Official Cavan GAA Thread

Started by BallyhaiseMan, November 10, 2006, 01:47:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BallyhaiseMan

Indeed AC
Mr Crowe hopped over the fence and replied to the fans comments with his own form of Justice  :D
Unless you're a mightily hard bastard...Trevor Crowe wouldnt be a man you would want to mess with.

cavanmaniac

Quote from: anglocelt39 on November 30, 2006, 08:18:05 PM
You know Maniac you're dead right, i've just reviewed the situation and don't know why I get this sense of utter fatalistic pessimism that I like to think of as realism in my misguided way. So I've just reviewed the situation and decided that on the basis of our current ranking at number 26 in senior football, our shedload of underage titles over the past several years, the outstanding performances of our clubs in Ulster and our dynamic, far seeing County board that, shag it, anything less than an Ulster Clean sweep at Minor, Under 21 and Senior level next year will be abject failure. And take it from me, the 2007 minors will be the best we've EVER produced, bar none.

You say tom-ay-toes, I say tomatoes. I knew you'd bite though... ;D

anglocelt39

Maniac, you're out of your time zone man. Yes, it can be a tough job constantly pointing out the elephant in the drawing room to the short sigthed, but sure somebody has to do it.
Undefeated at the Polo Grounds

Rossi

Quote from: anglocelt39 on November 30, 2006, 08:18:05 PM
The more I read about this lad Crowe the more of a mysterious legend he becomes. One of our fellow posters once insinuated on another thread that he once sorted out a few opposing supporters at a club match for abusing him after a sending off. pretty impressive.

Never actually heard of Trevor doing that, but was in Breffni  the day that Finbarr Crowe of Drung ran up to the top of the stand to sort out a few Drumalee lads.

BallyhaiseMan

Finbar Crowe
Another tank of a man...and outstanding footballer who never figured much for the County unfortunately...

cavanmaniac

You described yourtself a page back as a pessimist/realist, so you clearly know quite well the fine line between either.

On the realism side of things , I share alot of your misgivings about our county board, current players, manager, history of underachievement, but it's after that where we diverge. Beyond there you seemingly see no reason for hope and vigilante-style smack down anyone who disagrees. It's just too easy to be cynical and wallow in self-fulfilling prophecies my friend, and it's this attitude that part-explains why those same underage teams you get so upset about never fulfilled their potential. When the fat is in the fire, no Cavan team believes in itself enough because we come from a county full of world-weary wise men who always know better and where the culture is "ah we were unlucky." We simply accept what's ingrained in us to think is our fate and cry when we lose by a point to an Ulster team in extra time because we haven't the balls to finish the job ourselves or are too content with the moral victory. One man changed it all temporarily and that was Martin McHugh and look what he was able to do.

It's up to you what your view is on life, football and so on, I can live and live let live with everyone but nothing will shake me from the view that there ARE always reasons to be positive about Cavan football and most fundamentally, if everyone involved simply adopts a grumble-groan woe-is-us approach then we're going to stay mired precisely where we are right now. None of which is to say that if we're all sunny-side-of-the street positive all the time, the opposite results will accrue, but put it this way - which one of the two offers you some hope of self-betterment, and which offers you none at all?

Didn't mean this to ramble on as much but you seem to have a bee in your bonnet over it - I was only slagging you earlier on you know. I have no problem with your view as long as you don't fight me to make me adapt it - I'm not doing that to you after all.

The TopKat

Hello, new poster on the board...have been an avid reader for a while and decided to get involved.  Here is what my Cavan team would be for the Down match in May 2007!
1. James Reilly ( I reckon he will make himself available in early 2007)
2. Michael Hannon (great man marker)
3. Darren Rabbitte (potentially brilliant full back, does simple things right)
4. Keith Fannin (tight corner back)
5. Paul Brady (pure athlete)
6. Anthony Forde (let him sit back and sweep up)
7. Anthony Gaynor (big hits and endless running)
8. Pierce McKenna (good fielder)
9. Nicholas Walsh (stop a good man playing)
10. Ronan Flanagan (unbelievable potential, workhorse)
11. Micky Lyng (if fit will  eventually win an all-star)
12. Rory Gallagher (score getter)
13. Geard Pierson (due an injury free run to show his skills)
14. Eddie Reilly (passion and shows for every ball)
15. Sean Johnston (type of forward that every county needs, was good this year will be even better next year)

BallyhaiseMan

Quote from: The TopKat on December 01, 2006, 06:51:43 PM
Hello, new poster on the board...have been an avid reader for a while and decided to get involved.  Here is what my Cavan team would be for the Down match in May 2007!
15. Sean Johnston (type of forward that every county needs, was good this year will be even better next year)

Welcome to the board Top Kat...good to have more Cavan Posters on here.
Agree mostly with your team except for possibely Flanagan....whom i think is a brilliant footballer but i
would think Sean Brady or Ray Cullivan might bring a bit more ball winning ability in the half forward line...under Reilys massive kickouts.....
Agree with everywhere else...

anglocelt39

You say tom-ay-toes, I say tomatoes. I knew you'd bite though...

