Official Cavan GAA Thread

Started by BallyhaiseMan, November 10, 2006, 01:47:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Itchy

Quote from: Westside on January 25, 2019, 05:30:41 PM
Quote from: Duckquay on January 24, 2019, 11:01:08 PM
Quote from: Westside on January 22, 2019, 05:30:27 PM
Cavan 5/2 for Sunday so the bookies aren't expecting much from us. Usually i'd be encouraged with a win against Kildare but they are missing a lot of players. Be very interesting to see what sort of team Mickey puts out. I'd fully expect Madden to start.

Who is best to put on Comer? Killian Clarke probably? Or stick Gunner on him for a while and see if sparks fly.

The only thing flying there would be cards. In gunner's direction. Mcveety probably the best match for Walsh alright but then you're taking away your greatest strength.

Gunner always picks up a yellow but he's rarely sent off. Donie Kingston was roasting Rory Dunne in Porlaoise a few years ago and they moved Gunner onto him, he cleaned him for the rest of the game. Kingston visibly didn't want possession in the end.

McVeety needs to be in the full forward line. He will be our best scoring threat. I'd stick Martin Reilly on him, has the engine and the speed to keep with him.

Last year every time he got a yellow he was subbed off, tells you what mcglennan thought of his ability to stay on after a yellow. Always thought it was stupid though taking him off like that, he has to learn to stay on the field and if he can't do that he's as well to stay at home

Westside

Caoimhin is injured and isn't going to be with the panel until he's back to fitness. Seems like an odd decision to not keep a guy with his talent in the loop. Hopefully it's been handled well and he will be back for the championship

rodney trotter

Not like he is totally out of the picture. He will be with the rest of the extended squad, working his way back to fitness.
He hasn't played much football since last August in the Club Championship.

mrdeeds

Quote from: rodney trotter on January 26, 2019, 11:55:43 AM
Not like he is totally out of the picture. He will be with the rest of the extended squad, working his way back to fitness.
He hasn't played much football since last August in the Club Championship.

He not only player told look after himself rather than county and I know two players who have refused to go in as a result. Also players getting phone calls to go in, in last couple of weeks. One lad called in two weeks ago and dropped since. Same fella was looked at, at start of year. Makes no sense. If Mattie done it we'd say amateurish.

rodney trotter

They are carrying a bigger panel this year. They didn't play in Leinster Junior championship under Mcgleenan.
But yes strange recalling some players who were dropped

Duckquay

There is a bit if indifference to the county team that has grown in the last few years and stories like that feed into it. Ridiculous stuff in any setup.
Also, I fully agree with injured players not being part of things. Why would anyone want to travel distances midweek to stand on a sideline in December and January to watch training. It's a long enough year.

mrdeeds

Quote from: Duckquay on January 26, 2019, 06:34:25 PM
There is a bit if indifference to the county team that has grown in the last few years and stories like that feed into it. Ridiculous stuff in any setup.
Also, I fully agree with injured players not being part of things. Why would anyone want to travel distances midweek to stand on a sideline in December and January to watch training. It's a long enough year.

The point was injured players are not being looked after.

Duckquay

Sorry, I would have thought that would have been a given. Bad form.

seafoid

https://www.irishtimes.com/sport/gaelic-games/gaelic-football/with-mullinalaghta-and-cavan-mickey-graham-has-every-plate-spinning-1.3769530

"I went to the Mullinalaghta players when I was offered the Cavan job and the one thing I said to them was that nobody was to use it as an excuse if things go pear-shaped. Let's finish the year on a high. But sure we never thought it would be still going this long!"
He earns a living as a sales rep for Coca-Cola so he spends most of his time in the car, making calls, checking lists, crossing jobs off as he goes. Then I have Dermot McCabe as well my assistant manager and he and I would be of the same mind on everything really.

Before Mullinalaghta, he'd put down a few seasons managing Clonguish in Longford. All the way along, he hoped he'd get to a place where his road would intersect with Cavan's eventually.
Here he is, then. And miles to go before he sleeps. Cavan may be back in Division One but you'd hardly describe them as being on an upward curve. Mattie McGleenan's two years came and went with only three championship wins to show for them – and those were against Offaly, Wicklow and Down. They haven't beaten a Division One team in summer football since a qualifier win over Westmeath in 2014. Cavan always seem to be starting over.

