Tyrone v Dublin - The return of the Jedi

Started by Fuzzman, August 05, 2017, 08:46:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Wildweasel74

Leaving the hype aside, Dublin will win this game, have the better players but have weakness at full back without their regular fullback, P Flynn abit older but still there, Mr temperamental will be back, game will be ugly as hell, and not high scoring but Dublin will grind out a win, tyrone will justify they are not far off as the score will be tight, but at the end of the day this type of football style takes you only so far, sooner or later you gotta come out and attack.  Remember this is a team going for 3 in a row, we have had 3 time winners in Kerry 1984-86, over 30 years since that happened. Tyrone downed kerry going for 3 in a  row in 2008

Tyrone could win if they actually left more forwards up, And i start Meyler, and move Donnelly to midfield,and maybe play O`Neill or McCurry up beside Bradley

BennyHarp

Quote from: INDIANA on August 06, 2017, 11:33:51 PM
Huge pressure on Tyrone heading into this game . They are the new team on the block with a young team ,pace , highly skilled young players . Really the pressure is on them to deliver

Dublin are an ageing team defensive team who rarely score anymore . We are travelling in hope . As Sid says above our record of winning all Ireland's in 2011, 2013,2015 and 2016 is over rated . I'm not sure what shit kick a bucket county he's from but obviously I missed their dominance in the same period

Leaving that aside his synopsis is correct . Dublin are on the slide and really people are expecting Tyrone to deliver the victory to put Dublins carcass in the glue factory once and for all

Eh?? Dublin never have to travel anywhere.
That was never a square ball!!

Whishtup

Quote from: Wildweasel74 on August 06, 2017, 11:44:06 PM
Leaving the hype aside, Dublin will win this game, have the better players but have weakness at full back without their regular fullback, P Flynn abit older but still there, Mr temperamental will be back, game will be ugly as hell, and not high scoring but Dublin will grind out a win, tyrone will justify they are not far off as the score will be tight, but at the end of the day this type of football style takes you only so far, sooner or later you gotta come out and attack. Remember this is a team going for 3 in a row, we have had 3 time winners in Kerry 1984-86, over 30 years since that happened. Tyrone downed kerry going for 3 in a  row in 2008

Tyrone could win if they actually left more forwards up, And i start Meyler, and move Donnelly to midfield,and maybe play O`Neill or McCurry up beside Bradley

Have you been watching Tyrone this year?  There is no reason for Tyrone to tactically change anything that they are doing.

BennyHarp

Quote from: Whishtup on August 07, 2017, 12:00:31 AM
Leaving the hype aside, Dublin will win this game, have the better players but have weakness at full back without their regular fullback, P Flynn abit older but still there, Mr temperamental will be back, game will be ugly as hell, and not high scoring but Dublin will grind out a win, tyrone will justify they are not far off as the score will be tight, but at the end of the day this type of football style takes you only so far, sooner or later you gotta come out and attack. Remember this is a team going for 3 in a row, we have had 3 time winners in Kerry 1984-86, over 30 years since that happened. Tyrone downed kerry going for 3 in a  row in 2008

Have you been watching Tyrone this year?  There is no reason for Tyrone to tactically change anything that they are doing.

I was thinking the same. Playing Bradley on his own is not isolating him. When has he ever had the ball without support? His main role is to create the space for runners from deep and he does it brilliantly as well as managing to stay relevant in the attack to pick off scores himself. Tyrone don't kick long balls into him a la Monaghan yesterday. Sticking another man in there doesn't help the game plan and is not needed. Unlike other teams Tyrone, on the break, get players forward in front of the ball not just off the shoulder. Look at the movement of Mulgrew for his scores as an example of this. For me the only way to play against Tyrone is to get a few points in front and sit back, like Mayo did last year. Mimic what we are doing and have the patience to frustrate Tyrone's counter attack by not committing everyone to tag their man or follow the players back. This reduces the effectiveness of the quick break. I don't think Dublin are set up to do this, they commit to attack, will push up and that will play right into our hands. I hope!
That was never a square ball!!

Whishtup

Quote from: BennyHarp on August 07, 2017, 12:17:25 AM

I was thinking the same. Playing Bradley on his own is not isolating him. When has he ever had the ball without support? His main role is to create the space for runners from deep and he does it brilliantly as well as managing to stay relevant in the attack to pick off scores himself. Tyrone don't kick long balls into him a la Monaghan yesterday. Sticking another man in there doesn't help the game plan and is not needed. Unlike other teams Tyrone, on the break, get players forward in front of the ball not just off the shoulder. Look at the movement of Mulgrew for his scores as an example of this. For me the only way to play against Tyrone is to get a few points in front and sit back, like Mayo did last year. Mimic what we are doing and have the patience to frustrate Tyrone's counter attack by not committing everyone to tag their man or follow the players back. This reduces the effectiveness of the quick break. I don't think Dublin are set up to do this, they commit to attack, will push up and that will play right into our hands. I hope!

Bradley's role is a thankless task but very important to the setup.  Big Sean has a marauding role as far as I can make out and often is that extra forward at different stages of the game. 

