Halloween or Hallowe'en

Started by ONeill, October 31, 2016, 06:00:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ONeill

I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames.

Il Bomber Destro

Not a religious festival so I never bothered with it.

ONeill

You can make it religious though. Rearrange the grotto.

seafoid

"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU

ONeill

Stealin gates and stealing gates and stuff. And dressing up as women. What do young'uns do now?

ardchieftain

It is a religious Festival, it is the fire festival of Samhain.

ONeill

Young lad said 'treat or want yer windees putt in?'.

trueblue1234

Nearly that time of the year again.

Many still dress up to go out these days?

Grammar: the difference between knowing your shit

BennyCake

Trick or treaters get nothing at my door. Feckin' American bullshit. When did that shite make it's way over here?!

rosnarun

Quote from: ONeill on October 31, 2016, 06:37:37 PM
You can make it religious though. Rearrange the grotto.
of course its a religious feast it the holy even before all saints day , it used to be samhain before these same people decided to become Christian and follow christian ways while keeping some of the previous customs.

knocking gates and kicking cabbage were the big thing in mayo also it was the last day to eat blackberrys before the devil pissed on them
If you make yourself understood, you're always speaking well. Moliere

rosnarun

Quote from: BennyCake on October 23, 2017, 12:18:10 PM
Trick or treaters get nothing at my door. Feckin' American bullshit. When did that shite make it's way over here?!
we sent it to them and they are just returning the favours though the irish tradition was ore of the trick variety see my last post.
says a lot about the difference in the 2 countries 
If you make yourself understood, you're always speaking well. Moliere

lurganblue

When i grew up Halloween was great craic. We had a running battle around the estate to hit everything that moved with eggs and "snappies". The local shops did a roaring trade.

magpie seanie

Remember the preparations would be going on well in advance. One of the lads would bunk off school, get the train to Dublin, head straight to Moore Street to buy fireworks with all our saved up cash and get the train straight back down. We'd have an awful job not to let them all off before the actual night. Also got caps that you'd use in a toy gun and folded them and wrapped them round stones with sellotape. Made a nice bang when they landed.

Don Johnson

Quote from: BennyCake on October 23, 2017, 12:18:10 PM

I'd say you would be some craic at a kid's party.

bennydorano

Halloween runs Christmas very close in my house although the youngsters are getting up a bit now. It's massive rise in popularity is part of the Cocacoloisation of the world.