He may even indulge himself and catch a glimpse of the family once in a while. But hectic and all as it has been, he wouldn't change it for diamonds. Winning a Leinster title with a team from a half-parish of 400-odd people is the kind of thing that will outlast him, regardless of what happens from here. It'll outlast them all.

Yeah, it just seems for the last number of years that there's been a fierce turnover of players for various reasons," Graham says. "Whether it's the commitment or lads travelling or injuries or lads not believing that they're good enough to go on and be successful, there's been lots of reasons. It's been disappointing that every year you seem to have a bunch of new players. From my point of view, I'm hoping to bring a bit of continuity

I said to them the first day I spoke to them – there's no quick fix here. Things aren't going to happen within six months or 12 months. This is a journey that could take two, three, four years. To create the environment I want, to put the stamp on their set-up that I want, none of it is going to happen overnight.
"It's a matter of the boys buying into it and seeing the bigger picture. For new lads in to develop as players physically and mentally, it could take a few years so everyone has to realise that. It's going to be a tough year or two to begin."

It could get very interesting in a few years if the players respond
"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU

mrdeeds

Very disappointing. Martin Reilly best with Raymond Galliagan and Jack good. What we were playing at with Holla I don't know. A lot of players were unfit while one was at least two stone over weight and couldn't sprint. The new lads are miles behind in terms of strength and couldn't break a tackle. Midfield were poor too and discipline was as bad as I've ever seen.

Westside

It was poor stuff. Killian Clarke was incredibly poor I thought. Walsh roasted him and he resorted to dirty shots, should have been sent off. Thank God for Martin Reilly.

Severe lack of ideas going forward. Mackey should have been on earlier. The most worrying thing was the lack of pace and power. We couldn't live with Galway in the second half.

mrdeeds

Quote from: Westside on January 27, 2019, 05:33:03 PM
It was poor stuff. Killian Clarke was incredibly poor I thought. Walsh roasted him and he resorted to dirty shots, should have been sent off. Thank God for Martin Reilly.

Severe lack of ideas going forward. Mackey should have been on earlier. The most worrying thing was the lack of pace and power. We couldn't live with Galway in the second half.

Funny I thought Killian done ok. Walsh shone in that period where we down to 12.

Itchy

It wasnt all bad.

We were in control in the 1st half but missed a hat load of very scorable chances, should have been 3 pts up at half time. 2nd half was very poor and then all the black cards came making it mission impossible really, a late rally made the score line look reasonable.

Few take aways.

- We do not look anywhere near fit. Killian Clarke looks to have weight on, maybe he was out injured. Lads were knackered at half time. What worries me is that Galway are not hectic at all. What will other teams do to us??
- Argue very disappointing, let the game pass him by
- Mackey only on for 5 mins. Ridiculous. He was badly needed in the 2nd half.
- Referee a joke. Gunners black was ridiculous, he didnt commit any black card offence. Galway man should have got a red for dangerous tackle on Galligan. Then this O Mahoney clown has form with Cavan as we know.
- Discipline poor. Clarkes black was really stupid by him at a key part of the game
- Thought Madden and Jack did well when in the FF line but then Madden was taken out of there. Made no sense.
- Biggest one is free takers. This is 2nd game I have seen and again missing frees that you cannot miss at this level. Surely Jack Brady is the man to take frees. We missed 3 gimme frees in my opinion.

I am not optimistic for our next two games I must say.
-

Westside

The free issue is mental. Martin Reilly scores an unreal free from the sideline. Another free from an easier position on the right side a few minutes later and Smith the right footer takes it?? Look at the difference with Galway. Walsh kept the scoreboard ticking over for them. Fully agree Jack Brady shoukd take them.

I was impressed with Madden. Why didn't they leave him inside and let it into him periodically to see if we can win some marks.

I just think Mickey didn't make the most of what we had there today and you can't have lads like Clarke and Galligan taking cheap shots right in front of the ref. It's a complete cop out.

Itchy

I forgot to say Kevin Tierney, What the f**k!!!