Loughnane says canning isn't up to it

Started by INDIANA, March 17, 2007, 07:55:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

INDIANA

Galway hurling boss Ger Loughnane has moved to rubbish the hype that has surrounded underage county star Joe Canning and says Canning isn't inter-county class right now.

Loughnane says Canning might have starred for Limerick IT in their Fitzgibbon Cup success but Loughnane has described it as a "Mickey Mouse" competition.

"As things stand, it would take Joe at least three months to get in the kind of shape needed to play inter-county hurling," said Loughnane.

"There is no chance of him playing for Galway this year. I watched all of his Fitzgibbon Cup games and he was being pumped up by people despite scoring very little from play.

"This is a Mickey Mouse competition and Joe would be very foolish if he lets winning it go to his head.

"He is way off the pace and listening to ill-deserved praise is going to do him more harm than good.

"I'd be very doubtful, at this stage, if he has what it takes to cut it as an inter-county hurler."

The Truth

I have to say i was a bit shocked to see the shape he was in last week in Fitzgibbon.
"We serve neither King nor Kaiser"

North Antrim

Very interesting. I only hav seen Canning play a couple of times - club championship and with county minors. He reminds me of a player who dominated club games and underage cos of his physical size. Obviously he has skill , with that there is no doubt. However watching last weeks Fitzgibbon final, he looked hugely overweight for a 19 yr old player. He scored a couple of great points frm play. But if he doesnt make the step up to COUNTY training in very near future, i dread top see wot shape he will be in in 2/3 years.

northsideboy

Hmm Ger, you might need him judging by your forwards performance today plus a proper Goalkeeper. And while I'm at it, you could give that nice new shiny JAG you have to a man who isn't pocketing the same expenses as yourself ;D. Arise Tommy Naughton ;D ;D ;D.

Bud Wiser

From what I watched today the young Canning lad has more chance of being on the Galway team next year than Ger Loughnane has of managing it.  If he is not on the panel this year and if he spent his days sitting in a McDonalds stuffing his face it's not Loughnanes concern. Ger would be better off doing what no doubt he is getting very well paid to do, manage the team he has. He made a very bad job of it today and if one were to describe his tactics they too could be described as Mickey Mouse.

TBT

Canning was in disgraceful condition. Theres enjoying yourself and then theres stuffing your face. He looked at least 3 stone overweight. If he puts on any more hes in danger of finishing off his career before it has handly begun.

Syd The Sailor

Quote from: TBT on March 18, 2007, 07:42:31 PM
Canning was in disgraceful condition. Theres enjoying yourself and then theres stuffing your face. He looked at least 3 stone overweight. If he puts on any more hes in danger of finishing off his career before it has handly begun.

When i saw Canning i thought he looked like one of those 40 year old junior players at the end of their playing days.....
"I coulda been a contender.....i could've been somebody"

gallsman

Feck sake lads, he's a 19 year old lad away from home for the first time having a bit of craic. After all the hype and pressure that's been placed on him, he's entitled to have a bit of fun. Hurling isn't the be all and end all for God's sake.

Syd The Sailor

Quote from: gallsman on March 18, 2007, 08:51:35 PM
Feck sake lads, he's a 19 year old lad away from home for the first time having a bit of craic. After all the hype and pressure that's been placed on him, he's entitled to have a bit of fun. Hurling isn't the be all and end all for God's sake.

Whatever fun he is having is supersized and "im loving it"  ;D
"I coulda been a contender.....i could've been somebody"

TheGreatGame

Fcuks sake lads will ye give the lad a break.  For a lad that ye all seem to think is so huge he has no problems with making the game of hurling look rediculously easy.  He'll be tied up with the Galway seniors for the next 12+ years, is in his first year in college and has about another 9 months to do what 99% of other young lads have the luxary of doing. He's dead right to have the craic in college, Loughnane wants a boot in the hole for talking like that abut the lad.

AZOffaly

Whatever about his opinion of Canning, I think this comment is a scandal for someone who professes to love hurling and want to see it promoted.

QuoteLoughnane has described it as a "Mickey Mouse" competition.

Maybe Ger is sore because Joe Canning has no problem playing for LIT, but won't go near Galway.

bottlethrower7

Canning would be grand come summer if he was training with a county panel. A young lad like that would lose the weight easy enough if hes in the right environment to do so. Eoin Kelly (Tipp) is another lad who shifts weight a lot, but hes always in top shape come summer.

Look how trim Eugene Cloonan is these days. I've never seen him looking as sharp or as fit as he is at the moment. It will be interesting to see what hes like come summer, when he typically struggles with the pace of the inter-county game due to his lack of fitness. This could be a big year for him as there was never any doubting his ability.

mightysaffrons

well said gallsman!!! i guarantee ya everyone of ye writing abuse here is at least 15 stone!! flip me its an amateur sport get off ur asses on teh comp and do something worthwhile!!!