Down Club Hurling & Football

Started by Lecale2, November 10, 2006, 12:06:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

thewobbler

Quote from: Brick Tamlin on May 25, 2018, 09:15:08 AM
Nice try Wobbler.
You know exactly what you are doing and its in keeping with the running theme this last 5 or 6 years with your club, key individuals and the relationship with the county board/administration in general. It doesnt seem to be abating either.

Interesting angle. From my perspective I watched in the past year is provide 5 members to the county minor panel, provide a club referee, heftily increase our Down Draw ticket sales, and just this month provided our facilities on 3 Saturdays out of 4 for development squad games.

So unless you're prepared to back up your slander of our club, I'd ask you to retract this nonsense.

Brick Tamlin

No actually youre right.
I fully retract my statement.
Youse are all about the county and fully support the administration in all facets of their operations.

Smurfy123

Brick offering up your pitch for 3 Saturdays is great so I wouldn't try being sarcastic. Whilst I don't agree with Ballyholland publishing the Champions League final like they have done wobbler has a very starting point regarding the use of facilities.

6th sam

Quote from: thewobbler on May 25, 2018, 09:43:53 AM
Nice try Wobbler.
You know exactly what you are doing and its in keeping with the running theme this last 5 or 6 years with your club, key individuals and the relationship with the county board/administration in general. It doesnt seem to be abating either.

Interesting angle. From my perspective I watched in the past year is provide 5 members to the county minor panel, provide a club referee, heftily increase our Down Draw ticket sales, and just this month provided our facilities on 3 Saturdays out of 4 for development squad games.

So unless you're prepared to back up your slander of our club, I'd ask you to retract this nonsense.
Agree totally, wobbler, Ballyholland have contributed more than most.
In my earlier response, I didn't intend to get into the Ballyholland bashing on this board which is ridiculous at times. However your official promotion (including drinks promotion, which is a wider argument) of a rival event to our county's first round usfc , has unfortunately put your club in the spotlight .
I am more interested in challenging fallacies around reasons for GAA fixture decisions( and you have always challenged these in the past tbf, wobbler)
Wobbler always debates with factual back up which is refreshing, but some here just blindly criticise the GAA , including the Ulster council , unfairly, contributing to a snowball effect of negativity which serves no-one well.

Johnnycool similarly is usually a factual contributor, but how can you criticise the GAa/ ulster council for excellent financial governance putting clubs and their amateur volunteers through rigorous financial questioning when they are applying for 6 figure loans. This is a pain in the neck but entirely justified for everyone's benefit. We've all had to go through it as clubs but it's entirely necessary.
If memory serves me right many contributors continue to give the county board  grief for Burrenbridge loan, yet we now criticise good financial governance?
It is also unfair to say the Ulster council give nothing, There is a lag time and a process but  ulster council do give financial assistance, but it obviously can't be excessive as there are ?3-400 clubs under their umbrella, unless you want them to bump up admission prices further!!!
Yes there are weaknesses in the GAA at all levels, and constructive criticism will help us grow, but don't expect unfair GAA bashing to go unchallenged.

johnnycool

Quote from: 6th sam on May 25, 2018, 10:50:49 AM
Nice try Wobbler.

In my earlier response, I didn't intend to get into the Ballyholland bashing on this board which is ridiculous at times. However your official promotion (including drinks promotion, which is a wider argument) of a rival event to our county's first round usfc , has unfortunately put your club in the spotlight .
I am more interested in challenging fallacies around reasons for GAA fixture decisions( and you have always challenged these in the past tbf, wobbler)
Wobbler always debates with factual back up which is refreshing, but some here just blindly criticise the GAA , including the Ulster council , unfairly, contributing to a snowball effect of negativity which serves no-one well.

Johnnycool similarly is usually a factual contributor, but how can you criticise the GAa/ ulster council for excellent financial governance putting clubs and their amateur volunteers through rigorous financial questioning when they are applying for 6 figure loans. This is a pain in the neck but entirely justified for everyone's benefit. We've all had to go through it as clubs but it's entirely necessary.
If memory serves me right many contributors continue to give the county board  grief for Burrenbridge loan, yet we now criticise good financial governance?
It is also unfair to say the Ulster council give nothing, There is a lag time and a process but  ulster council do give financial assistance, but it obviously can't be excessive as there are ?3-400 clubs under their umbrella, unless you want them to bump up admission prices further!!!
Yes there are weaknesses in the GAA at all levels, and constructive criticism will help us grow, but don't expect unfair GAA bashing to go unchallenged.

Factual in so far as there's no harm in due dilligence which trust me as a member of our clubs executive happened internally for many's a late night at the back end of last year, but don't think we didn't ask about grants as we did and got the usual "sorry, not yet, but we'll keep you informed". No emails received as yet.

I just think the Ulster Council has built itself into a little empire which seems to think that the ordinary punter paying in the gate is able and capable of absorbing their costs. They might get a rude awakening if they keep charging £30 entrance fee's

FWIW, the Munster hurling championship costs €25 on the day, €20 if you book in advance. Ulster Council is €8 dearer on advance bookings!

6th sam

Quote from: johnnycool on May 25, 2018, 11:44:51 AM
Quote from: 6th sam on May 25, 2018, 10:50:49 AM
Nice try Wobbler.

Factual in so far as there's no harm in due dilligence which trust me as a member of our clubs executive happened internally for many's a late night at the back end of last year, but don't think we didn't ask about grants as we did and got the usual "sorry, not yet, but we'll keep you informed". No emails received as yet.

I just think the Ulster Council has built itself into a little empire which seems to think that the ordinary punter paying in the gate is able and capable of absorbing their costs. They might get a rude awakening if they keep charging £30 entrance fee's

FWIW, the Munster hurling championship costs €25 on the day, €20 if you book in advance. Ulster Council is €8 dearer on advance bookings!

