Quote from: tiempo on September 07, 2021, 10:54:23 PM
Quote from: Baile Brigín 2 on September 07, 2021, 09:00:42 PM
Quote from: tiempo on September 07, 2021, 03:50:30 PM
Quote from: Baile Brigín 2 on September 07, 2021, 03:16:07 PM
Quote from: tiempo on September 07, 2021, 02:14:38 PM
Quote from: Baile Brigín 2 on September 07, 2021, 12:29:17 PM
Quote from: tiempo on September 07, 2021, 11:18:21 AM
Genuine question

Would the 11 of the peak Dublin all conquering 6 IAR team beat the Luxemburgers at Lansdowne?

I say yes

Would a team of amateur players in a different sport beat full time pros in another? Are you for real?

Ireland's GAA stars routinely beat Australia's AFL stars

Not in Aussie Rules....

I stand by my point. Kevin Moran, Seamus Coleman and scores of others went abroad with a GAA background and made the top level. GAA lads are going to Aus and making the top level. The Dubs would punish the Lux'burgers, to suggest otherwise is silly

Moran played LoI before he lined out for the Dubs. Using your logic LoI players would boss football..

Coleman was always a soccer player who played some GAA. I can't think of any player who jumped from the GAA to professional football.

Its absolute nonsense to suggest lads who have never played a sport could just pick it up and beat a bunch of pros. Then add in the amateur v professional fitness levels and thats another layer. Offensive nonsense.

It's offensive to lose to a load of bin men and posties from Luxembourg tbh. Absolutely no doubt Dean Rock would rattle off a load of shots at the so called onion bag and Con would rip their midfield a new one.

And yes why wouldn't they be competitive at the rugby World Cup against Canada? Nothing to fear from a few off season ice road truckers

Because they don't play rugby you dimwit.

Where is this binmen noise coming from? They have players in the top flight in Germany, Belgium, France, Holland,Austria, the US, Ukraine and 2nd tier in England.

Give over.

seafoid

Quote from: imtommygunn on September 07, 2021, 09:35:36 PM
On another note I don't think the south's players have been better than the north's for a while tbh.
The North has a better system at the moment.

seafoid

https://www.irishtimes.com/sport/soccer/international/ireland-fight-back-to-earn-a-late-draw-against-serbia-1.4667810?mode=ampOnly problem, Kenny screams like the ghost of the canary in the coal mine, is "limited infrastructure, finance and facilities in Ireland."

Sisyphus had an easier gig, but at least the rock is nearly up the hill after this result.

Fear Bun Na Sceilpe

Quote from: seafoid on September 08, 2021, 05:23:20 AM
Quote from: imtommygunn on September 07, 2021, 09:35:36 PM
On another note I don't think the south's players have been better than the north's for a while tbh.
The North has a better system at the moment.

Whats the system?

tiempo

Quote from: Baile Brigín 2 on September 08, 2021, 12:55:14 AM
Quote from: tiempo on September 07, 2021, 10:54:23 PM
Quote from: Baile Brigín 2 on September 07, 2021, 09:00:42 PM
Quote from: tiempo on September 07, 2021, 03:50:30 PM
Quote from: Baile Brigín 2 on September 07, 2021, 03:16:07 PM
Quote from: tiempo on September 07, 2021, 02:14:38 PM
Quote from: Baile Brigín 2 on September 07, 2021, 12:29:17 PM
Quote from: tiempo on September 07, 2021, 11:18:21 AM
Genuine question

Would the 11 of the peak Dublin all conquering 6 IAR team beat the Luxemburgers at Lansdowne?

I say yes

Would a team of amateur players in a different sport beat full time pros in another? Are you for real?

Ireland's GAA stars routinely beat Australia's AFL stars

Not in Aussie Rules....

I stand by my point. Kevin Moran, Seamus Coleman and scores of others went abroad with a GAA background and made the top level. GAA lads are going to Aus and making the top level. The Dubs would punish the Lux'burgers, to suggest otherwise is silly

Moran played LoI before he lined out for the Dubs. Using your logic LoI players would boss football..

Coleman was always a soccer player who played some GAA. I can't think of any player who jumped from the GAA to professional football.

Its absolute nonsense to suggest lads who have never played a sport could just pick it up and beat a bunch of pros. Then add in the amateur v professional fitness levels and thats another layer. Offensive nonsense.

It's offensive to lose to a load of bin men and posties from Luxembourg tbh. Absolutely no doubt Dean Rock would rattle off a load of shots at the so called onion bag and Con would rip their midfield a new one.

And yes why wouldn't they be competitive at the rugby World Cup against Canada? Nothing to fear from a few off season ice road truckers

Because they don't play rugby you dimwit.

Where is this binmen noise coming from? They have players in the top flight in Germany, Belgium, France, Holland,Austria, the US, Ukraine and 2nd tier in England.

