FAI...New Manager Hunt continues

Started by CĂșig huaire, November 19, 2009, 01:34:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Itchy

Quote from: snoopdog on September 27, 2022, 09:36:55 PM
Quote from: Itchy on September 27, 2022, 09:20:38 PM
This could lose Kenny his job if it stays like this
I know the football has improved but with a 22% win rate does he deserve any longer?

I was a supporter of the project in the sense I know there's no future playing the way we use to play but that today was shite. No cut or creativity and then to concede 2 woeful goals and get a lucky penalty to save their bacon. Not good enough

Itchy

Quote from: From the Bunker on September 27, 2022, 09:39:13 PM
Hourihan and Hendrick will be relieved! Kenny deserves a bit of luck.

You can add Doherty to that. How is Ogbene not getting on ahead of Robinson on current form?

seafoid

Lost to all the other teams. It was a poor campaign. 4 points off second place.

Look-Up!

You can say the football has improved a bit but passing and composure still absolutely shocking at times. Even with the Armenia meltdown and up against 9 men the amount of times we hoofed the ball back up the park to them was extremely amateurish. Had they kept 11 men I'm not confident we would have seen that game out.

weareros

Too jittery now, both the manager and his team. When that happens and it happened to lots of Irish managers from Hands last two campaigns up to Kenny, teams go nowhere. He won't qualify for Euros. Cut losses now..and Crawford also blew a great chance for U21s with his negative setup in the playoff.

Ed Ricketts

I'm a fan of what Kenny is trying to do, but he deserves shot with a ball of his own dung for how that last half hour went.

Trying to see out a game with a midfield of Hendrick, Hourihane and Knight was ridiculous. Three powder puff lads that hate to be anywhere near a tackle. That was a giddy midfield, set-up by a manager who thought the game was won and went chasing goals for big showboat finish.

Watched most of the last two U21 games. Israel probably the better side overall, but were more than beatable. Same old story with Ireland - disciplined and solid, but no cutting edge going forward. Good campaign on the whole, though. We're becoming more competitive at this grade.
Doc would listen to any kind of nonsense and change it for you to a kind of wisdom.

mouview

Quiz question; what was unusual (and unique in the previous Nations League fixture featuring the sides) in tonight's match between Kosovo and Cyprus?

Itchy

Quote from: Ed Ricketts on September 27, 2022, 11:39:59 PM

I'm a fan of what Kenny is trying to do, but he deserves shot with a ball of his own dung for how that last half hour went.

Trying to see out a game with a midfield of Hendrick, Hourihane and Knight was ridiculous. Three powder puff lads that hate to be anywhere near a tackle. That was a giddy midfield, set-up by a manager who thought the game was won and went chasing goals for big showboat finish.

Watched most of the last two U21 games. Israel probably the better side overall, but were more than beatable. Same old story with Ireland - disciplined and solid, but no cutting edge going forward. Good campaign on the whole, though. We're becoming more competitive at this grade.

I think Knight is a fine player and should be omitted from your criticism. Hendrick and Hourihane were terrible, so was Robbie (I'm the only one who can cross a ball) brady and Doherty (who maybe has excuse he's not match fit)

For all our possession we've no cut to us and no flair so we really struggle to break down even very poor teams like Armenia

seafoid

Just vs Armenia in the 2 games

The last third and the lack of concentration in the defence
were problems in both matches.

An Watcher

Agree with some of the views on here.  Very supportive of what Kenny is trying to do but no excuse for that last night.  Lucky we won as otherwise we could have damaged our rankings.  I am doubting Kenny now going forward.  Decent as good sides but unable to put away small teams at home.
As for the u-21s do they not deserve credit for making play offs in the first place ahead of Sweden.  Never going to win that group ahead of the Italians.  Israel threw a couple of big names into their team with limited success.  Could we have threw in parrot?  Don't know but last night was an excellent performance against a decent side away from home.  Be interesting to see how they go in the finals

naka

Quote from: seafoid on September 27, 2022, 09:45:36 PM
thought we were pretty poor last night.
plenty of possession but really no direction or plan for the front third.Armenia were pretty dreadful and could have won it in teh end up.
would cut my losses on Stephen as i really dont see the improvement

Look-Up!

Whatever about the game that interview was car crash stuff last night. If a team is a reflection of its leadership then never was it more apt than with that interview. Just meandering and directionless waffle. Stan took a lot of slack for his inarticulate demeanour but at least you always knew the point he was trying to get across. Kenny was just bizarre, big happy head and couldn't even finish his sentences. Was like a lad on meds.

mouview

Quote from: naka on September 28, 2022, 10:59:13 AM
Quote from: seafoid on September 27, 2022, 09:45:36 PM
thought we were pretty poor last night.
plenty of possession but really no direction or plan for the front third.Armenia were pretty dreadful and could have won it in teh end up.
would cut my losses on Stephen as i really dont see the improvement

A certain amount of improvement in the quality of football played, but little in the way of results; for every home win v Scotland, there's a home defeat to Luxembourg or an away one to Armenia. Stick or twist won't make much overall difference; replacing Kenny with another won't improve results much or boost qualification chances. We are what we always were, mediocre at soccer and never seemingly capable of breaking through the ceiling to really competing at the top level.

themac_23

Stephen Kenny has to go, he's out of his depth. We need a manager who realises that in international football you have to play the cards you're dealt with regards your approach and your players. we dont have the players for playing out from the back all the time, there's a time and a place. we need someone who is going to be more pragmatic in their approach, Id love to see Chris Houghton take the job, he knows how to deal with players in the lower levels of England and knows how to get a winning formula.

An Watcher

The thing is we do have the players to play out from the back.  That has been obvious recently and probably the main reason big Duffy didn't get a game at all.  Keep going with this project, I'm just not convinced Kenny is the right man any more