Quote from: Gnevin on July 25, 2007, 03:24:22 PM
Quote from: The Real Laoislad on July 25, 2007, 02:58:13 PM
I bet you if Dublin were playing they would be showing it
WUM alert and you where doing so well ll

Not winding anyone up it's just a fact
You'll Never Walk Alone.

Bogball XV

Quote from: DUBSFORSAM1 on July 25, 2007, 03:14:18 PM
All-Ireland Qtr-finals or a qualifiers game in ..........well its obvious which game is going to be shown!!!!!

Tipperary v's Cork was a far better game than any of the qualifiers on that weekend!!!!

I don't disagree, but it was also a meaningless fixture, even now, people aren't sure if Cork threw the game, or if it was their over-confidence that lost it for them.

Lone Shark

Quote from: Bogball XV on July 25, 2007, 02:48:55 PM
Quote from: Lone Shark on July 25, 2007, 02:44:22 PM
They probably are showing it. I wouldn't like to depend on RTE's website - they certainly fecked me over last week.
It's not on afaik - how did rte's website feck you?  Early kickoff?

No. If it's live on TV, I have to provide in running. In order to do that i have to be available myself, and free up another guy over in the uk for about twenty minutes before the start. it's not a huge thing, but with staffing tight you still need to notify in advance. Up until Thursday, the website had that they were showing a qualifier at 7pm, when no qualifier was set for that time. On RTE's website you can't check listings more than one day in advance for whatever ridiculous reason, so i rang up the sport department to be told that meath and Galway was being shown, but not Cork vs Louth. Fair enough, I checked the website and on Friday there were cartoons at 2 and football at four. I checked again on Saturday morning before hitting the road to drive home, only to get a flood of calls in the car at 2.15 asking why we aren't doing the live game in running and a whole load of pissed off customers.

Of course while he has to accept my explanation at face value, my boss, being a brash londoner, deep down doesn't believe me when I tell him that a national broadcaster had their listings wrong on the morning of the game. You know the way yourself - he says he believes you because he can't prove otherwise, but deep down he feels you're skiving and spinning him a yarn.

So I'm in the doghouse largely because RTE are inept clowns who can't tell you either over the phone or online what matches they'l lbe broadcasting and what ones they won't.

Like I said, don't trust them.

nrico2006

I play hurling and football, but I am a bit fed up myself at RTE's lack of Saturday night qualifier coverage for the football.  There is a few good games on this weekend, and I was particularly looking forward to watching Donegal V Monaghan.  But I'm sure we'll just see another hurling match!
'To the extreme I rock a mic like a vandal, light up a stage and wax a chump like a candle.'

GalwayBayBoy

QuoteBut I'm sure we'll just see another hurling match!

I imagine so. It is the All-Ireland quarter finals after all.

homeofhurling8

Quote from: Bogball XV on July 25, 2007, 03:31:16 PM
Quote from: DUBSFORSAM1 on July 25, 2007, 03:14:18 PM
All-Ireland Qtr-finals or a qualifiers game in ..........well its obvious which game is going to be shown!!!!!

Tipperary v's Cork was a far better game than any of the qualifiers on that weekend!!!!

I don't disagree, but it was also a meaningless fixture, even now, people aren't sure if Cork threw the game, or if it was their over-confidence that lost it for them.

Which people,the mentally unstable ?

The hurling games take precedence this weekend because they are All-Ireland Quarter finals,the football games are qualifiers,whatever the wrongs and rights of showing the Tipp-Cork game rather than a football qualifier a couple of weeks ago Rte have no case to answer for showing All-Ireland quarter finals rather than qualifiers,how many of the football quarter finals do ye reckon will be shown live ? I think we all know the answer to that.

Tyrone Dreamer

Lone Shark - last weekend was exceptional circumstances with the hurling being called off so late on. They only made the call on the Thursday or Friday when the hurling was being postponed to show Cork Louth as they only had 1 gaa game for the weekend. This took the place of the Derry Laois game that they had originally planned to show this Saturday but as theyve 2 hurling games to show they decided to make the switch. It was on some part of their website think the championship bit becasue I checked it there. Its a pity they couldnt show the 3 games this weekend. The Monaghan Donegal game is a big match. They originally had on their schedule to show 2 qualifiers each Satyrday. They have only being showing 1 so Im not sure if theyre going to meet the 50 games promised although there has been a few replays. Hurling should be good this weekend and should def be shown, but would like to have seen both.

TBT

Nice to see that most odious of GAA creatures on display - the gaelic football hypocrite.
Indignant with rage at slights hurling followers place on his precious game whilst at the same time sledging the sh1te out of hurling out of the other side of his mouth.

