Connacht Minor, U-20 and Junior championships 2020

Started by Farrandeelin, April 25, 2018, 08:59:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Blowitupref

Sligo 0-13 Leitrim 2-14. Still one round to play but the Connacht final will be Galway v Roscommon and Mayo,Leitrim,Sligo go into the B championship
Is the ref going to finally blow his whistle?... No, he's going to blow his nose

Orchard park

A really good result for Leitrim...

I'd disagree with you Syf...  Roscommon, mayo and Sligo all improved with games played....

Syferus

Quote from: Orchard park on June 29, 2018, 09:19:33 PM

I'd disagree with you Syf...  Roscommon, mayo and Sligo all improved with games played....

Sligo lost their first two by 14 and were hammered tonight at home by Leitrim.. if you prepare shitily all the new format does is give you more opportunities to expose that fact to the public. Prepartion and coaching has always mattered more than format, but the format does help the better counties. It makes either of the 'small two' more unlikely to make the CF, though.

weareros

Quote from: Syferus on June 29, 2018, 09:20:45 PM
Quote from: Orchard park on June 29, 2018, 09:19:33 PM

Sligo lost their first two by 14 and were hammered tonight at home by Leitrim.. if you prepare shitily all the new format does is give you more opportunities to expose that fact to the public. Prepartion and coaching has always mattered more than format, but the format does help the better counties. It makes either of the 'small two' more unlikely to make the CF, though.

Well in the old format, we would have gone out on a 4-18 to 0-8 defeat to Galway, thinking we had a terrible U-17/minor team (even tho we were competitive in first half). Lo and behold, we've hammered Mayo and Leitrim since, while Mayo ran Galway a lot closer than us. Underage can be very predicable - when things go wrong, they can really go wrong, whereas a few games can completely swing things around.

Orchard park

But it could prepare more potential adult footballers....

Certaiinly more chance than having one championship game annually perhaps.

U17 and u20 are about much more than pewter winning or at least should be...

Cunny Funt

This age group is all about development the more games the better.  23mins 1st Half Sligo 0-10  Leitrim  0-4. 24mins 2nd Half Sligo 0-13 Leitrim: 0-10. FT 0-13 to 2-14. Some turnaround by Leitrim there.

Rossfan

Underage teams should never be finished after 1 game.
Have I this right -If we lose to Sligo and Leitrim beat Galway don't Mayowestros get in on score difference?
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

galwayman

Quote from: Rossfan on June 29, 2018, 09:59:46 PM
Have I this right -If we lose to Sligo and Leitrim beat Galway don't Mayowestros get in on score difference?
I believe so yes - Mayo are +19 while Ros are +9.
It seems unlikely Ros will lose to Sligo.
Galway are already through so will give the subs a run from the start against Leitrim I'd imagine.

SLIGONIAN

Quote from: Cunny Funt on June 29, 2018, 09:48:58 PM
This age group is all about development the more games the better.  23mins 1st Half Sligo 0-10  Leitrim  0-4. 24mins 2nd Half Sligo 0-13 Leitrim: 0-10. FT 0-13 to 2-14. Some turnaround by Leitrim there.
Shocking stuff at Home in Markievicz Park, outscored 2-8 to 2 pts 2nd half, 6 mins to go 3pts up but must of been alot of injury time, its one of the worst yrs in terms of results for us at all levels, but not surprising and not sure what development we can take from it, these results only develop a negative belief system which is already engrained into our players
"hard work will always beat talent if talent doesn't work"

GalwayBayBoy

Quote from: SLIGONIAN on June 29, 2018, 11:29:56 PM
Shocking stuff at Home in Markievicz Park, outscored 2-8 to 2 pts 2nd half, 6 mins to go 3pts up but must of been alot of injury time, its one of the worst yrs in terms of results for us at all levels, but not surprising and not sure what development we can take from it, these results only develop a negative belief system which is already engrained into our players

Seems odd when Sligo schools are as strong as they've ever been in Connacht colleges football. That said I've said myself here that schools football isn't as important these days as it once was. Most counties have youth development squads now so the same reliance on a school or two to produce players isn't there. Galway schools have been in the bucket recently but they are going for their 4th Connacht minor on the trot all the same despite zero schools success. Unthinkable back in my own day.

Syferus

Quote from: GalwayBayBoy on June 30, 2018, 03:10:08 AM
Quote from: SLIGONIAN on June 29, 2018, 11:29:56 PM

Seems odd when Sligo schools are as strong as they've ever been in Connacht colleges football. That said I've said myself here that schools football isn't as important these days as it once was. Most counties have youth development squads now so the same reliance on a school or two to produce players isn't there. Galway schools have been in the bucket recently but they are going for their 4th Connacht minor on the trot all the same despite zero schools success. Unthinkable back in my own day.

Well, if we want to get technical, Roscommon are the reigning Connacht champions at this age grade.. I'd safely say there's many more players who played U17 last year involved on all teams than played U18, for obvious reasons.

Farrandeelin

Head to head swings it for Ros though.
Inaugural Football Championship Prediction Winner.

Cunny Funt

Quote from: Farrandeelin on June 30, 2018, 10:24:27 AM

Better than yellow cards that swung it for Japan... I see the team that finishes 3rd in this group are into the Connacht B final and 4th v 5th play off to gain the other place in the final.

The Connacht finalists (Galway and probably Roscommon) play Kerry and Clare in the All Ireland Quarter finals to be played 28/29th of July

Syferus

Quote from: Farrandeelin on June 30, 2018, 10:24:27 AM

Farr, if those results happen there will be three teams on four points so scoring difference does come into play.

Maroon Manc