All Ireland qualifier: Antrim v Kerry

Started by imtommygunn, July 19, 2009, 10:56:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

longrunsthefox

Quote from: magickingdom on July 23, 2009, 11:39:22 PM
Quote from: Archie Mitchell on July 23, 2009, 11:23:19 PM
So what big Kerry players wont be playing this weekend if the rumours are true. Gooch? Dara O'Se?

rumours in kerry stay in kerry!  ::)

Quote from: Fear ón Srath Bán on July 23, 2009, 11:32:33 PM
I think Bradley's comments were calculated (if somewhat or grossly unfair): the righteous indignation from certain quarters only serves to galvanise the team and fosters an 'us against them' and "up and at 'em" mentality within the team, and that's what Antrim will need buckets of in Tullamore on Sunday.

fear, what antrim should have done was kept it low key and concentrate on the football. throw up another 15 points and you never know what might happen

You mean the rumours like the row in the camp before All  Ireland final when back from suspension Gavlin wanted to pick up cup after they beat Tyrone or the unease among some players that Kinielly came back from Australia and walked onto the team? Are those the type of rumours stay in Kerry?  ;)

Hound

So what big Kerry players wont be playing this weekend if the rumours are true. Gooch? Dara O'Se?
Gooch and Tomas is the rumour I hear.
But you'd have to be slow to believe anything you hear from that county.

orangeman

Quote from: Hound on July 24, 2009, 07:20:34 AM
Gooch and Tomas is the rumour I hear.   SPOT ON HOUND.
But you'd have to be slow to believe anything you hear from that county.

It has been reported today that Tomás Ó Se and Colm Cooper have been dropped from the Kerry starting XV for the clash with Antrim due to disciplinary reasons.

The All-Star pair were told at training on Tuesday night by manager Jack O'Connor due to a breach of disciplinary guidelines after the victory over Sligo last Sunday, claims the Examiner.

Following this the full squad held a player meeting described as 'no holds barred' when issues such as morale, discipline and ambitions for the season were thought to have been discussed.

O'Connor is expected to delay naming the team until Sunday, although the pair are expected to make the substitutes bench.

longball

In papers this morning. Gooch and Thomas O'Se

Neither to be included in team for this weekends match but should be on the bench!

Thomas Walsh also a doubt through injury!

Tadagh is expected to be fit!

Defo something not good in the Kerry camp. Heard that there was some ill feeling re Tadagh and it is well documented about the O'Se's and Jack not seeing eye to eye. Jack had to deny on Tuesday that Marc O'Se has quit the panel.

Would Jack of had the balls to take this stance against these players if they had of been playing a top team this weekend?  no offence to Antrim
Spotted any unladylike behaviour report within:
http://gaaboard.com/board/index.php?topic=13209.0

AZOffaly

To be honest, if Gooch is dropped, I don't think it's anything to do with Antrim. His form is just bad. There are good forwards in Kerry, and Gooch is just off form. Tomás O'Se is a similar story but his form is not as bad as Gooch's. Gooch looks lost without Star, although it may be that Kerry as a whole are lost without Star. I wonder will Micheal Quirke be given a run (and I use the term loosely) at Full Forward.

bcarrier

Agree with all that AZ. In his absence Star's contribution to Kerry has become even more evident. From being one of their best lines the Kerry full forward line has been fairly ineffective ...Tommy Walsh doesnt bring others into play in the same way and at times he has looked like he may be carrying an injury . Hard to pinpoint what is wrong with Gooch but he hasnt been in the zone this year .

longball

Spotted any unladylike behaviour report within:
http://gaaboard.com/board/index.php?topic=13209.0

Jinxy

If you were any use you'd be playing.

Orior

Cover me in chocolate and feed me to the lesbians

bcarrier

AZOffaly

I doubt if the rumours about the lads being dropped from the panel is true, but they may well be dropped on Sunday. If I was Jack O'Connor, I'd be going along the lines of this

Murphy

Marc O'Se   Mick McCarthy   Tom Sullivan

Aidan O'Mahony  Tadgh Kennelly    Killian Young

Darragh O'Se    Seamus Scanlon

Paul Galvin       Declan O'Sullivan     Darren O'Sullivan

BJ Walsh             Micheal Quirke        Tommy Walsh

If Gooch and Tomás are there, I'd play O'Mahoney centre back, and Gooch in the corner. The problem is that Quirke is not as mobile as Donaghy, but he does have good hands and a physical presence. Antrim, and indeed the likes of Tyrone have fast wing backs that attack, which means Darren O'Sullivan is a better bet than Donnacha Walsh in my opinion. Kennelly might be the type of player needed for Centre Back, while Killian Young is wasted in the corner. I'd like to see young Bohane getting a run at full back as well, but probably not now. Tommy Griffen would also be an option for a half back/Midfield role. There's also Sean O'Sullivan, Brian Sheehan and a few others to consider as well. Kerry have the football and the depth, they need to find their mojo fairly quickly though. If they continue as they are going, then Antrim will beat them. Antrim would probably have beaten them in either of their last two games. Maybe Jack is calculating that this is the time to shake things up in a major way.

A Quinn Martin Production

Quote from: AZOffaly on July 24, 2009, 12:07:27 PM
I doubt if the rumours about the lads being dropped from the panel is true, but they may well be dropped on Sunday. If I was Jack O'Connor, I'd be going along the lines of this

Murphy

If Gooch and Tomás are there, I'd play O'Mahoney centre back, and Gooch in the corner. The problem is that Quirke is not as mobile as Donaghy, but he does have good hands and a physical presence. Antrim, and indeed the likes of Tyrone have fast wing backs that attack, which means Darren O'Sullivan is a better bet than Donnacha Walsh in my opinion. Kennelly might be the type of player needed for Centre Back, while Killian Young is wasted in the corner. I'd like to see young Bohane getting a run at full back as well, but probably not now. Tommy Griffen would also be an option for a half back/Midfield role. There's also Sean O'Sullivan, Brian Sheehan and a few others to consider as well. Kerry have the football and the depth, they need to find their mojo fairly quickly though. If they continue as they are going, then Antrim will beat them. Antrim would probably have beaten them in either of their last two games. Maybe Jack is calculating that this is the time to shake things up in a major way.

Agree AZO...O'Connor might reckon that a bit of air-clearing is better done before playing Antrim than later on in the Championship...I'm getting a bit nervous for our boys now :(
Antrim - One Of A Dying Breed of Genuine Dual Counties

bcarrier

Id try something like ....

Murphy

Marc O'Se   D Bohane   Tom Sullivan

Aidan O'Mahony  Mike McCarthy    Killian Young

David Moran   Seamus Scanlon

Paul Galvin       Declan O'Sullivan     T Kennelly

BJ Walsh          Tommy Walsh       Darren O'S

Darragh to come off bench but not start . Moran to hit the frees.

INDIANA

Quote from: AZOffaly on July 24, 2009, 12:07:27 PM

Murphy

They are dropped for this game- not the panel. I agree the form isn't great but they'd still be playing if.........
I actually think Gooch's form isn't that bad. He won some great ball against Sligo- just didn't convert. Generally I'd be more worried about someone who's winning no ball.
The shooting thing is usually a temporary situation.