Bogball XV

Quote from: homeofhurling8 on July 25, 2007, 04:35:24 PMWhich people,the mentally unstable ?

The hurling games take precedence this weekend because they are All-Ireland Quarter finals,the football games are qualifiers,whatever the wrongs and rights of showing the Tipp-Cork game rather than a football qualifier a couple of weeks ago Rte have no case to answer for showing All-Ireland quarter finals rather than qualifiers,how many of the football quarter finals do ye reckon will be shown live ? I think we all know the answer to that.
Nobody is saying that they shouldn't show the hurling first round games, just that coverage of the football qualifiers has been absolutely abysmal this year, as opposed to the hurling qualifiers, which have themselves been absolutely abysmal this year.  It has oft been said before, but give me a bad football match over a bad hurling match any day. 
As for the Tipp v Cork game, who really got the better of the quarter final draw?
Quote from: TBT on July 25, 2007, 04:47:14 PM
Nice to see that most odious of GAA creatures on display - the gaelic football hypocrite.
Indignant with rage at slights hurling followers place on his precious game whilst at the same time sledging the sh1te out of hurling out of the other side of his mouth.
Incidents of the above please?

Stay goalside of your man

Lads we all know hurling is a far better game to watch.
Football these days is the same boring hand passing, kicking the s@~t out of each other and very little scoring.
Now do not get me wrong, the footballers are fitter than the hurlers but the game as a whole is not good to watch.
That's why hurling is on ahead of football most of the time.

neilthemac

and we all know galway vs kilkenny and tipp vs wexford will be two good games

which fixture will have the largest attendance I wonder? the two football qualifiers, or the hurling?

darbyo

While I don't want to add to a Football V Hurling debate as it is the most ridiculous and unfortunate argument amongst GAA people, but comments like

Quotewe all know galway vs kilkenny and tipp vs wexford will be two good games

and

Quotewe all know hurling is a far better game to watch.

are extremely annoying, lads ye speak only for yerselves, we don't all know hurling is the better game, and we definately don't all know that the two Sat. hurling games will be good. Last years Gal. V Kill. QF was poor and Wexford have been hammered by Clare, Kilkenny and Cork in the last few years. I come from a strong hurling/weak football county but I prefer football, I still love hurling and continue to play both codes but football is my first choice to both play and watch. By the way the hurling should be shown this weekend as it is the QF stage but up to now the coverage of the football qualifiers has been poor and it should have got the nod the weekend of the Tipp/Cork match IMO.

Main Street

Quote from: nrico2006 on July 25, 2007, 04:21:26 PM
I play hurling and football, but I am a bit fed up myself at RTE's lack of Saturday night qualifier coverage for the football.  There is a few good games on this weekend, and I was particularly looking forward to watching Donegal V Monaghan.  But I'm sure we'll just see another hurling match!
The 2 qualifiers are on at the same time I think, anyway RTE were only going to show Derry V Laois.
We were already resigned to miss the Monaghan game.

Bogball XV

Quote from: Stay goalside of your man on July 25, 2007, 05:58:44 PM
Lads we all know hurling is a far better game to watch.
Football these days is the same boring hand passing, kicking the s@~t out of each other and very little scoring.
Now do not get me wrong, the footballers are fitter than the hurlers but the game as a whole is not good to watch.
That's why hurling is on ahead of football most of the time.
Hurling qualifiers on tv this year:
Dublin v Cork - abysmal
Clare v Galway - possibly worse than the above game
Tipp v Cork - good game (but one expects that in national league style games with nothing at stake ;))

Hence 66% of all hurling qualifiers shown this year have been shite - I truly have never seen worse than Clare v Galway, even Dublin v Cork was more entertaining.

Stay goalside of your man

Ye are on about qualifiers, the hurling matchs on the weekend are knock out, Galway v Kilkenny in 2005 was one of the best games ever, ok Tip v Wexford May not be a glamour clash, but its more than likely going to be better than a football match.
To me football nearly always looks the same anymore apart from a few teams that play it long.

There are only a few hurling teams and they all bring there individual style to the table. Which is why its so good to watch.
Clare - hitting hard and grafting.
Kilkenny - superb skill and work rate.
Cork - short passing, possession game.
Limerick - real passion for the game when they try.
Galway - skilful fast play, well maybe when they get going this year.
Tip - with babs at the helm a Tip team will always be entertaining.
Waterford - Good open style of play with classy forwards.
Wexford - always good for a laugh.