Il Bomber Destro

Quote from: Whishtup on August 07, 2017, 12:35:57 AM

Bradley's role is a thankless task but very important to the setup.  Big Sean has a marauding role as far as I can make out and often is that extra forward at different stages of the game.

Yup, I think Bradley deserves immense credit this year. What he does up front is extremely selfless, he'll always have his limitations due to his size but he's got a great attitude and is having a brilliant season so far. I think sometimes he's not efficient enough in front of the posts but he had three chances yesterday and he took them all, he'll need to repeat that again when we play Dublin.

McGeary and McCann will come under threat for Dublin but I'd expect the other 13 will definitely start.

sid waddell

Dublin are an ageing team defensive team who rarely score anymore . We are travelling in hope . As Sid says above our record of winning all Ireland's in 2011, 2013,2015 and 2016 is over rated . I'm not sure what shit kick a bucket county he's from but obviously I missed their dominance in the same period

Dublin

Fear ón Srath Bán

Quote from: sid waddell on August 07, 2017, 01:08:49 AM

Dublin

Jebus Indy, didn't realise you were so far gone from us that you'd mistake Sid for a redneck! You OK Bud? :P ;)
Carlsberg don't do Gombeenocracies, but by jaysus if they did...

seafoid

This match boils down to a duel over 2 competIng economic visions.

Tyrone are Brexit with their strong and stable defence, disdain for experts and snowflakes who think the game should be exciting to watch. Puke football is Puke football. No scoring forward is better than a marquee forward who won't say the rosary . Unvindicated assertions of a future of deals within the top 3 . Not interested in the customs union for customs such as kicking the ball long . Want to have the freedom to write their own regulations .

Dublin represent continuity in the EU.  Highly neoliberal with obscure funding arrangements .

"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU

vallankumous

Quote from: seafoid on August 07, 2017, 08:23:02 AM
This match boils down to a duel over 2 competIng economic visions.

Tyrone are Brexit with their strong and stable defence, disdain for experts and snowflakes who think the game should be exciting to watch. Puke football is Puke football. No scoring forward is better than a marquee forward who won't say the rosary . Unvindicated assertions of a future of deals within the top 3 . Not interested in the customs union for customs such as kicking the ball long . Want to have the freedom to write their own regulations .

Dublin represent continuity in the EU.  Highly neoliberal with obscure funding arrangements .

Colm Cavanagh says two rosaries for every man not saying one.

The Golden Years

Quote from: Il Bomber Destro on August 07, 2017, 12:58:44 AM
Quote from: Whishtup on August 07, 2017, 12:35:57 AM

Yup, I think Bradley deserves immense credit this year. What he does up front is extremely selfless, he'll always have his limitations due to his size but he's got a great attitude and is having a brilliant season so far. I think sometimes he's not efficient enough in front of the posts but he had three chances yesterday and he took them all, he'll need to repeat that again when we play Dublin.

McGeary and McCann will come under threat for Dublin but I'd expect the other 13 will definitely start.

Aidan McCrory bound to be under threat also.  Very poor on Saturday.  If tyrone want to win an all ireland he needs to be sitting on the bench at the very most

omagh_gael

There is more chance of Aiden sitting on the bench than Arlene Foster leading the next Pride event in Belfast. Aiden is solid and predictable, he doesn't lose the ball a lot or make a lot of mistakes. However, he doesn't do a whole pile either. He's a strange one. I am struggling to think of one standout bit of play from the last two matches. He's not an out and out marker and doesn't do a whole pile moving forward.

This is not meant as a slight on the man or footballer, rather a constructive criticism. I really can't see why a younger, more dynamic footballer couldn't get a shot in the corner. Surely someone like Rory Brennan would be ideal. He's dependable, good defender and also would contribute a whole pile more to the attack.

Tyrdub

Quote from: omagh_gael on August 07, 2017, 09:37:06 AM
There is more chance of Aiden sitting on the bench than Arlene Foster leading the next Pride event in Belfast. Aiden is solid and predictable, he doesn't lose the ball a lot or make a lot of mistakes. However, he doesn't do a whole pile either. He's a strange one. I am struggling to think of one standout bit of play from the last two matches. He's not an out and out marker and doesn't do a whole pile moving forward.

This is not meant as a slight on the man or footballer, rather a constructive criticism. I really can't see why a younger, more dynamic footballer couldn't get a shot in the corner. Surely someone like Rory Brennan would be ideal. He's dependable, good defender and also would contribute a whole pile more to the attack.

For some of the first half he was actually standing in the corner forward position, I think he was given a man marking role maybe and tha'ts where his marker took him.

As a Dublin fan I'm worried about the semi final, for 2 years now I've told herself that I think Tyrone are the only team capable of beating Dublin, i hope I'm wrong or she'll tear into me in 3 weeks time

Taylor

It will be a game for the ages and one that I doubt we will come out the right side of.
The biggest factor will be the referee.

On Saturday we got plenty from the referee - thought he was harsh on Armagh although maybe I was feeling sorry for them given the hammering they were taking. All the 50/50 calls went our way.

The Dublin media & pundits will go into overdrive in the lead up to this to plant seeds in his head about our tackiling