All Ireland Football Final 2017 Mayo V Dublin

Started by never kickt a ball, August 27, 2017, 07:24:59 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

heffo

Quote from: blast05 on September 22, 2017, 12:25:27 PM

Poor aul John Small
His left jaw needing an ice bag despite it being the right side of his face that Donie Vaughans arm slid up against (after initially making contact with the top of his right arm).

At no stage during Smalls tackle on Boyle or during Vaughans tackle on Small was the left side of his face in contact with the opponent.
The disappointing thing with this image was that the "physio" (or whatever his role was) only applied the ice bag to the face when McQuillan came back on the scene after talking to his linesmen.

Was it as disappointing as Boyle clutching his face on the ground after being shouldered in the chest?

Hound

Quote from: heffo on September 22, 2017, 12:32:16 PM

Poor aul John Small
His left jaw needing an ice bag despite it being the right side of his face that Donie Vaughans arm slid up against (after initially making contact with the top of his right arm).

At no stage during Smalls tackle on Boyle or during Vaughans tackle on Small was the left side of his face in contact with the opponent.
The disappointing thing with this image was that the "physio" (or whatever his role was) only applied the ice bag to the face when McQuillan came back on the scene after talking to his linesmen.

Was it as disappointing as Boyle clutching his face on the ground after being shouldered in the chest?
In fairness, the good thing about Boyle feigning a head injury was that it caused Donie to explode.

AZOffaly

He hit small so hard on the right side, that he gave him swelling on the left side.

rrhf

Small should have went off in last years aif as well. 
Small margins. 

heffo

Quote from: rrhf on September 22, 2017, 12:43:03 PM
Small margins.

The man with the flying elbows should've been sent off lots of times too.

How long do we continue this?

rrhf

Listen ye guys have sam - its all that counts.  Ye also have a media which puts ye on a pedestal of virtue so expect a little backlash on that.  Tyrone used to be mauled for it and it drove them paranoid -  ye guys  just get a little taste of it.  Dont shout it down -  enjoy it while it lasts -  Some day the referees could turn.   

bucko

Getting fed up of all this shite. Thrown GPS trackers, thrown tees, all the off the ball holding, head locking, pull downs etc. No length of debate is going to change the result, all it does is further emphasise the amount of cynicism that exists in the game right now, the utter failure of the black card to deter it, and that the standards of refereeing at intercounty level are miles behind the effort and preparation being put in by the players who play it, when they have to put up with the officiating of clowns like MacQuillan or Deegan. 3 officials and 4 umpires directly involved in officiating the game, with a fourth official on the line and they still can't get it right. Until officials start applying the rules not interpreting them, until refereeing comes up to a more professional and consistent standard, until the GAA start to enforce a zero tolerance on cynical play then it's going to be the same crap going on game in game out for years to come.
Looked at the match, just reinforced my view lack of composure at crucial moments cost us. In any game the only factors you can directly influence are what you have control over. It's amazing the difference one second can make. Donie pauses for one second, realises we have the handy free and the extra man, doesn't retaliate on Small. One more second, Jason Doc takes it in closer and forces Cluxton to commit instead of trying to burst the net from a good distance out. Clarke takes one more second on our last kickout to look up and around and see a better option instead of rushing it and driving it out over the sideline. Small margins. :-\

Lar Naparka

Quote from: magpie seanie on September 22, 2017, 08:23:24 AM
No one does themselves any favours with this "Dublin Joe" rubbish.
For the record, I would not want anything I say or do at any time to be taken as an accusation of bias against Joe Mac.
I have no complaints about his performance on Sunday and I've never voiced/posted anything critical of him on this thread or any one prior to this.
I came across the term "Dublin Joe" literally seconds before I decided to respond to Jinxy's wail of indignant outrage.
I thought this was very funny because I had heard a Dub supporter  a short while earlier launch in to overdrive in his criticism of Joe and his Mayo bias.
Okay, I have an off beat sense of humour but in fact I genuinely feel sorry for any man who refs any game at any time. It a cert that he'll get bollacked by both sides and will continue to be so until the present reffing system is overhauled.

Now, the main reason for my posting anything on the subject had nothing to do with Joe.
The sense of moral outrage over what Lee Keegan did is hypocrisy of the highest order and I'd feel the same way if had been a different player in any other game in any grade. 
Keegan used illegal means to obstruct the free taker. That's a foul by any standards but it ain't a capital offence.
  It would have been a foul, same as standing too near the freetaker or running across in front of him as he went to take the kick or whatever. Donegal and Dublin also were good at this until Pat Gilroy decided that blanket defences and tactical fouling were not the way to go.   
What Leeroy did was no better or worse than Sean Cavanagh did when he dragged the Monaghan player down to prevent a certain score. It was an act calculated to prevent a score, no more and no less. 
This led to the introduction of the much-derided black card so if Keegan dragged O'Callaghan down in the first minute to prevent a certain goal he'd be black carded.
But nobody would be reaching for the smelling salts or mounting high horses to declare the heinousness of his action, would they?             
In objective terms, he committed a foul, which was no better or worse than any other deliberate foul in the course of the game and there were plenty of them.
Nil Carborundum Illegitemi

Tyrdub

Quote from: Hound on September 22, 2017, 12:39:25 PM
Quote from: heffo on September 22, 2017, 12:32:16 PM

Poor aul John Small

In fairness, the good thing about Boyle feigning a head injury was that it caused Donie to explode.

if you have a look at Vaughan immediately after Small hits the ground you'll see Vaughan pointing to his shoulder as if that's all he hit him with, why? Everyone knew he swung his arm

bucko

Quote from: heffo on September 22, 2017, 12:51:01 PM
Small margins.

Michael Dara MacAuley??? :P

magpie seanie

Quote from: bucko on September 22, 2017, 02:05:28 PM
Quote from: heffo on September 22, 2017, 12:51:01 PM
Small margins.

Michael Dara MacAuley??? :P

AOS I'd say. Leads with the elbow every time and always gets away with it. As someone who lost a few teeth despite wearing a gumshield to such an action it's one I'm familiar with. He could also have got a black card when he must have momentarily lost the cool at losing the second half throw in.

There are lots of incidents that were missed.

Rossfan

Larnaparka - the Black Card WAS NOT INTRODUCED AS A RESULT OF THE CAVANAGH FOUL.
Sadly it has always paid to foul in Gaelic Football and continues to do so.
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

AZOffaly

Quote from: Rossfan on September 22, 2017, 04:10:01 PM
Larnaparka - the Black Card WAS NOT INTRODUCED AS A RESULT OF THE CAVANAGH FOUL.

Thanks. I normally have to do that.

Rossfan

Quote from: AZOffaly on September 22, 2017, 04:14:55 PM
Quote from: Rossfan on September 22, 2017, 04:10:01 PM

Thanks. I normally have to do that.

;D :D
I expected better from an intelligent poster like Lar.
Show how an urban myth can even suck in the best.
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

Cunny Funt

Doesn't say much for the security in Croke Park but fair play to the lads  ;D http://hoganstand.com/ArticleForm.aspx?ID=276050