Cork fans flying the confederate flag

Started by Eamonnca1, August 14, 2017, 06:46:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

tonto1888

Quote from: Orior on August 16, 2017, 09:20:46 PM
Quote from: tonto1888 on August 16, 2017, 08:45:47 PM
Quote from: Eamonnca1 on August 16, 2017, 08:40:28 PM
Quote from: tonto1888 on August 16, 2017, 04:13:03 PM
Another point is why are people only now making such an issue of it?

Same reason it's increasingly unacceptable to use racist epithets.

People have always made issues of this though

Nonsense.

What's nonsense

Eamonnca1

And people have always made issues about the confederate flag. They even fought a war about it at one point.

J70

As I said earlier, the Dylan Roof massacre really threw the Civil War symbolism issue back onto the stage. SC removed the confederate flag from its state houses in the aftermath. One state (Mississippi, if I recall correctly, still incorporates the battle flag into its state flag!). Then throw in Trump and his campaign and the growing profile of the "alt right", along with social media and publicity, and you get the critical mass effect.

tonto1888

Quote from: Eamonnca1 on August 17, 2017, 12:03:06 AM

And people have always made issues about the confederate flag. They even fought a war about it at one point.
Seriously, tell me when people have made issues about cork fans flying that flag in the past. I would like to know

tonto1888

This has been enlightening for me as I've had to do some self learning. Interesting video here. Not sure how old it is but no more than a couple years anyway.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=H1VnD-PRVh8

Orior

In the summer of a very long time ago, I worked in Wildwood NJ on the boardwalk for two months. During that time I wore a teeshirt with a confederate flag on it. Never had a problem with it.
Cover me in chocolate and feed me to the lesbians

BennyCake

Quote from: tonto1888 on August 17, 2017, 05:56:23 AM
Quote from: Eamonnca1 on August 17, 2017, 12:03:06 AM

Seriously, tell me when people have made issues about cork fans flying that flag in the past. I would like to know

Cork fans have been flying that flag, along with Japan, and others since at least 88/89 when the footballers came out of Kerry's shadow.

Donnellys Hollow

Quote from: BennyCake on August 15, 2017, 11:06:56 AM
Someone flying a Union flag at England/Norn Iron match - is that not offensive to atheists, given the links to the saints and christianity?

If someone brought a rainbow flag to Croke Park, is that not offensive to those opposed to gay rights/marriage?

I hope they don't find out about Anthony Rainbow's jersey.

There's Seán Brady going in, what dya think Seán?

Kurtz

Quote from: Donnellys Hollow on August 17, 2017, 12:10:23 PM
Someone flying a Union flag at England/Norn Iron match - is that not offensive to atheists, given the links to the saints and christianity?

If someone brought a rainbow flag to Croke Park, is that not offensive to those opposed to gay rights/marriage?

Or the fact, civil rights hero Martin Luther King thought gays could be cured through psychotherapy

J70

Quote from: Kurtz on August 17, 2017, 01:05:27 PM

Or the fact, civil rights hero Martin Luther King thought gays could be cured through psychotherapy

That is important because...?

Kurtz

Quote from: J70 on August 17, 2017, 01:31:27 PM

He would be considered a bigot under current snowflake rules today
if you cant figure that out then I cant help you any further
maybe we need safe spaces in croke park

J70

Quote from: Kurtz on August 17, 2017, 01:35:05 PM

IF MLK were around and alive today, preaching gay conversion therapy, he would absolutely be discredited in that front, and rightly so.

But he is not famous, or a giant of history, for teaching and activism on gay issues, is he?

So again, so what?

No one ever said MLK or any other man knew everything or, while a visionary on certain issues, was not a man of their time on others.

FDR cheated on his wife. So did JFK. Does that negate their influence and accomplishments?

johnneycool

If you've ever watched any of those retro TV shows like "It was alright in the 70's/80's/90's" there are loads of WTF moments where in this day and age we can't understand how they got away with it.

Cork and the Confederate (battle) flag is just one of those things which no one batted an eyelid back in the day, but now its connotations are of the white supremacists and should be unacceptable in modern Ireland.

Kurtz

Quote from: J70 on August 17, 2017, 01:41:33 PM
Quote from: Kurtz on August 17, 2017, 01:35:05 PM

IF MLK were around and alive today, preaching gay conversion therapy, he would absolutely be discredited in that front, and rightly so.

But he is not famous, or a giant of history, for teaching and activism on gay issues, is he?

So again, so what?

No one ever said MLK or any other man knew everything or, while a visionary on certain issues, was not a man of their time on others.

FDR cheated on his wife. So did JFK. Does that negate their influence and accomplishments?

LOL

Martin Luther King
All these lazy snowflake acronyms

Kurtz

No more che guevara flags either

Her was a book burning racist   :P