Cork fans flying the confederate flag

Started by Eamonnca1, August 14, 2017, 06:46:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BennyCake

Someone flying a Union flag at England/Norn Iron match - is that not offensive to atheists, given the links to the saints and christianity?

If someone brought a rainbow flag to Croke Park, is that not offensive to those opposed to gay rights/marriage?

Esmarelda

Quote from: thefont on August 15, 2017, 10:42:34 AM
This one isn't too hard lads surely? Times change - move with the times.

I've lived in America and would consider myself fairly informed on the nature of racial tensions there but being honest I never would have connected the confederate flag being flown at sports games with white supremacism - but now I do.

It was a bit of craic and no offense was/is intended but now it's over. It's no major blow to the ego to admit you were a bit ignorant about something when you come to know better finally.

To the 'pc gone mad' crowd, I think a look in the mirror is warranted.  What about the rangers fans flying orange order flags and the like at matches. Sure it's only a bit of craic, as it the Orange order itself. A nice day out and a bit of music, it's been going for hundreds of years and the world hasn't ended.
This post has been up for half an hour. Surely this should be pulled up by now.

Taylor

If you want to you can find offence with everything FFS.

Crowd of whinging bollocks.

Mayo4Sam14

Quote from: Taylor on August 15, 2017, 04:43:30 PM
If you want to you can find offence with everything FFS.

Crowd of whinging bollocks.

Im not finding offence, im just asking why? It has absolutely no relevance whatsoever to cork
You can forget about Sean Cavanagh as far as he's a man!

Orior

Cork fans have been flying the Confederate flag since I first started watching Gaelic on television. Anyone who thinks Cork fans were endorsing white supremacy need to have a serious look at themselves. Plus, they can shove their 'offence' up their arse.
Cover me in chocolate and feed me to the lesbians

Syferus

Times change. The flag has very different popular connotations than it did even ten years ago where it was seen as a much more benign rebel image, that is outside of the South where it was always a loaded flag.

Grow up, cavemen.

Lamh Dhearg Alba

Quote from: stew on August 15, 2017, 10:24:30 AM
Quote from: sid waddell on August 15, 2017, 12:36:41 AM
The confederate flag should be treated as a Nazi flag would be treated.

It's not a bit of craic.

I'd much prefer if Cork supporters flew the English flag.

FFS! Power to the people comrade!

newsflash kid, if people 4,000 miles away from the deep south raise a confederate flag at an amateur sporting event, it is not necessarily to support white supremacists, it might be, and I could be wrong here, be flown to signify the fact that the county they support are known as the rebels, rebels in fact, that predate the American civil war, were was the faux outrage before the liberal media decided the confederate flag was vile and evil? The confederate flag flying in Croke park has absolutely no ties to any American political agenda, tha should be enough but sadly it is not.

Outraged by Tyrone GAA players allegedly cheating but fine with Irish sports fans flying a racist flag  :o

The flag represents a truly shameful part of American history, the confederacy was built open slavery. Even after defeat in the Civil War the confederate states waited then brought in new measures to put the black community back under their shoe. Those measures lasted in some states until the 1970's. There are still people today who yearn for those days and who would rally behind that flag. It doesn't matter if Cork are the rebels, flying the Confederate flag is wrong. Anybody who pushes the "political correctness gone mad" argument clearly doesn't understand the history and connotations of the flag.

Mayo4Sam14

Quote from: Orior on August 15, 2017, 08:07:17 PM
Cork fans have been flying the Confederate flag since I first started watching Gaelic on television. Anyone who thinks Cork fans were endorsing white supremacy need to have a serious look at themselves. Plus, they can shove their 'offence' up their arse.

Nobody thinks but its just so pointless, why not just fly a cork flag?

Jinxy

I think they should ditch it purely because it's not worth the hassle the bearer will ultimately bring upon themselves, but I find the sudden explosion of outrage a bit much.
If you're offended by the sight of the Confederate flag, don't ever visit the Southern states of America.
Or maybe you should visit, and chastise every person you see over there with a confederate flag hanging outside their house or on a bumper sticker.
Or better still denounce them as racists to their face.
I've little or no interest in flags of any description but this craic whereby the 'concerned citizens of the internet' get together to decide what is and isn't offensive is starting to bug me.
Were the Dukes of Hazzard racist?
Well, maybe the blonde lad was but I'll kill any man who says anything bad about Daisy.

If you were any use you'd be playing.

Mayo4Sam14

Quote from: Jinxy on August 15, 2017, 09:14:56 PM
I think they should ditch it purely because it's not worth the hassle the bearer will ultimately bring upon themselves, but I find the sudden explosion of outrage a bit much.
If you're offended by the sight of the Confederate flag, don't ever visit the Southern states of America.
Or maybe you should visit, and chastise every person you see over there with a confederate flag hanging outside their house or on a bumper sticker.
Or better still denounce them as racists to their face.
I've little or no interest in flags of any description but this craic whereby the 'concerned citizens of the internet' get together to decide what is and isn't offensive is starting to bug me.
Were the Dukes of Hazzard racist?
Well, maybe the blonde lad was but I'll kill any man who says anything bad about Daisy.

But why not just fly a cork flag?

Itchy

There are plenty of other red and white flags in the world the stupid langers can wave. Leave the one with rascist history at home.

Jinxy

I've never brought a flag to a game in my life so if they banned the whole lot of them it wouldn't bother me.
Just spare me the righteous indignation of Irish social media users who would no doubt be horrified to learn that the State flag of Mississippi still contains the confederate battle flag.

If you were any use you'd be playing.

Syferus

Quote from: Jinxy on August 15, 2017, 09:33:31 PM
I've never brought a flag to a game in my life so if they banned the whole lot of them it wouldn't bother me.
Just spare me the righteous indignation of Irish social media users who would no doubt be horrified to learn that the State flag of Mississippi still contains the confederate battle flag.

You realise that says way more about how backward Mississippi is rather than it does about Irish social media warriors, right?

trileacman

Quote from: Itchy on August 15, 2017, 09:30:45 PM
There are plenty of other red and white flags in the world the stupid langers can wave. Leave the one with rascist history at home.

Where's the line though? The flag of the rising sun is red and white but are then codoning the atrocities of imperial Japan? Any man that's fit to tell me that the confederate flag is offensive then what about the flag of the rising sun?
Fantasy Rugby World Cup Champion 2011,
Fantasy 6 Nations Champion 2014