Quater Finals

Started by Goin Down, July 20, 2007, 05:03:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sorry all, messed up poll so its ruined!

Continue with discussions
0 (0%)
anyway.
0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 0

Voting closed: July 28, 2007, 05:03:20 PM

his holiness nb

I dont think Mary was a big sports fans, all results predictions should be requested in prayer to Jesus.
Ask me holy bollix

Hound

Quote from: Hardy on July 23, 2007, 12:45:16 PM
I see your point of view, Dinny. I just think that in any hype-fest, Dublin have more to lose than Meath. The flags will be out now anyway, but against anyone other than Kerry or Tyrone (whom we'd probably be better avoiding for obvious reasons) and Dublin, we'd be in danger of being on the wrong side of the hype equation, with greater expectations heaped on the team.
I said earlier that I'd like to avoid Meath - because we'd gain little by winning and would be devastated by losing. But I've now a reservation on the basis that I think Meath are least likely of the remaining qualifiers to beat Tyrone or Kerry. If the same players were called any other name, they'd have a decent shot, going in as big underdogs, the other team having been out of action for a period, and likely to take them too lightly. But because they're called "Meath" there'll be no shortage of effort to put one over on them. And on a relatively even playing field I don't think Meath are quite ready for Kerry or Tyrone yet.  And as a Dub, we need at least one of them (or probably both!) to lose to give us a better chance of winning Sam.

I have a fancy that Sligo will win their quarter-final. If they draw Meath or Cork and go in an underdogs I'll definitely have a bet on them.  And I think they'd beat the others too - although I'm a bit less sure about Monaghan and Laois - need to see how they react to their provincial defeats to see how good they are. 

Star Spangler

Hound, when you get to the quarter finals I really don't think there's an issue anymore of any team underestimating any another team.  Once the whiff of Sam is in the air they'll all be fired up for the battle.

Fear ón Srath Bán

Sligo's the real danger team from the perspective of all four qualifiers in the sense that they have been most written off already, before the draw has even been made,  and where a burning desire to roast whomsoever's been drawn against them is already guaranteed for that reason, with an attendant difficulty to lift and motivate the qualifier sufficiently against this supposed '...easily the weakest of the provincial champions'.

And they've still enough players involved now from that team who dumped ourselves in 2002, and who took the eventual AI Champions -- Armagh -- to a replay. They'll be yearning badly to go at least one better this year, and who's to say (provided they've sorted their free kicking out) they won't?
Carlsberg don't do Gombeenocracies, but by jaysus if they did...

Hound

Quote from: Star Spangler on July 24, 2007, 01:37:38 PM
Hound, when you get to the quarter finals I really don't think there's an issue anymore of any team underestimating any another team.  Once the whiff of Sam is in the air they'll all be fired up for the battle.
Probably right SS, but what about Armagh v Fermanagh a few years back?

Kerry, as champions, are probably the most likely to under-estimate a team - subconsciously anyway.

Kerry Mike

We hope not but its all about getting the levels of hunger and intensity correct. After a very long layoff Kerry may find it hard to get into their quarter final which is a big worry.
2011: McGrath Cup
AI Junior Club
Hurling Christy Ring Cup
Munster Senior Football

Star Spangler

Quotebut what about Armagh v Fermanagh a few years back?

Aye maybe.  Tyrone didn't exactly expect a game from Dublin in 2005 either.

Redgreenery

Well we as good as know the quater finalists. Tyrone, Sligo, Kerry, Dublin, Monaghan, Derry, Meath and Cork.
When do we find out whos playing who?

ziggysego

Testing Accessibility

Fear ón Srath Bán

Quote from: Redgreenery on July 28, 2007, 08:40:37 PM
Well we as good as know the quater finalists. Tyrone, Sligo, Kerry, Dublin, Monaghan, Derry, Meath and Cork.
When do we find out whos playing who?

About 6 o'clock tomorrow evening, just after the Sunday Game Live.
Carlsberg don't do Gombeenocracies, but by jaysus if they did...

johnpower

Quote from: Kerry Mike on July 24, 2007, 04:07:57 PM
We hope not but its all about getting the levels of hunger and intensity correct. After a very long layoff Kerry may find it hard to get into their quarter final which is a big worry.

From a Kerry point  of view Derry ,Monaghan or Meath . They will all be tough . Tyrone Meath ,Cork / I expect that they will want to get their Neighbours. For the Super Dubs I think it will be Meath again .

orangeman

Meath and Dublin
Tyrone and Derry
Monaghan and Kerry
Cork and Sligo

that's my guess - but i'd say they've already been picked at this stage ?

PatDaly

Most interesting draw for an Ulster perspective...

Aug 4th: Cork v Tyrone
Aug 4th: Monaghan v Sligo

Aug 11th: Derry v Dublin
Aug 12th: Meath v Kerry

oakleaf stateside

and the first name out of the hat is TYRONE and they will play O MY GOD CAN U BELIEVE IT ITS DERRY
Dont Do It

orangeman

Oakleaf - I think we'll meet -