FAI...New Manager Hunt continues

Started by Cúig huaire, November 19, 2009, 01:34:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

seafoid

Quote from: Blowitupref on September 10, 2023, 10:08:37 PM
Have to agree with the fellas in the RTE studio, the only chance of playing in another major tournament in the foreseeable future is to host it.

Not in the next Nations League or World Cup qualifier but :

1. The younger cohort may turn out to be better than the mostly championship stalwarts we have  now.  We all know clubs that were shite who suddenly started winning because some good young lads came along and gelled with the older players. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hk_kZspsp1o

2. Or we may get a decent midfielder who can link up with Ferguson and can operate on the half turn. The current squad is very limited without Ferguson. A majority of them are plodders. If we had 2 or 3 younger players with the talent , the drive and the potential of the young Seamus Coleman we could build a team around youth. Ferguson isn't even 20.

3 It's also important to remember that by some fluke we have a generational talent. Scotland in rugby were shite for years until Finn Russell came along, amongst other things. As Kenny has noted, we lose most matches by 1 goal. Ferguson could address this as soon as he adjusts to international soccer.

4. The work that Kenny did might bear fruit over time 

We have really been in a slump for 20 years. The last time we had a half decent team was during the Henry handball incident. It will not go on forever.

The noise from the crowd after the Irish goal was fantastic to hear.

Captain Scarlet

A championship team with a PL starter and a Serie A player benched in the France game...throw them in IF what we say about Kenny is bringing in younger players.
This season is a write off so let's see Collins O'Shea Omobamidele with Festy and Manning there too for at least one game.
Try Ferguson and Sinclair Armstrong up top too for a bit.
them mysterons are always killing me but im grand after a few days.sickenin aul dose all the same.

seafoid

Soccer is all about money. The best players cost more.

I had a look at the transfermarkt.de website after the first France match.
The average value of the Irish players was €6.2 m. That's heavily weighted to championship. If they were better they would be worth more

The average value of the French players was €67m.
Even valuing Ferguson at €100m wouldn't bridge the gap

Captain Obvious

Quote from: seafoid on September 11, 2023, 07:39:54 AM
The work that Kenny did might bear fruit over time 

His time as manager will bear about as much fruit as Steve Stauntons time did. As in bringing in a more experienced manager who was just handball incident away from reaching back to back major competitions.

seafoid

Quote from: Captain Obvious on September 11, 2023, 02:25:14 PM
Quote from: seafoid on September 11, 2023, 07:39:54 AM
The work that Kenny did might bear fruit over time 

His time as manager will bear about as much fruit as Steve Stauntons time did. As in bringing in a more experienced manager who was just handball incident away from reaching back to back major competitions.
I wouldn't be sure about that.

Captain Obvious

Quote from: seafoid on September 11, 2023, 05:49:15 PM
Next manger appointment will be a crossroads moment for the FAI.

Bring in another inexperienced manager who convinces some that the style of football is more important than results and it will be more of the same for the next couple of qualifying competitions.

seafoid

Quote from: Captain Obvious on September 11, 2023, 06:59:01 PM

Bring in another inexperienced manager who convinces some that the style of football is more important than results and it will be more of the same for the next couple of qualifying competitions.
I agree. They cannot possible do that. They need someone who can bring the team on and leave it in a better state. Someone like Vera Pauw !

Joeythelips

Surely Ireland need to look for a club manager who had some success with improving players who were good to average players and have a system of play to brings some success.

I'm not saying they could get him but a person like Graham Potter springs to mind (insert wizard/magic joke/pun here). He took over a Brighton team who played a very defensive style due to the limited players they had, Potter came in a turned them into a passing team who could compete with so called better teams. He would also be an ideal continuation and improvement on the work Kenny has been trying to do. After his experience with Chelsea he might like an international job.

mouview

Quote from: seafoid on September 11, 2023, 08:18:30 PM

I agree. They cannot possible do that. They need someone who can bring the team on and leave it in a better state. Someone like Vera Pauw !

https://www.rte.ie/sport/soccer/2023/0911/1404711-bitter-oneill-claims-kenny-was-anointed-by-the-media/

It might seem like sour grapes from O'Neill, but he does have a point. An international manager by necessity is rather limited in what he can do with his squad, and how he shapes the way they play, as he only has them for finite blocks of days every year.

The simple fact of the matter is that we're not a soccer nation, and bar the mercenary/granny rule days of the past, never really have been.

Sportacus

How the Jaysus did we beat Scotland 3-0 a year ago? They were booed off the pitch.

seafoid

Quote from: mouview on September 11, 2023, 09:16:21 PM
Quote from: seafoid on September 11, 2023, 08:18:30 PM

https://www.rte.ie/sport/soccer/2023/0911/1404711-bitter-oneill-claims-kenny-was-anointed-by-the-media/

It might seem like sour grapes from O'Neill, but he does have a point. An international manager by necessity is rather limited in what he can do with his squad, and how he shapes the way they play, as he only has them for finite blocks of days every year.

The simple fact of the matter is that we're not a soccer nation, and bar the mercenary/granny rule days of the past, never really have been.
The soccer pool is relatively small so the cycle of finding decent players is very long and in between there are long stretches of mediocrity.

From the Bunker

We have always in the past produced a Giles, Brady, Whelan, McGrath, Keane (x2), Duff, Given, Irwin. What ever helped form those players into what they became? Hardly from our underage system, but we fluked these players somehow.

I'm guessing these lads were Soccer only. None of those lads really played Gaelic.

Was talking to a Dub a couple of years ago and he said James McCarthy was a super Soccer player, would have made it at some level cross channel. But culturally he was never going to give up Gaelic football.
The Dubs line was that ''He could be living like a King (on soccer wages) but gave the chance up for a few AI medals that he keeps at home in a sock while working for a middle class wage with AIB.

And that's it, most of our athletic lads go for the Cultural option.

manfromdelmonte

Quote from: From the Bunker on September 11, 2023, 10:06:29 PM

We have always in the past produced a Giles, Brady, Whelan, McGrath, Keane (x2), Duff, Given, Irwin. What ever helped form those players into what they became? Hardly from our underage system, but we fluked these players somehow.

I'm guessing these lads were Soccer only. None of those lads really played Gaelic.

Was talking to a Dub a couple of years ago and he said James McCarthy was a super Soccer player, would have made it at some level cross channel. But culturally he was never going to give up Gaelic football.
The Dubs line was that ''He could be living like a King (on soccer wages) but gave the chance up for a few AI medals that he keeps at home in a sock while working for a middle class wage with AIB.

The easy option
Much harder to make it as a pro footballer

Itchy

Quote from: manfromdelmonte on September 11, 2023, 10:34:32 PM
Quote from: From the Bunker on September 11, 2023, 10:06:29 PM

The easy option
Much harder to make it as a pro footballer

The sensible option, giving up on your mates for some ridiculous one in 5 million shot at bring rich. Load of bullshit

Blowitupref

Not counting challenges

26 games under Kenny now.  Won 5 Drew 7 Lost 14 scored 27 and conceded 30

Martin O'Neill and again not counting challenges.

Played 31  Won 12 Drew 12 Lost 7 scored 38 conceded 27
Is the ref going to finally blow his whistle?... No, he's going to blow his nose