Players 'detached from reality', fumes Joey Barton

Started by Denn Forever, December 30, 2009, 08:03:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Denn Forever

Like him or loath him it looks like prison may have changed him.

Heres the link http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/football/teams/n/newcastle_united/8434270.stm
or you can read on below.

Newcastle midfielder Joey Barton claims the decadent lifestyles of many players puts them out of touch with reality.

Barton's own discipline problems have seen him jailed but he told Radio 4's Today programme that gave him a sense of perspective other players lack.

"A lot of them are so detached from reality it's untrue and there was a stage when I was like that," he said.

"It's only the fact I'm grounded by the trouble I've been in that's forced me away from being in the football world."

Barton also said the huge amounts of money players were paid added to their sense of isolation from the world that normal fans live in.

606: DEBATE
Fair play to the lad, he knows he has a lot of detractors in football and this may (although i doubt it) go some way to appease them

Lord Beer!! 
"Driving round in flash cars and changing them like you change your socks, wearing stupid diamond watches and spending money like it's going out of fashion in the middle of a recession when some people are struggling to put food on the table for the kids - it's not the way to do it," he said.

Former Manchester City player Barton, 27, who has one England cap, has been plagued by unsavoury episodes the whole way through his career.

His list of misdemeanours includes stubbing a lit cigarette into the eye of a team-mate, slapping a fan, hitting Manchester City colleague Ousmane Dabo and assaulting a man during a night out in Liverpool, which earned him a six-month prison sentence.

I was forced to address my issues, either carry on doing what you're doing and your career is gone, or you address it

Joey Barton
And he admitted he could have been in even more trouble had other incidents been made public.

"That's the stuff people know about - there's stuff I got away with," he said.

"I'm very fortunate, because of my profile and the job I do, and the fact I'm in the public eye, it got addressed - I was forced to address my issues, either carry on doing what you're doing and your career is gone, or you address it."

Barton addressed some of his personal problems with counsellors at the Sporting Chance clinic, which helps sports men and women with lifestyle and addiction problems, and is now a vocal public advocate of the clinic's work.
I have more respect for a man
that says what he means and
means what he says...

pintsofguinness

Which one of you bitches wants to dance?

johnneycool

Joey wasn't that hot at the old betting as he bet on 30 games he was actually playing in and only got £118 quid in winnings and losing over £3500 in the process....

https://www.balls.ie/football/joey-barton-statement-363854

screenexile

Looks like he's been hung out to dry on this. Players have actively influenced the outcome of games for their own profit and got less of a ban!!

Taylor

His reputation has preceded him here in much the same way than when he got the jail sentence.

While he does come across as a bit of a tube he is being made an example of.

Complete hypocrisy by all involved considering the amounts of money that comes from betting companies and is pumped into the game.

BTW the amount of losing bets he had is shocking. A shite punter. 10 odd bets in Newcastle/PSV game with zero coming through  :-\

seafoid

https://www.theguardian.com/football/2017/apr/26/joey-barton-banned-football-18-months-betting-burnley

"I think if the FA is truly serious about tackling the culture of gambling in football, it needs to look at its own dependence on the gambling companies, their role in football and in sports broadcasting, rather than just blaming the players who place a bet," he writes.
"Surely they need to accept there is a huge clash between their rules and the culture that surrounds the modern game, where anyone who watches football on TV or in the stadia is bombarded by marketing, advertising and sponsorship by betting companies, and where much of the coverage now, on Sky for example, is intertwined with the broadcasters' own gambling interests.
"That all means this is not an easy environment in which to try to stop gambling, or even to encourage people within the sport that betting is wrong.
"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU

Minder

He knew he wasn't allowed to gamble, take your medicine ffs
"When it's too tough for them, it's just right for us"

johnneycool

Quote from: seafoid on April 26, 2017, 03:47:12 PM
https://www.theguardian.com/football/2017/apr/26/joey-barton-banned-football-18-months-betting-burnley

"I think if the FA is truly serious about tackling the culture of gambling in football, it needs to look at its own dependence on the gambling companies, their role in football and in sports broadcasting, rather than just blaming the players who place a bet," he writes.
"Surely they need to accept there is a huge clash between their rules and the culture that surrounds the modern game, where anyone who watches football on TV or in the stadia is bombarded by marketing, advertising and sponsorship by betting companies, and where much of the coverage now, on Sky for example, is intertwined with the broadcasters' own gambling interests.
"That all means this is not an easy environment in which to try to stop gambling, or even to encourage people within the sport that betting is wrong.

He's not wrong when you see Ray Winstons big boat race every farts end during the interval to bet on who does what next or whatever.

seafoid

Quote from: johnneycool on April 26, 2017, 03:58:41 PM
Quote from: seafoid on April 26, 2017, 03:47:12 PM

He's not wrong when you see Ray Winstons big boat race every farts end during the interval to bet on who does what next or whatever.
Sportspeople are 3 times as likely to have a gambling addiction
"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU

Syferus

Always had a soft spot for Barton. A bit of a header but the sort of one you'd love to have a pint with. Ban does seem a little excessive to be honest.

Surely to God he'll get into punditry because he'd be a big improvement on the chuckle brothers on Sky or the zzzzz on the rest of the channels.

AZOffaly

Not sure about having a pint with him. I'd say he'd turn into one of those drunken yobs that you'd try stay a million miles away from...

Syferus

Quote from: AZOffaly on April 26, 2017, 10:37:21 PM
Not sure about having a pint with him. I'd say he'd turn into one of those drunken yobs that you'd try stay a million miles away from...

A pint of Lucozade so.

magpie seanie

Quote from: Minder on April 26, 2017, 03:54:53 PM
He knew he wasn't allowed to gamble, take your medicine ffs

Exactly and it's not like it was one or two bets.....he clearly just said "f**k it, I'll do what I like". He's well down the list of people I'd be having sympathy for.

gallsman

I once had my photo taken with Barton, with the photo being taken by Barry Ferguson. Barton seemed grand but this was early evening time before anyone was sloshed. The look of the crowd they were with wouldn't make me want to have a pint with him to be honest..

magpie seanie

He's in a privileged position of getting well paid for playing a game he loves. If he can't follow a few rules then I've no sympathy for him. We all have to follow rules in our jobs and are likely working longer hours and getting paid a lot less. The cheek of him....it's was a huge number and bets and he has done more than most to squander his good fortune.