But the difference is that the Munster round robin means more matches therefore increased total attendances therefore they can afford to decrease ticket costs.
Ticket costs are higher than we all would like, and I think the gaa needs to look at providing more county games over a shorter period of time , allowing players back to clubs earlier but playing plenty of matches when with the county. This would no doubt maintain or improve ticket revenue but also allow reduced cost of match tickets, as per Munster hurling model

SHEEDY

for anyone that's interested.... ;)

Down manager Eamonn Burns has handed a championship debut to Castlewellan's Colm Flanagan for Saturday's Ulster SFC game against Antrim in Newry.

Corner-back Flanagan made his entrance to intercounty football during the Dr McKenna Cup.

With injured Darragh O'Hanlon missing, Darren O'Hagan, Niall McParland and Caolan Mooney are in the half-backs.

An experienced attack includes Kevin McKernan, Conor Maginn, Donal O'Hare, Connaire Harrison and Ryan Johnston.

All Antrim's starting 15 have championship experience with Peter Healy and Ruairi McCann having made the debuts against Donegal last summer.

CJ McGourty is a notable absentee from the squad managed by his uncle Lenny Harbinson after he opted out following the Football League.

Right half-back Kevin O'Boyle captains the team with an experienced line-up also including Ricky Johnston, James Laverty, Niall McKeever, Mark Sweeney, Mark Fitzpatrick and the Murray brothers Conor and Ryan.

After staying in touch with Donegal in the first half of last year's Ulster SFC quarter-final, the Saffrons collapsed to a 3-19 to 1-9 defeat at Ballybofey before exiting at the first stage of the qualifiers against Sligo.

Down reached the Ulster final last year after surprising both Armagh and Monaghan but were heavily beaten by Tyrone in the provincial final.

The Mourne County then exited from the championship when Monaghan avenged their Ulster semi-final defeat by earning a 1-24 to 1-16 win in the last qualifying round.

Both Down and Antrim had uninspiring league campaigns in the Spring with Down relegated to Division Three after defeats by Cork, Clare, Cavan and Meath and the Saffrons failing to get out of Division Four.

Down: M Reid; C Flanagan, B McArdle, A Doherty; D O'Hagan, N McParland, C Mooney; P Turley, N Donnelly; K McKernan, C Maginn, S Millar; D O'Hare, C Harrison, R Johnston.

Antrim: C Kerr; P Healy, P Gallagher, N Delargy; K O'Boyle (capt), R Johnston, J Laverty; P McAleer, N McKeever; M Sweeney, C Murray, R McCann; R Murray, M Fitzpatrick, P McBride. Subs: A Hasson, S Beatty, P Branagan, C Burke, C Duffin, O Eastwood, K Healy, C Lemon, D Lynch, M McCarry, E Walsh.
nil satis nisi optimum

SHEEDY

Comfortable win tonight. strange match, lack of crowd and atmosphere led to it feeling more like a league game. Job done and plenty of players got game time, much tougher next time out though. Good win for u20s, some decent players on show.
nil satis nisi optimum

Nanderson

Good win for Down without really getting out of 3rd gear. Very impressed by the defence and shay millar up front. Donal was his lethal self as well. Him and Harrison had a field day 1 on 1 with there men. Was seriously impressed by the U20's. Some very well developed players in that team like Laverty, Guinness and McConvey. That keeper could also have a good future in nets for Down been a long time since I remember a left footed goalkeeper for Down

Nanderson

Quote from: hardstation on May 26, 2018, 10:22:30 PM
Quote from: Nanderson on May 26, 2018, 10:16:44 PM
That keeper could also have a good future in nets for Down been a long time since I remember a left footed goalkeeper for Down
Haha! WTF?
The U20 keeper not Liverpools

Nanderson

Quote from: hardstation on May 26, 2018, 10:32:55 PM
Still pretty random and irrelevant. I don't remember a wing half back with a shellfish allergy.
Jesus who pissed in your cornflakes. Its just a comment on how every keeper picked for Down over the last decade or so always seems to be right footed

Mourne Rover

Yesterday was a strange game played out in a low key atmosphere against modest opposition, but a win is a win and we have an Ulster semi to anticipate. Our management deserve credit for a disciplined and well organised display in which every man knew his role and stuck to it well. Reid's kick outs were outstanding, and our entire defence was solid throughout against an Antrim side which took a couple of decent long range points but never threatened closer in. Turley and Donnelly were put under no pressure in the middle but still did well, while our forwards did what was asked of them without overachieving

It must be a while since we have fielded a championship team with no Kilcoo player involved at any stage, but hopefully Jerome will be return to give us some options. With a couple of injuries among the fringe figures, bringing back Madine also made sense last night. We can watch today's match and what it throws up knowing that we are largely under the radar but still involved.

Smurfy123

Reid's kickouts were outstanding. He kicked every ball short to a Down man as Antrim did not contest one kickout
It was absolute dire stuff from Down
Antrim have cemented their  place as the worst team in ulster and possibly Ireland

Name me another team in Ireland as bad as Antrim?

OgraAnDun

The optimism here reminds me of the reaction after the Louth match. Donegal will beat us handily enough and depending on the qualifier draw, we might get to Round 4 again, IMO.

Mourne Rover

Smurfy, try watching the game again online and you will see that the idea Reid kicked every ball short is nonsense. He had a few easy ones to his corner backs but he also regularly picked out teammates, particularly Shay Millar, on the half way line and out on the wings. I don't recall one which went astray in the entire match.  We will need to improve substantially if we are to have a long summer, but last night we did what we had to do and the standard of the opposition was not our concern. If you really think Down were `dire', name the players you believe put in poor displays.