FAI...New Manager Hunt continues

Started by Cúig huaire, November 19, 2009, 01:34:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SHEEDY

Quote from: Hound on September 04, 2021, 10:04:27 PM
I thought we played really well in the first half. I only saw bits and pieces of the 2nd.

But we don't have a goal scorer. That's not the managers fault. He's trusting them to play football, and at times we're playing really good football, but we've nobody to put the ball in the back of the net regularly.

We simply don't have the players. Any recent transfers of Irish players is lads moving down a division to try and get football.

Very unfortunate not to hold out against Portugal. Under pressure for the first 15 or 20 mins and the last 10. The middle hour or so, we were absolutely brilliant, especially considering the low level of football most of the lads play at. Didn't get the result but Kenny deserves credit for the way he had those lads playing.

At the end of the day, it's only soccer. And Kenny deserves time.
"we simply don't have the players".
You seriously suggesting we don't have the players to beat Luxembourg and Azerbaijan at home. Our play seem to consist of getting it out wide to McClean to cross it in to Shane Duffy 😕
nil satis nisi optimum

michaelg

Quote from: SHEEDY on September 04, 2021, 11:44:16 PM
I thought we played really well in the first half. I only saw bits and pieces of the 2nd.

But we don't have a goal scorer. That's not the managers fault. He's trusting them to play football, and at times we're playing really good football, but we've nobody to put the ball in the back of the net regularly.

We simply don't have the players. Any recent transfers of Irish players is lads moving down a division to try and get football.

Very unfortunate not to hold out against Portugal. Under pressure for the first 15 or 20 mins and the last 10. The middle hour or so, we were absolutely brilliant, especially considering the low level of football most of the lads play at. Didn't get the result but Kenny deserves credit for the way he had those lads playing.

You seriously suggesting we don't have the players to beat Luxembourg and Azerbaijan at home. Our play seem to consist of getting it out wide to McClean to cross it in to Shane Duffy 😕
Why should the ROI expect to be beat Azerbaijan when they have a population twice the size?

Mikhail Prokhorov

Quote from: michaelg on September 04, 2021, 11:55:38 PM
Quote from: SHEEDY on September 04, 2021, 11:44:16 PM

Why should the ROI expect to be beat Azerbaijan when they have a population twice the size?

all our best players play for england, rice, grealish, maguire, rooney, kane

Baile Brigín 2

We can argue he doesn't have the players, but he choses not to pick his best ones.

Bazunu has the shirt, but a part time player ahead of Randolph?

3 at the back and a holding midfielder at home to Azerbaijan?

Molumby ahead of Browne or Hourihan?

McClean full stop. Love the man and his passion but he has dropped 3 divisions in 3 years club wise. He wasn't magnificent to start abd those days are a distant memory.

What am I missing about Troy Parrott? He is so far off this standard its frightening. The lad will be in the LoI in 2 years. But at least those in the know say he has potential. Connolly is absolutely shite. So why are they in ahead of Robinson? There are a half dozen LoI players with more technical ability, experience and goals who just didn't have the luck to wash through an EPL club and pick up a few games.

I profoundly agree with his overall philosophy that we can play decent football and the kick and chase thing lasted a decade longer than it should have and that the Irish game needs to stop being so dependent and obsessed with England. But to win the war he needs to start winning some battles, and playing prospects who clearly aren't ready is failing. Forget about blooding youth with a view 2 years down the road for now. He won't be here in 2 years on this form.

seafoid

general

Quote from: Baile Brigín 2 on September 05, 2021, 01:31:40 AM
We can argue he doesn't have the players, but he choses not to pick his best ones.

Bazunu has the shirt, but a part time player ahead of Randolph?

Randolph is 3rd choice GK at West Ham - He left his previous club to sit on the bench for a PL team and pick up an easy pay packet. good servant but his time is gone

Bazunu is 1st choice at portsmouth, still learning his trade however at least he plays week in week out.

Capt Pat

I think Kelleher is the best goalie we have at the moment. Goalkeeper is not the problem though.

general_lee

I profoundly agree with his overall philosophy that we can play decent football and the kick and chase thing lasted a decade longer than it should have and that the Irish game needs to stop being so dependent and obsessed with England. But to win the war he needs to start winning some battles, and playing prospects who clearly aren't ready is failing. Forget about blooding youth with a view 2 years down the road for now. He won't be here in 2 years on this form.
What is this fascination with "playing football?" I'd rather the team were competitive and not be entertained rather than watch embarrassing results against minnows. Ireland simply haven't the players. How can the north go out with a similar standard team and thump Lithuania 4-1 away?
And why not be dependent and obsessed with England? That's where every young Irish player aspires to play top flight football. Which country should we take cues from instead?

Itchy

Quote from: general_lee on September 05, 2021, 09:45:25 AM
What is this fascination with "playing football?" I'd rather the team were competitive and not be entertained rather than watch embarrassing results against minnows. Ireland simply haven't the players. How can the north go out with a similar standard team and thump Lithuania 4-1 away?
And why not be dependent and obsessed with England? That's where every young Irish player aspires to play top flight football. Which country should we take cues from instead?

Firstly I didnt see the game last night as I was at a club gaa match. However are you not contradicting yourself there. The North play football, they don't hoof it, they won 4-1. They started a journey playing luke that a number of years ago. It started badly but it improved. Ireland have just started that journey.

And why would they want to play proper football?  Well the main reason is that teams are much better these days and conceding the ball cheaply by hoofing it at a big lad is almost comparable to the idea of kick and catch GAA of 50 yrs ago. You will lose and continue to lose long term. Ireland need to move forward like all the other hoofers of scandanavia have already done.

All that being said, that was a poor result last night.

seafoid

Looking at the group the 2 supposedly "weak" teams ie Azerbaijan and Luxembourg are well.able to play soccer.
Luxembourg have 6 points.

Baile Brigín 2

Quote from: general_lee on September 05, 2021, 09:45:25 AM

And Mick O'Neill had an appaling start changing the culture. This is our equivalent. But my point is MON was more tactically savvy.

If you think we struggled against Azerbaijan imagine what would have happened if we constantly gave them the ball? Does your football county/club play the same style they did 30 years ago?

Brexit. That avenue is shut. They shut it. Kids need to stay at home or start learning German.

Baile Brigín 2

Quote from: seafoid on September 05, 2021, 12:16:55 PM
Looking at the group the 2 supposedly "weak" teams ie Azerbaijan and Luxembourg are well.able to play soccer.
Luxembourg have 6 points.

It's a cliche but there are very few 'weak' international sides left, especially in Europe. What we have is an odd fanbase

imtommygunn

On the contrary I would say you have a lot more weak teams meaning it looks like teams that were, and still are, weak look as good as some ones who previously weren't weak but now are...

Baile Brigín 2

Quote from: imtommygunn on September 05, 2021, 02:38:37 PM
On the contrary I would say you have a lot more weak teams meaning it looks like teams that were, and still are, weak look as good as some ones who previously weren't weak but now are...

So Iceland, Luxembourg, Azerbaijan, the Faroese aren't improving?