The official dark arts/cynical play thread

Started by BennyHarp, May 09, 2015, 08:47:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

AZOffaly

I was having a good row with Kerry lads yesterday. When Tipp started running at them at pace, they really struggled, and so they were absolutely determined to foul at source after a turnover or quick break. I told them if Donegal did it to them they'd be moaning for a week. They didn't like it :)

rrhf

The emperors clothes and all that...
Fair play.

screenexile

Quote from: AZOffaly on June 15, 2015, 09:51:58 AM
I was having a good row with Kerry lads yesterday. When Tipp started running at them at pace, they really struggled, and so they were absolutely determined to foul at source after a turnover or quick break. I told them if Donegal did it to them they'd be moaning for a week. They didn't like it :)

I read somewhere about Kerry's fouling being the highest in Division one and the foul count against Derry in the league was double Derry's.

They're not the cure hoors for nothing they'll do it regularly throughout the Championship.

Much like Donegal do the 'foul that's not a foul' bit as well where they run straight into the man on the ball without using their arms then hold him up to wait for reinforcements.

rrhf

BennyHarp

Well, as good as the second half was today in Kilarney, it had all the cynicism you could ever wish to see on show. Players rolling around on the floor, sledging, blatant drag downs, exaggerated dives for the penalty, time wasting on kick outs and of course the usual mouthing from "Star". I'm not criticsing the game, just pointing out that it happened. Kerry are the worst in the country for this stuff.
That was never a square ball!!

highorlow

"Star" could be heard over the TV commentary at one stage saying 'red card' to the ref.
They get momentum, they go mad, here they go

larryin89

The mouthing that star gets away with to officials is remarkable , it's like he's give s free pass. Is it not under the black card rule in some from or another.
Walk-in down mchale rd , sun out, summers day , game day . That's all .

From the Bunker

Donaghy is a great talent and a top target man. But you just find yourself disliking him cos of the mouthing, complaining, waving hands etc. For the Neutral he is an unlikable character.

Main Street

Immediately the game is over and the microphone is shoved under Donaghy's mouth, you will not hear a moaning  word  from his mouth. Even if he's been battered black and blue in the game, he will complement the opposition for a tough but fair game.

Though that bit must be down to the kerry blood.

Wildweasel74

Hes battered no more than any other player, Ask Connolly, Gooch, Murphy, McManus, Donaghy constantly cries to the ref

Main Street

Quote from: Wildweasel74 on July 06, 2015, 12:32:24 AM
Hes battered no more than any other player, Ask Connolly, Gooch, Murphy, McManus, Donaghy constantly cries to the ref
I suppose his moaning on the pitch could be down to his tyrone blood, but I'm just speculating.
As soon as the final whistle blows, he switches over and he sounds like a normal graceful cultured  kerryman.
I have experience of these matters because I also have a Kerry mother, I can empathise with Kieran and his cultural turbulence.

Syferus

Quote from: From the Bunker on July 05, 2015, 09:51:41 PM
Donaghy is a great talent and a top target man. But you just find yourself disliking him cos of the mouthing, complaining, waving hands etc. For the Neutral he is an unlikable character.

He's not a 'great' talent but he is a great target man. His career is very strange. Post-2011 he was almost a non-factor (either by his performance on the field or simply by not being picked) for almost three full seasons until a five minute cameo against Mayo reignited a career Donaghy admitted himself was going to peter out with his retirement at the end of the season.

That mouth, though. That mouth.

BennyHarp

Quote from: Main Street on July 06, 2015, 12:27:03 AM
Immediately the game is over and the microphone is shoved under Donaghy's mouth, you will not hear a moaning  word  from his mouth. Even if he's been battered black and blue in the game, he will complement the opposition for a tough but fair game.

A small bit of media training helping him here I'd imagine. He was exceptionally gracious on TV after last years AI final alright.

That was never a square ball!!

Dinny Breen

A couple of minutes to go Kildare up 2 by turn the ball over just inside Offaly half. Mickey Conway drags player down, howls of derision from Offaly supporters mumbles of "well done Mikey" from Kildare contingent, ref issues black card minute wasted game dies out. Not a word on SG or majority of match reports.
#newbridgeornowhere

Main Street

Quote from: BennyHarp on July 06, 2015, 06:21:10 AM
Quote from: Main Street on July 06, 2015, 12:27:03 AM

A small bit of media training helping him here I'd imagine. He was exceptionally gracious on TV after last years AI final alright.
I suppose that is an exception which proves the rule:
The overwhelming smell of another SM medal had an intoxicating effect.
At a rough guess, i'd say the majority  would have shared Donaghy's sentiments, but by the mere act of doing so, he gave Brolly's opinions far too much respect.