Bejasus Maniac never thought you'd take that one hook, line and sinker-reminds me of that shagging brother in law of mine who arrived down from Dublin many years ago and used to leave the night line out in the Borora river-feck off for a few hours and guess what you have on the end next morning. I think at this stage we should probably communicate directly and stop giving the rest of this thread a pain in the hole. In fairness we both want the same our optimism levels are all that differ. I could go on but you're tired hearing it. On a serious note for a moment, what do you think of McKenna's return to the panel, given that the bould Dermot is still around. Now if Donal can manage that one I take the hat off.

Also, welcome to our new poster-as I said earlier I reckon Flanagan and Sean Brady have to be ready now, on the basis of college performances if nothing else. Might it be expecting a bit much of Lyng to be back in action next year given what the poor hoor has been through? Hope not but..............
Undefeated at the Polo Grounds

BallyhaiseMan

County Board Proposals

Task Force Proposals
Task Force Proposals

PROPOSALS FOR ALL COMPETITIONS

U-12 League:
4 Divisions
2 x 10 Teams + 2 x 9 Teams (Seeding of teams to be done by
Bord na nÓg )

U-14 League:
4 Divisions
2 x 10 Teams + 2 x 9 Teams (Seeding of teams to be done by
Bord na nÓg )
All games to take place on full size playing area
U-14 Championship to stay in its present format, but to start a couple of weeks earlier.

U-15
Óg Sport:
7-a-side competition with full participation from all 38 clubs who field underage teams. (Multiple entries will be accepted from clubs). Panel of 10 for each team.

U-16 League:
4 Divisions, more teams to play in Divisions 1 & 2
(Seeding of teams to be done by Youth Board)
Remove 11 a side games if possible

U-16 Championship:
Division 1 U-16 Championship
Division 2 U-16 Championship
Division 3 U-16 Shield (Remove this competition if possible)

Amalgamations to be allowed into U-16 Championship
Amalgamations to be decided at Youth Board Level

Minor League:
More teams to play in Division 1 & 2

Minor Championship:
Division 1 Minor Championship to include amalgamations
Division 2 Minor Competition to include all other teams,
Amalgamations to be decided at Youth Board Level

U-20 Championship:
U-20 Championship to replace U-21 Championship in 2007

All
County
Football Leagues:
ACFL to comprise of 6 Divisions (1-6), Divisions 4, 5 & 6 would be the current reserve teams. Promotion and relegation through each of the divisions. The top two teams in each division to play in league final. Bottom two teams relegated in Divisions 1 & 2. One team relegated in Division 3, 4 & 5. One team promoted in Divisions 4, 5 & 6. 14 teams to play in divisions 1, 2 & 3 as per 2006 season.

Championship Football:
Senior, Intermediate & Junior Championships to return to a knockout basis with a backdoor system for the first round losers.

Junior B, C & D Competitions to be run in place of Reserve Championships

Winners of Junior B to be promoted to Junior Championship proper
Winners of Junior C to be promoted to Junior B Championship
Winners of Junior D to be promoted to Junior C Championship

In an ideal scenario there would be 16 teams in the Senior , Intermediate & Junior Championships. There may need to be promotion to these competitions for a number of years without relegation

Good stuff there...seems like the CB arent totally up their own arses afterall and can actually do good work.

lynchbhoy

Quote from: The TopKat on December 01, 2006, 06:51:43 PM

Dont know some of these too well
but given Cavans recent history of midfield woes, maybe a three man midfield would help out a lot....
Has Rory Gallagher actually committed though...

also - Gaynor is THE CHB...Cavan should be building a team around him.

mylestheslasher

I hear a rumour we played Laois in a challenge over the weekend and got hammered. Anyone have any info on that like what team started?

BallyhaiseMan

Nope.... got told by a Club collegue on Bebo that we got trounced around 4-11 to 0-09 in stradbally......
Reading the Laois Hoganstand board(actual decent conversation amazingly...i think its only the cavan hoganstandheads that are idiots)
It was said Cavan had a much Bigger all round physical team and hit very hard but were totally outclassed....also said that Laois are training 5 nights a week already its either 3 nights of weights and 2 nights of cardio or the other way round,...so id say they were much fitter than us.

The Bottom Brick

I heard Cavan were training 5 nights a week as well?
33, 35, 47, 48, 52, 07!

cavan4ever

yeah i think there at it 5 nights a week aswell but they need it cos they were way behind the other teams last year fitness wise.