Time now to reflect on the best gaelic team ever.

Started by Seany, September 02, 2017, 08:41:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Seany

Cork Ladies. Finally beaten this evening by Mayo who were inspired by Cora. What a team. What a record. Such ambassadors the lot of them. Many of them dual players - their whole lives dedicated to Gaelic games. I'm sounding patronising now, but Jesus, what a group of athletes.

T Fearon

Is it just me,but I cannot warm to ladies playing team sports traditionally the preserve of males,like soccer,Gaelic Football,Rugby Union.

Rossfan

Would you not go for the Jersey swaps at the end Tony?
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

Syferus

Cork did to ladies football what Dublin are in the process of doing to mens football.

Cora Staunton battling through the last 15 years all the while carrying a county is the real story today. She is without a doubt the GoAT. I hope they finish the job in the final and she can go out on the high she deserves.

sid waddell

Quote from: Seany on September 02, 2017, 08:41:07 PM
Cork Ladies. Finally beaten this evening by Mayo who were inspired by Cora. What a team. What a record. Such ambassadors the lot of them. Many of them dual players - their whole lives dedicated to Gaelic games. I'm sounding patronising now, but Jesus, what a group of athletes.
That really is stretching it.

I saw a Cork player being substituted with about seven or eight minutes left.

Whatever she is, she is not an athlete.

Syferus

Quote from: sid waddell on September 03, 2017, 12:32:58 AM

Ass.

sid waddell

Quote from: Syferus on September 03, 2017, 12:35:07 AM

Ass.

Deary me. You must have a better response than that. Actually, having read some of your posts, I doubt it.

Syferus

Quote from: sid waddell on September 03, 2017, 12:36:15 AM

Ass.

Deary me. You must have a better response than that. Actually, having read some of your posts, I doubt it.

It was all the response your comment was worth.

sid waddell

Quote from: Syferus on September 03, 2017, 12:37:35 AM
Quote from: sid waddell on September 03, 2017, 12:36:15 AM

Ass.

It was all the response your comment was worth.
So, no answers. You're confirming my already low impression of you as a poster.

Women's GAA has a problem in terms of media coverage. It's patronising, fawning and deeply uncritical. It's treated in the media as the sporting equivalent of a charity case.

It's because of media coverage like this and patronising, uncritical attitudes like yours that the games continue to be very mediocre.

Compare that to the coverage of Ireland's women's Rugby World Cup campaign, was was rightly deeply critical of the team and management.

One is treated as sport, the other is treated as charity.

Zulu

You've spouted this rubbish before. Can you please point me to the critical ladies rugby coverage and the benign ladies football coverage? The GAA coverage is usually less savage as it's amateur and more local but it's bollox to say coverage of ladies GAA is patronising or fawning. 

tonto1888

What made her not an athlete?

Mayo4Sam14

You can forget about Sean Cavanagh as far as he's a man!

sid waddell

Quote from: Zulu on September 03, 2017, 01:48:38 AM
You've spouted this rubbish before. Can you please point me to the critical ladies rugby coverage and the benign ladies football coverage? The GAA coverage is usually less savage as it's amateur and more local but it's bollox to say coverage of ladies GAA is patronising or fawning.
I made a post last year rightly criticising the standard of women's GAA.

Instead of people actually engaging with the reality, people just went into a huff and embarrassed themselves in their reactions.

I can point you to the critical coverage of women's rugby. It was on RTE's live coverage of the recent World Cup where Fiona Steed and Lynne Cantwell provided extensive expert analysis. They didn't spare any feelings and treated the event as a serious sporting competition with analysis befitting of such, which made the whole thing a much better spectacle for the viewer. I've never seen that happen with women's GAA.

Malachy Clerkin made this point in a column.

https://www.irishtimes.com/sport/rugby/international/rt%C3%A9-panel-s-forensic-analysis-good-for-irish-women-s-rugby-1.3185259

With women's GAA we get nothing but plamasing which treats the viewer as a child - we don't get serious analysis, we get guff from Des Cahill and Cyril Farrell refusing to ever point out the shocking mistakes which so regularly happen, we get the nonsense of "they train just as hard as the men" and "that was better than the vast majority of men's matches".

All they're missing is sticking a little star on the players chests and giving them a pat on the head as if they were at a kid's summer camp.

They still wear skirts in camogie, for fook's sake.

sid waddell

Quote from: tonto1888 on September 03, 2017, 09:13:28 AM

What made her not an athlete?
The fact that she so obviously isn't one. Athletes don't run as if they're an overweight 52 year old man desperately trying to catch the last bus after four pints in the pub.

Joe Canning and Sean Quigley are no athletes either but I doubt anybody would claim it was anti-men to say such.

Dublin proved last week what atheticism is - Tyrone couldn't get near them. That's the bar for being able to call one's self an athlete.

When the Olympics come around you sometimes hear the likes of Jerry Kiernan say that GAA players don't know the meaning of hard training in comparison to our Olympic athletes. He has a point about the vast majority of them.

shark

How Irish of you.

Top class group of players. Although like many great teams that span a long period of time, it wasn't really just one team but 2/3 that transitioned seamlessly. They were always likely to fall short this year after losing so many players in a short space of time. They will still win at least 5 of the next 10 all-Irelands.
Mayo could send Cora out on the perfect note, but I feel Dublin will have enough to take it.