The Horse racing thread

Started by maddog, December 19, 2006, 03:02:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bud Wiser

QuoteHalf the field just won the 3-50 at Folkestone.

What happened pray tell me?
" Laois ? You can't drink pints of Guinness and talk sh*te in a pub, and play football the next day"

girt_giggler

2.50 Newbury tomorrow (saturday)

Galactic Star  -  get on.

Forecast to go off at 6/4 but the 2nd fav is doubtful so could be shorter than that but I for sure will be lumping

Louth Exile

I see that the racing post guy has gone for gorgeous George in the classic breeders cup  :o With that horse you would just never know what he'd do, be a big price winner and great to see it if it happens.

I think that Dylan Thomas is going to have his hands full and too short for a punt, but I hope he proves me wrong
St. Josephs GFC - SFC Champions 1996 & 2006, IFC Champions 1983, 1990 & 2016 www.thejoesgfc.com

never kickt a ball

Quote from: Louth Exile on October 27, 2007, 07:44:30 PM
I see that the racing post guy has gone for gorgeous George in the classic breeders cup  :o With that horse you would just never know what he'd do, be a big price winner and great to see it if it happens.

I think that Dylan Thomas is going to have his hands full and too short for a punt, but I hope he proves me wrong

George Washington no longer Louth.

Washington suffers fatal injury
George Washington, the 2000 Guineas winner in 2006, had to be put down on a miserable weekend for European hopes at America's Breeders' Cup meeting.
The Aidan O'Brien-trained four-year-old broke a leg after finishing down the field in the $5m Classic, with the race won by Curlin, under Robby Albarado.  O'Brien's Prix de l'Arc de Triomphe winner, and 15/2 favourite, Dylan Thomas finished fifth in the Turf.
That race was won by English Channel, trained by Todd Pletcher.
Dylan Thomas will be retired to stud, but George Washington, a quirky horse well loved by the British public, met a tragic fate under Mick Kinane on a horribly muddy dirt track. After winning both the Newmarket classic and the Queen Elizabeth II Stakes as a three-year-old, he had been sent to stud himself. But in March he was reported to have developed "fertility problems", and went back into training.
Kentucky Derby winner Street Sense went to his retirement after finishing out of the places in the same race.
Dylan Thomas's defeat, on the neighbouring turf course at Monmouth Park, had been the biggest talking-point from a European point of view until George Washington's fatal injury.
The losing streak for Arc winners at the Breeders' Cup continued, and O'Brien, who had Johnny Murtagh on board, said: "We always knew that soft ground could be a problem to him.
"I thought I had Dylan near his best but he was hating every second of it today."
"It was horrible ground and he's a real grass horse. He was losing his footing all the time and could never get competitive."
O'Brien had no luck at all during the weekend, as the European raiders drew their first blank since 1998.
The Ballydoyle handler's Excellent Art had been an unlucky second in the Breeders' Cup Mile to Kip Deville.
Drawn wide in stall 13, Murtagh elected to bide his time in the early stages before making stealthy progress round the outside.
But just as Murtagh asked him for his effort, he hung to his left, forcing his rider to take action.
"He handled the course OK," said Murtagh. "It was a good effort."
Henry Cecil's Passage Of Time ran a gallant race to finish third in the Filly And Mare Turf at behind Lahudood and Honey Ryder.
Alan Garcia kicked on turning into the straight and stole two lengths on Cecil's filly, who was in the perfect position but just could not quite get on terms.
Honey Ryder made great late headway to pinch second on the line.
Cecil said: "She didn't quicken, did she?
"Everything went right for her in the race, but from going well she seemed to struggle a bit at the end."
Trainer Bob Baffert waited five years to end his Breeders' Cup drought then celebrated two victories in as many hours on Saturday with favourites Indian Blessing and Midnight Lute roaring to commanding wins.
Indian Blessing had opened the day's action with an impressive wire-to-wire win in $2 million Juvenile Fillies to keep her unbeaten record intact.
Less than two hours later, Baffert and jockey Garrett Gomez teamed up again for the Sprint, Midnight Lute storming to a 4 3/4 length win over Idiot Proof. War Pass was a hugely impressive winner of the Breeders' Cup Juvenile under Cornelio Velasquez.
Nick Zito's charge was smartly out of the gate and just like Indian Blessing in the Fillies, he never saw another rival.
Ginger Punch got the better of Hystericalady in a titanic duel to win the Breeders' Cup Distaff at Monmouth Park.
http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/other_sports/horse_racing/7060096.stm

Louth Exile

Sad news, a very gifty and very quirky horse
St. Josephs GFC - SFC Champions 1996 & 2006, IFC Champions 1983, 1990 & 2016 www.thejoesgfc.com

Louth Exile

If its less than 2/1 I wouldn't call it a tip!!

Homer

RIP George, a sad day for horse racing. He was an amazing two year old and his Guineas win was excellent. Hopefully the small handful of mares he got in foal will carry to a full term and give him some racetrack progeny.

That track was a disgrace and looked very dangerous.

Quote from: Louth Exile on October 28, 2007, 11:07:04 AM
If its less than 2/1 I wouldn't call it a tip!!

Huh?  ???

Can't agree with you there LE. Of course we all like them 12/1 reeks of corruption nags, but a 5/4 tip* can often be the shout that makes your lucky 15.

* Provided it's not from me that is.  ;)

Louth Exile

I wouldn't be afraid of backing at evens myself, but its hardly a tip to say you think a 6/5 favourite is going to win  ::)

What I find particularly sad, for example, is you pick up a paper on champion hurdle day and Istabraq is odds on fav. The so called expert in the paper has napped it. Well done genius, you are earning your wages alright.

I thought Katchit was very impressive today at Aintree and Kauto ran a good race under big weight.

Kentucky Blue

Katchit is a very likeable horse, just loves a battle and when anyone goes head to head with him, there's only gonna be one winner. Battles all the way to the line.

Kauto looked a little rusty mid race over his fences and walsh had to give him the stick a few times to keep him tuned in, but nonetheless on his seasonal re-appearance and conceding a lot of weight i was still impressed.

On the flat, Spencer is really busting his balls to stay ahead of seb sanders, intriguing battle for the title.

girt_giggler

Quote from: hardstation on October 28, 2007, 01:47:28 AM
Can we ban girt giggler from this thread?
He posts a bang on favourite as a tip and it gets the shite beat out of it.
If ever there was a Jonah.......................

away and shite. i never once mentioned it was a tip. the horse i selected was of a personal opinion & it was beat boohoo.

Lecale2

Got a txt for Master Massini in the last @ Punchestown. EW.

Silky

What price is it? Another 4/6 favorite?

Bud Wiser

Manilou is going down to the Peoples Republic on Sunday.  He was in a bit of a tiff over his classification last time and had to be withdrawn much to his annoyance.  This is over hurdles and is deffo worth a punt so don't let passed form throw you off.  More news on Saturday but as of now he is walking around with the head in the air and as confident as a kerry footballer.
" Laois ? You can't drink pints of Guinness and talk sh*te in a pub, and play football the next day"

Lecale2

Bud Wiser

Yep,  there is murder going on at the moment and poor ould Manilou is caught in the middle of it.

Also, I think news will break about an infection that has gone through the yard of a well know trainer (Noy Manilous)

All The Good has been sold to Dubai so nothing to back at the moment.