AI minor football championship

Started by GalwayBayBoy, July 16, 2017, 06:31:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

magpie seanie

Pretty heartbreaking loss for our minors. Would have been great to make a semi final. Did some of the lads that didn't commit prior to the exams come back on board?

Orchard park

Quote from: Syferus on August 05, 2017, 04:05:20 PM
Quote from: sligoman2 on August 05, 2017, 03:55:36 PM
Quote from: Syferus on July 16, 2017, 10:18:19 PM
Quote from: Captain Obvious on July 16, 2017, 07:01:12 PM
Apart from Cavan v Galway they all look one sided games on paper. No odds on minor anymore but i can imagine Kerry v Dublin All Ireland final would be the shortest odds.

No apart needed.

Once again you get it wrong Sy.  What a biased idiot you are....

Sadly I put too much into them hammering Sligo.

Galway were targeting the AI and after returning many of last year's AI finalists, as well as the best minor footballer in the country in Evan Murphy. They will be desperately disappointed losing at the AIQFs.

Evan Murphy ahead of David Clifford ?.   A touch of hyperbole

Westside

Conditions were tough in Carrick but even so Cavan's basic errors were through the roof for most of the game. They stumbled through the first half lucky that Galway didn't have their scoring boots on. Little changed for the first 10 or 15 minutes of the second half when Cavan all of a sudden we hit a groove. Ruari Curran shot wide across goal, Patterson then hit an unforgivable wide from a goal opportunity with 3 other men he could have passed to for a tap in. Almost right away Curran made another elusive run and popped it to Pierson who rocketed to the top of the net.
Cavan pushed on and Cian Madden was really bossing things around the 40 for Cavan. Cavan made a couple of brilliant interceptions most notably from Curran who was obviously injured and barely able to walk. Saw it out in the end for an unlikely victory.

The referee was terrible, gave Cavan two black cards that were never black cards under the rules. Other than that, the vast majority of decisions went our way and Galway can feel hard done by on that front. Their supporters were, as usual, classy in defeat and in the face of some woeful decisions.
Cian Madden is an outstanding young player and himself, Curran, James Smith and Phillip Nulty were excellent today.
This Cavan team are as game as I've seen from us at Minor level. All of their wins have been coming from 4/5 points behind. Even in the Ulster final when we were outclassed by an excellent Derry team they went at it and played football right 'til the end. However, our execution of some of the basic skills, our kickouts and our freetaking were all well below what is required at this level and a better team would have punished us for that.

Kerry and Clifford loom in the distance but we'll enjoy today.

twohands!!!

Quote from: Orchard park on August 05, 2017, 07:29:55 PM
Quote from: Syferus on August 05, 2017, 04:05:20 PM
Quote from: sligoman2 on August 05, 2017, 03:55:36 PM
Quote from: Syferus on July 16, 2017, 10:18:19 PM
Quote from: Captain Obvious on July 16, 2017, 07:01:12 PM
Apart from Cavan v Galway they all look one sided games on paper. No odds on minor anymore but i can imagine Kerry v Dublin All Ireland final would be the shortest odds.

No apart needed.

Once again you get it wrong Sy.  What a biased idiot you are....

Sadly I put too much into them hammering Sligo.

Galway were targeting the AI and after returning many of last year's AI finalists, as well as the best minor footballer in the country in Evan Murphy. They will be desperately disappointed losing at the AIQFs.

Evan Murphy ahead of David Clifford ?.   A touch of hyperbole

Yup sounds like crazy talk - Clifford looks a once in a generation talent.

Zulu

Bear in mind the poster who said it.

Wildweasel74

Derry were poor the day and that is a concern cause they should have totally over run Sligo, thats didnt happen, Dublin minor may be too strong for us, i thought we would have had a good chance but Kerry going for 4 in a row (crazy) and D Clifford is the best Minor i seen since Anthony Tohill

Sionnach

Dublin complete the semi-final line-up after beating Clare 2-11 to 0-10.  Only one point in it at half-time, but the Dubs eased away in the second half after an early goal.

Dublin v Derry
Kerry v Cavan

Itchy

Conditions perfect at croke park. Hopefully we can put it up to this unbeatable Kerry team.

Il Bomber Destro

You'd imagine Kerry will win this by however much they want but who knows.

The Derry-Sligo, Cavan-Galway teams were very strange results.

Derry beat Cavan comfortably in Ulster but struggled past a Sligo team who got a bit of a trimming from Galway.

Galway hammered Sligo but lost to a Cavan side that got hammered by Derry who in turn struggled past a Sligo side they hammered.

Hard to get a formline there but I would suspect Cavan result was an outlier.

The quarter finals were all closer games than expected so it will be interesting to see how close Cavan can get.

Il Bomber Destro

Madden looks quite impressive.

Great start from Cavan to be fair.

Clifford should be playing further out you'd feel.

Zulu

Great start to the minor, both teams playing brilliant football in tricky conditions and Cavan don't look in any way inferior. Ref doing very well too.

Zulu

Il Bomber Destro

Referee being very harsh on Cavan.

Cunny Funt

Wet weather not really slowing Kerry down 0-8 scored in 20 mins, Galway only managed 0-11 in 60 mins v Cavan.

Zulu

That last free against the Cavan 9 was incorrect alright but other than that he's been good and definitely not harsh on Cavan.