FAI...New Manager Hunt continues

Started by Cúig huaire, November 19, 2009, 01:34:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Applesisapples

Quote from: 6th sam on March 28, 2021, 11:11:43 AM
Quote from: Milltown Row2 on March 28, 2021, 10:38:38 AM
Are there not more kids playing soccer that GAA?
Yes definitely more playing in Dublin, belfast , Derry but overall how do you define participation?
Soccer is/was played by most of us, informally, but In terms of underage soccer and retention ireland is way behind the countries it wants to compete against,
Those with kids in my work are all fully paid up GAA members. Their kids play soccer as well but GAA comes first, they chop and change soccer teams as well.

seafoid

6th sam

Quote from: Itchy on March 28, 2021, 10:59:00 PM
Quote from: laoislad on March 28, 2021, 09:08:06 PM
Finding Jack Charlton on Virgin Media 1 now.

Really powerful show. So many good times and so sad to see Jack so frail and lost his memories at the end. But why was Brendan O Carroll on it?
We've fallen some distance since then when we were a hated opponent for all the best teams in the world.

That was a brilliant era, with top
Players from top teams, more diaspora players tbf .

We are way off that now ,

Brendan o'carroll? Enough said

laoislad

Really powerful show. So many good times and so sad to see Jack so frail and lost his memories at the end. But why was Brendan O Carroll on it?
We've fallen some distance since then when we were a hated opponent for all the best teams in the world.
The scene where he recognised Paul McGrath is just unbelievable. So sad yet so amazing all at the same time.
When you think you're fucked you're only about 40% fucked.

seafoid

Quote from: 6th sam on March 29, 2021, 11:38:55 AM

Emigration to England reduced as the economy got stronger. Plus it was easier to attract diaspora players to a successful team.

JPGJOHNNYG

Quote from: seafoid on March 29, 2021, 01:12:34 PM
Quote from: 6th sam on March 29, 2021, 11:38:55 AM

Emigration to England reduced as the economy got stronger. Plus it was easier to attract diaspora players to a successful team.

This ^^^.
We are fooked now.
Is it any wonder Bamford about Englands 10th best forward still holds out for a a couple of caps in friendlies than play for us

trailer

When I think of Stephen Kenny this quote pops into my mind.. "I'd rather have lucky generals than good ones"

He's not a lucky general.

mouview

I'd rather us try to play a bit of football for a change than the hoofball we've been playing for large spells of the past 30 years now; it's not as if we were winning World Cups prior to the Kenny era. Would / did MON or Big Mick get any more out of these players in their later years in charge?

tiempo

Genuine question, could the Dubs have got a result against Luxembourg?

Itchy

Quote from: tiempo on March 29, 2021, 03:19:02 PM

No, unless they were playing Gaelic Football against them.

From the Bunker

if they had 15 players starting and the game was in a Croke Park they'd have a chance.

Captain Obvious

Quote from: mouview on March 29, 2021, 02:12:06 PM
I'd rather us try to play a bit of football for a change than the hoofball we've been playing for large spells of the past 30 years now; it's not as if we were winning World Cups prior to the Kenny era. Would / did MON or Big Mick get any more out of these players in their later years in charge?

That bit of football has produced three goals in ten games and last Saturday one of the worse ever results in Dublin. If this run continues even Stephen Kenny will finally realise why Mick McCarthy and Martin O'Neill chose to play the way they did with this team.

sid waddell

Richard Dunne gave a very good analysis of the situation here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UKWnr5n9u10

He feels that Ireland's passing is mostly pointless, not incisive at all and very easy for defences to deal with, the team is too nice

Also says that Kenny comes across as not confident

This is something I have always felt myself, personality wise I don't think Kenny has it, he seems a decent fella but I think you need to be a bit of a bollix when necessary with professional footballers

I think Kenny's lack of a playing background and him only being successful in the League of Ireland works badly against him, he has everything to prove and unless you get off to a good start, you're toast

I think this was a problem for Brian Kerr too

Trapattoni, O'Neill and McCarthy commanded respect by virtue of who they were - that doesn't ensure success but it gives you a much better chance, their credibility in the game was undoubted which means they got a longer grace period

Personally I can't understand the clamour to get rid of certain senior players, Robbie Brady and Jeff Hendrick are only 29, they could easily go on until at least 2024 and maybe even longer, Wes Hooahan was one of out best at Euro 2016 at 34 years of age, Glenn Whelan was our best player against Switzerland at 35

Baile Brigín 2

Be serious.

seafoid

https://www.irishtimes.com/sport/soccer/international/ireland-go-into-qatar-friendly-with-urgent-need-to-find-their-mojo-1.4523373

Kenny also, however, restated his determination to get through the current difficulties and deliver a side capable of exciting and inspiring the Irish people. It was clearly heartfelt stuff from a man who must be under a fair bit of pressure at the moment, and he showed clear signs of emotion at one point as he spoke.
The only fear is that what he has in mind is a team that plays the way it did against Slovakia and Serbia because, good as those displays were at times, Kenny gives every impression of viewing them in an excessively positive light – more excessive, it seems, every time they are mentioned.

"I want to build a team that really exhilarates Irish football people," he said at the team's Hungarian base. "That's it, nothing more than that. We want to be much better. We've a huge amount of talent coming through and we've a lot of very good professionals, experienced professionals. We will integrate the two and make ourselves better.
"We hit a low the other day getting beaten by Luxembourg. We've got to take that on the chin. Some of our play has been nothing short of brilliant, against Slovakia and Serbia, and we'll continue to build on that and get better again. And that's the way I feel it now."
He described the Serbia game "as one of the best displays by an Irish team away from home in recent years", an observation that would provide the basis for an interesting round table with a couple of his fairly recent predecessors if any enterprising production company out there wants to get on the case.