graiguecullen and O'Dempseys did well for most of the game but disgraceful referring in the last 20 minutes ruined it for him. Graiguecullen deserved at least 5 frees in a 3 minute spell, all within 30 yards of the goal and didn't get one which resulted in a few skirmishes. It was played in great spirits before that but whatever got into his head he destroyed the game. When he did award them a free O'Dempseys held on to the ball delaying time and instead of bringing it forward he threw up the ball and that happened 2 or 3 times. He then gave a second yellow to a graiguecullen player because he was trying to retrieve the ball quickly as the game was almost over...
Winners are not those who never fail, but those who never quit!

Spiritof86

Quote from: Junior Ex Laoistalk on July 28, 2023, 12:28:17 AM
Ref in last night's game between Graiguecullen and O'Dempseys did well for most of the game but disgraceful referring in the last 20 minutes ruined it for him. Graiguecullen deserved at least 5 frees in a 3 minute spell, all within 30 yards of the goal and didn't get one which resulted in a few skirmishes. It was played in great spirits before that but whatever got into his head he destroyed the game. When he did award them a free O'Dempseys held on to the ball delaying time and instead of bringing it forward he threw up the ball and that happened 2 or 3 times. He then gave a second yellow to a graiguecullen player because he was trying to retrieve the ball quickly as the game was almost over...

I agree with you that some of the decisions were questionable  particularly in the second half . However I don't think Graigue deserved anything last night . Something amiss with Graigue I felt .

Junior Ex Laoistalk

Quote from: Spiritof86 on July 28, 2023, 04:43:55 PM
Quote from: Junior Ex Laoistalk on July 28, 2023, 12:28:17 AM

I agree with you that some of the decisions were questionable  particularly in the second half . However I don't think Graigue deserved anything last night . Something amiss with Graigue I felt .

O'Dempseys seemed to want it more and deserved their win but all that supporters want is for Ref's to be fair to both teams.
Graiguecullen have the knack of shooting themselves in the foot in every championship for the last 20 years, they always seem good enough to win but somehow manage to lose.
Hard to put your finger on the cause of it to be fair...  Maybe its the jerseys... (Mayo)   ;D

Junior Ex Laoistalk

Result from last night:

St Joseph's   0-13
Portlaoise     1-8

Spiritof86

Good championship fare in Stradbally last night . Park more than held their own but Brian Whelan was in some form for Ballyroan. Think he ended up with 10 points . They also  finished much stronger even with 14 men . Park will more than hold there own this year and expect them to take a scalp along the way .

Spiritof86

Laois SFC Round 2 Winner's Section

Portarlington v Stradbally
Killeshin v Arles-Killeen
Emo v O'Dempsey's
St Joseph's v Ballyroan-Abbey

Laois SFC Round 2 Loser's Section

The Heath v Graiguecullen
Park-Ratheniska v Courtwood
Portlaoise v Rosenallis
Ballyfin v Clonaslee-St Manman's

Junior Ex Laoistalk

Quote from: Spiritof86 on July 31, 2023, 06:48:01 PM
Laois SFC Round 2 Winner's Section

Portarlington v Stradbally
Killeshin v Arles-Killeen
Emo v O'Dempsey's
St Joseph's v Ballyroan-Abbey

Laois SFC Round 2 Loser's Section

The Heath v Graiguecullen
Park-Ratheniska v Courtwood
Portlaoise v Rosenallis
Ballyfin v Clonaslee-St Manman's

Some nice pairings there, the winners section is very hard to call..

Spillane

Round 2 kicks off later this week. I had 6/8 last round so looking for a better showing. (Graigue and the Heath letting my predictions down).

Port v Stradbally - Port to extend their winning run in championship, didn't see Strad in last outing but can't see them overturning Port, who again will be eyeing up the 4/5 week break to quarter finals. Wonder will see a few more returning faces by then. Port by 5.

Killeshin v Arles Killeen - Big win for both, now the prize is survival and a quarter final spot. Donie's hamstring couldn't be fully recovered inside 2 weeks, huge loss for Killeen. Because of this i will give a hesitant nod to Killeshin. No love lost between these two teams, wonder will the brown jacket make a return!?

Emo v O'Dempseys - Emo putting up the score of round 1 against Rosenalis, and O'Ds breaking most people's accumulator. (Never back the early kick off!!) Fair play to OD's impressive result considering the absentees, don't know if that was down to Graigue or ODs excellence. Very hard to call, but expect both teams to cut loose at each other and Emo by 2.

St Joseph's V Ballyroan Abbey - Joseph's finally getting a win over Portlaoise, first time in Championship in how long?? Had to grind out the win, especially after PL went a point up after the penalty. Will expect them to kick on now and improve against Ballyroan. Who themselves were tested massively by Park. Huge improvement needed for BA to face Josephs. Who seem to be a bit further down the line than this young Ballyroan team. St Joes by 4.

The Heath v Graiguecullen - Graigue will surely get back to form after a woeful performance in Round 1. Surprised with how they closed out the game with the wind and then the red card to make it worse. Can't be as bad again. Should have too much for the Heath by 6.

Park-Ratheniska v Courtwood - Probably the most impressive "losers" of Round 1. I was very impressed by PR against Ballyroan, well organised team with lively inside forwards who move the ball fast when the space is there. Courtwood within a kick of a ball against Strabally. I think PR had the 1st round on their mind since it was made and played at their best, very hard to get back up for it again so soon. Courtwood have well balanced forwards with the experience of Donoher with the returning Kinsella. Courtwood to pull away in the end.

Portlaoise v Rosenalis - Two teams probably very disappointed by their first match performances. Unfortunately for Rosenalis, PL ceiling is much higher (only Scott Osborne save and they would be reigning champions). I was actually shocked at how poor the town were against Joes. Didn't look fit, no showing from their two young county men. Relying on Lilis again, who still has the ability but not for the 60 mins that PL need from him. Rosenalis to have a very tough afternoon here, another in potentially a tough season for them.

Ballyfin v Clonaslee - Ballyfin must be relieved they avoided Portlaoise this year in the losers section, and expect to get their championship back under away here against Clonaslee. Clonaslee conceding a big score against Arles Killeen the last day doesn't bode well for them, neither does scoring 1-5. Any more of the potential absentees for Ballyfin or can we finally put to bed these rumours about the Moore's being away?! Ballyfin to win, but Clonaslee to be closer than they were last round to AK. The only match outside of O'Moore Park this round?