Roddy Doyle says the GAA is a bit of a con

Started by T Fearon, August 31, 2017, 06:17:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

T Fearon

It only attracts soccer fans who want to fill in the vacuum during summer months,citing largely empty stadia at other times of the year???

Rossfan

Irish Soccer Stadiums are always empty even when there are matches in them.
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

whitey

Maybe hes referring to Dublin GAA......

Down the country most GAA people wouldnt give a fiddlers about the Premiership

larryin89

Does he have a point though, how do we have a following of about 12k max for the league and then.40k for semi.final of championship. I dont get it, how can jim.pat tom or mick from ballina or castlebar justify not going to league games but is there for the big games in croker.
Walk-in down mchale rd , sun out, summers day , game day . That's all .

BennyCake

Quote from: larryin89 on August 31, 2017, 07:08:02 PM
Does he have a point though, how do we have a following of about 12k max for the league and then.40k for semi.final of championship. I dont get it, how can jim.pat tom or mick from ballina or castlebar justify not going to league games but is there for the big games in croker.

Because it's more about the occasion, not the football, for them. And the drink. And because everyone else seems to be going. And it's about the drink.

larryin89

Well I really wish theyd give a ticket to an ordinary supporter like me and they can drink all they like in the pub and watch the final
Walk-in down mchale rd , sun out, summers day , game day . That's all .

snoopdog

Bandwagon jumping is the Irish way. People clambering for tickets now for finals wouldn't know what the national league looks like.

Rossfan

Quote from: snoopdog on August 31, 2017, 07:40:49 PM
Bandwagon jumping is the Irish way. People clambering for tickets now for finals wouldn't know what the national league looks like.
Exactly.
Bandwagon jumping is an old Irish pastime.
Any Irish person makes good in even the most obscure post and half the Country become experts and "fans" of said sport.
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

Captain Scarlet

In fairness a lot of people have kids and so on so going driving around the country in the dead of winter of a Sunday isn't an option. Hitting Croker is a family day out and in some cases easier to get to than some of the regional grounds.
In vast swathes of the country there isn't even a soccer stadium to fill so I think he is digging at the Dub fans there, but even in that case he is wrong as the LOI heads that go to matches tend to firmly dislike the GAA.
All that being said few Irish people say no to an excuse for a session. Irish rugby's popularity is built on the attendance of fans who are not affiliated to any club and have not been to lower than Champions Cup.
them mysterons are always killing me but im grand after a few days.sickenin aul dose all the same.

SCFC

Quote from: Rossfan on August 31, 2017, 07:52:04 PM
Exactly.
Any Irish person makes good in even the most obscure post and half the Country become experts and "fans" of said sport.
Don't agree. I've always been a die-hard fan of the yachting and three day eventing.

Syferus

Quote from: Rossfan on August 31, 2017, 07:52:04 PM
Exactly.

Does anyone actually believe bandwagoning is an Irish thing and not a human thing?

Ball Hopper

Quote from: T Fearon on August 31, 2017, 06:17:09 PM
It only attracts soccer fans who want to fill in the vacuum during summer months,citing largely empty stadia at other times of the year???

Maybe soccer fills the vacuum outside the GAA hurling and football championships?

Mayo4Sam14

Ah who doesnt like a good bandwagon, that being said im a season ticket holder and go to nearly all games
You can forget about Sean Cavanagh as far as he's a man!

shantygael

Does anyone really care what Roddy Doyle aays.
you've only had enough to drink when you cant hold onto the ground

rionach 4

Quote from: shantygael on August 31, 2017, 10:02:51 PM
Does anyone really care what Roddy Doyle aays.
No, I don't really care what Roddy Doyle says but he is symptomatic of the attitude by certain parts of our nation to its national sports, Gaelic football and hurling. It's been said to me many many times.To many of those outside our organisation and indeed to some inside it we are seen as a money grabbing bunch of con men who trade in the wares of bog ball, stick fighting, welly wearing country and western yahoos straight out of the turf with the Heather hanging around their ears etc. It's as wrong as it is hurtful. I have no issue with soccer, rugby, hockey cricket or indeed any other sport. I greatly respect them and I enjoy a lot of their games and like many other GAA people if I get a chance I will watch Ireland soccer or rugby in the Aviva and cheer them on as much as anybody. Sport is sport and I love the GAA. My father taught me the love of it and my family are deeply immersed in it to the exclusion of all other sports but they love going over to watch the Arsenal or cheering on the rugby or like tonight watching the transfer deadlines in soccer. It's no big deal. Roddy and many others should show us respect. In the north here we have fought a long and hard battle to get respect. Certain elements here are being dragged screaming and cursing and have yet to show it and probably never will. The Dublin fans deserve respect. Many attend for different reasons and they like many other counties have lukewarm fans who love the craic etc but aren't fully up to speed with the club and GAA in general but so what. They make matches in Croke Park or anywhere else they go a great occasion and my little girl who is only 7 couldn't wait to hear the dubs sing "come on you boys in blue' at a recent game we were at ( and we are from the North). It's an iconic image of Irish sport.  It's not everybody's cup of tea but leave us alone to enjoy it with out making us feel like we should be ashamed of the antiquated bog ball and stick fight.  Roddy, (and I hope I haven't read you wrong)  please give us the  respect we deserve, no more no less. The GAA with all it's faults has been a blessing in my family and I dare say many many more. We watch, appreciate, enjoy and support all sports but the GAA is our life and we love it. For me it's real and certainly no con job.