Down v Cork. Directions to Ballygalget???

Started by cill iadh, March 16, 2007, 08:33:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

cill iadh

i am travelling to the Down v Cork hurling game on sunday and am looking for directions to the pitch in Ballygalget. I have tried club's website but there is no information on it. I will be travelling from Belfast directon..cheers

johnneycool

From Belfast head to Newtownards, via Dundonald.
Once you get to newtownards follow the sign posts to Portaferry through the town.

When you are on the coast road you'll go through Greyabbey and Kircubbin, keep going and you'll go past a pub on yout right called the 'Saltwater brig'.
After you go past it for about a mile, you'll go through a set of S bends, on the left should be the 'loughdoo road'.
It's a shite road and follow it to the very end where you will be going down a hill to meet the Portaferry/Cloughey road.
Take a right at that junction, through another set of S bends then on the left 100 yards out of the S bend is the Ballygalget road.
Drive up the hill and when you are coming down the other side you'll see the grounds on your right.

Aristotle Flynn

What's the Ballygalget set up like these days. I know they hosted the Down SHC final last year but what is the ground like. Last time I was there (years ago) the pitch was very small for hurling and there wasn't a proper fence around it. Is there much car parking available?
A tyrant must put on the appearance of uncommon devotion to religion.

Lecale2

Ballygalget have an excellent set up these days. They extended the pitch a few years ago and there's plenty of car parking in the ground. There's a good wee club house as well.

Fiodoir Ard Mhacha

Any update on the score?
"Something wrong with your eyes?....
Yes, they're sensitive to questions!"

Lecale2

Down 1-04 0-04 Cork. Down playing with the wind.

Lecale2

1-05 to 0-05 to Down at half time. Game stopped for 15 minutes due to snow storm!

johnneycool

Christ, what a baltic day to try and play hurling in? Fair play to those who tried I was fully kitted out in my thermals and was still numb, the Cork lads had their cold gear on below their jerseys, but the tough Down lads chose to play in short sleeve Gaelic Gear finest polyester, hard as feckin nails I tell ye  8)

As for the game itself, it really was going to be a battle which the Cork lads weren't up for and Down made up for their lack of finess with honest endeavour which was nearly rewarded with a victory. The lack of fire power was Downs undoing yet again. A fit Paul Braniff really makes a power of difference to this team and all the scoring is left up to Magic which makes him easy to mark, Ronan Curran was having difficulty with the big 'dual' star in the air, but he was helped by his midfields getting in close to pick up the ball as he done a spoiling job on the big man.
The Down defence held out very well especially in the second half against the wind, with the 'tigerish' Finty Conway getting to know his man early on. I thought he had a good game and although he gave away the penalty, done the right thing but just held on to his marker just a bit too long and made it obvious, probably his only mistake of the day. Murph and Liam done well even though both get caught playing too far in front sometimes. Big Courtney was going rightly breaking up the play before he was called ashore and I'd consider him very unlucky in that regard, Eoin Clarke has probably got a heavy bout of the flu as he never struck leather the whole game, winter hurling certainly isn't his forte. Paddy Coulter was looking sharp although his brother is playing him on the wrong side for a predominantly right handed hurler, he was always turning outside his man making his scoring angle sharper with every stride, he plays all his club on the other wing where he cuts inside his man.
McGourty does a power of work in midfield but his loss to the forwards is immeasurable and we're robbing Peter to pay Paul in this regard, not sure if it's the right decision, but until Darren Flynn gets his finger out there's no other option.

The blustery to gale like conditions made it impossible for free takers on both sides which kept the score down considerably but Cork will be happy to get away down the road with the points in the bag. Down should be happier with a more spirited performance than they've had this year, but I can't see them pick up any points and a re-jiggered Div2 is just about right for now.