Give over.

Aye and neither did Marty Clarke play AFL.

You seem to have a major horn for Luxemburgers. Are you Azerbaijani in disguise?

lurganblue

Got home from coaching and caught the 2nd half.  Feck i enjoyed that.  Playing out from the back.  Passing through the lines.  Ok we still look to lack the killer punch but suddenly there is a little bit of hope.

Very impressive from Omobamidele.  There would have been some scenes if his shot at the end nestled in the top bag.

tiempo

Quote from: lurganblue on September 08, 2021, 09:35:44 AM
Got home from coaching and caught the 2nd half.  Feck i enjoyed that.  Playing out from the back.  Passing through the lines.  Ok we still look to lack the killer punch but suddenly there is a little bit of hope.

Very impressive from Omobamidele.  There would have been some scenes if his shot at the end nestled in the top bag.

Top bins young lion top bins...  ;)

general

Was at the Aviva Last night - lets not kid ourselves, 1st half was absolutely dire. We had to wait til the Serbs went 1 up to even look like we wanted to move the ball forward. Felt bad for Adam idah - often left lone up top against 2 vastly experienced centre halfs.

Relied on Bunzanu to pull us out of a hole on a number of occasions, which he did - absolute shining star for us.

I felt McClean had a much better game, played with real hunger and passion.

Why did we have to wait til the 2nd half to press up and look like we wanted to score though?? Seemed to be serious support across the stadium for kenny last night - i'd be on that too. We were never going to qualify and it has been a good chance to blood new youngsters. He should be marked on the next campaign.

Fear Bun Na Sceilpe

Quote from: general on September 08, 2021, 09:43:10 AM
Was at the Aviva Last night - lets not kid ourselves, 1st half was absolutely dire. We had to wait til the Serbs went 1 up to even look like we wanted to move the ball forward. Felt bad for Adam idah - often left lone up top against 2 vastly experienced centre halfs.

Relied on Bunzanu to pull us out of a hole on a number of occasions, which he did - absolute shining star for us.

I felt McClean had a much better game, played with real hunger and passion.

Why did we have to wait til the 2nd half to press up and look like we wanted to score though?? Seemed to be serious support across the stadium for kenny last night - i'd be on that too. We were never going to qualify and it has been a good chance to blood new youngsters. He should be marked on the next campaign.

agreed

imtommygunn

McClean takes some stick but I wasa season ticket holder for eight years until recently and he showed more fight than anyone else by a long way in that time. Should fight be a prerequisite yes but when it's lacking you need boys like him about

johnnycool

Quote from: imtommygunn on September 08, 2021, 11:03:49 AM
McClean takes some stick but I wasa season ticket holder for eight years until recently and he showed more fight than anyone else by a long way in that time. Should fight be a prerequisite yes but when it's lacking you need boys like him about
Without sounding like Roy Keane, is that not a given for a professional footballer to actually put the effort in?

Running around a lot sometimes doesn't impress me if he can't put a decent cross in or he's chasing back to make up for yet another misplaced touch or pass.

An Watcher

Maybe it is a given for any professional footballer but why then is that not the case.  James McClean may not be the greatest player in the team (altho I do think he should have got poty a few years back after scoring in Austria and wales) but he'll be in the top few for effort in every game.  Players such as Matt Doherty and Jeff Hendrik could improve in this area and they are playing at a higher level.

On a separate issue, did I see Robbie Brady on the bench/stands last night? Think he is without a club but maybe training with ireland?

Cobra

Keeper kept Ireland in it. They were dire even of they did try to pass it around in a big circle going nowhere. The most fortunate goal you'll ever see. Unfortunate for Ireland that the Serbs gave it to them... Kenny will hang on another bit. He's out of his depth. I feel for Kenny but he hasn't the ability to get the best out of a very limited bunch of players.

Captain Scarlet

I was excited about Kenny and still do back him but it was embarrassing listening to George Hamilton and Stephen Kenny on comms. You'd swear we played Brazil off the pitch.

Still I was fully invested and delighted to get the late goal. This craic of people not wanting the team to win is bollox to me.

It's not a case of either playing progressive football or hoofball. There can be a mix. We are hearing about the new style but I saw a stat that there were 30 crosses in the second half alone last Saturday.
Last night McClean whipped in crosses as soon as he could, but we didn't get enough bodies in.

Also I can't listen to all the praise Kenny is getting re Omobamidele without anyone asking why the feck he dropped him, brought in McClean and switched Doherty across (after a great game on the left v Portugal) when Azerbaijan came to town?

Like it's not always a personal attack on Kenny to question things.

them mysterons are always killing me but im grand after a few days.sickenin aul dose all the same.

imtommygunn

JC unfortunately if you went to the Aviva regularly you would see effort is not a pre requisite on quite a few occasions.

McClean is car crash no doubt but at least he plays with a bit of urgency.