FAI...New Manager Hunt continues

Started by Cúig huaire, November 19, 2009, 01:34:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JPGJOHNNYG

No-one is using last night's game against Kenny. We are using the last 6 though. It's been awful. We clearly don't have the players for this style of football. Let's not forget we needed a last minute goal from Duffy to draw against Bulgaria a team that McCarthy second string beat 3-0 only a few months earlier. Secondly enough of this unlucky shite. For the biggest game of them all we were so so lucky, Slovakia were decimated with Corona but we still couldn't take advantage. Far too many naively backing Kenny. I wanted him to do well but even the most pessimistic following his appt wouldn't have seen this shit show coming.

galwayman

Quote from: JPGJOHNNYG on November 13, 2020, 09:11:50 AM
No-one is using last night's game against Kenny. We are using the last 6 though. It's been awful. We clearly don't have the players for this style of football. Let's not forget we needed a last minute goal from Duffy to draw against Bulgaria a team that McCarthy second string beat 3-0 only a few months earlier. Secondly enough of this unlucky shite. For the biggest game of them all we were so so lucky, Slovakia were decimated with Corona but we still couldn't take advantage. Far too many naively backing Kenny. I wanted him to do well but even the most pessimistic following his appt wouldn't have seen this shit show coming.
I think it's fair to reserve judgement until he has had a chance to put them through a full qualifying campaign.

Farrandeelin

Quote from: Never beat the deeler on November 13, 2020, 12:02:27 AM
Quote from: GiveItToTheShooters on November 12, 2020, 11:25:57 PM
Quote from: ONeill on November 12, 2020, 11:20:51 PM
Quote from: GiveItToTheShooters on November 12, 2020, 11:18:28 PM
Quote from: ONeill on November 12, 2020, 11:10:07 PM
Quote from: GiveItToTheShooters on November 12, 2020, 10:59:01 PM
Quote from: ONeill on November 12, 2020, 10:52:48 PM
Quote from: GiveItToTheShooters on November 12, 2020, 10:25:46 PM
Quote from: ONeill on November 12, 2020, 10:02:55 PM
Quote from: GiveItToTheShooters on November 12, 2020, 09:59:11 PM
Quote from: ONeill on November 12, 2020, 09:57:16 PM
Quote from: GiveItToTheShooters on November 12, 2020, 09:52:31 PM
I know. Benny said 1985 was the last time England won and you said it was you that said that, but you didn't, you said 1980.

It was me who said it was 1980. You said it was 1985. I'm right that I said it was 1980.
Benny said 1985, and you said that's what I said, but you didn't say that, you said 1980.

I didn't. I said that I said it was 1980.

No you didn't.

"-1980 the last time they bate us. 1957 before that. This is historic.

-1985 was the last time England won.

-That's what I said. "

You're saying to Benny that what u said was 1985 was the last time England won, but u didnt say that, you said 1980.

But I said it was 1980. It was him who said it was 1985. Get your facts right.
I know you said that. Yet you told him you already said that to his statement of England last having won in 1985, which you didnt say. Ive spelt it out for you enough.

I didn't. I said that's what I said. I didn't disagree with what he said. I confirmed what I said.
You didnt say it though, you said 1980, not 1985.

Phew!! Thank fcuk you agree.
No, you said 1980 initially, then when benny said 1985 you said thats what i said, but u didnt.

I'm not even sure who is winding who up anymore!!!
Shooters is correct though. ONeill said 1980, then Benny said 1985, ONeill said that's what he said. ONeill however says that he said 1980 and Benny said 1985 which is also correct.
Inaugural Football Championship Prediction Winner.

mouview

Results latterly under Mick McCarthy were no different and the football was (even more) putrid. It's been a long long time coming, but this is now payback time for all those years where we wasted talent by playing long-ball stuff and packing our team with players who've had only tenuous links to the country. Our native-born players are being pushed ever more to the margins and lower reaches of English football as the effects of globalism and waves of hungrier (almost literally!) and far more capable players are supplanting them in England's better clubs.

Irish football is at its usual crossroads of putting its faith in British-born players who mostly declare for Ireland when they can't make it for the country of their birth, thus ensuring we'll nearly always be inferior to the others, or promoting 'native' players drawn from a small pool in the Irish leagues, in which case we'll be decades probably before we're properly competitive again. The solution more than likely will be the usual hybrid mixture of both. Rinse and repeat. We'll probably muddle through to an occasional Euro championships, like Scotland last night, but WC appearances are going to be rare events for the foreseeable years ahead.

Baile Brigín 2

Quote from: mouview on November 13, 2020, 10:50:18 AM

Results latterly under Mick McCarthy were no different and the football was (even more) putrid. It's been a long long time coming, but this is now payback time for all those years where we wasted talent by playing long-ball stuff and packing our team with players who've had only tenuous links to the country. Our native-born players are being pushed ever more to the margins and lower reaches of English football as the effects of globalism and waves of hungrier (almost literally!) and far more capable players are supplanting them in England's better clubs.

Irish football is at its usual crossroads of putting its faith in British-born players who mostly declare for Ireland when they can't make it for the country of their birth, thus ensuring we'll nearly always be inferior to the others, or promoting 'native' players drawn from a small pool in the Irish leagues, in which case we'll be decades probably before we're properly competitive again. The solution more than likely will be the usual hybrid mixture of both. Rinse and repeat. We'll probably muddle through to an occasional Euro championships, like Scotland last night, but WC appearances are going to be rare events for the foreseeable years ahead.

I think Kenny is allergic to the granny rule. He picked an entirely Irish born team recently v Wales. Of last nights XI only Christie and O'Dowda are non Irish born with Collins on the bench, none of whom would normally start. 6 of the squad came through the LoI route.

BennyCake

Quote from: Baile Brigín 2 on November 12, 2020, 11:01:05 PM
Quote from: BennyCake on November 12, 2020, 10:55:38 PM
Quote from: trileacman on November 12, 2020, 10:47:39 PM
I could accept an argument that Kenny was trying to get us to play football more if we were scoring goals and shipping them at the back but we're not. If we were playing football we'd be scoring goals. We are clearly not.

Yes, Ireland dont have natural goalscorers, great wingers, great crossers or passers. So where are the goals going to come from? Normally it's set pieces (mainly Duffy). So find a big glipe and throw it up to him. Who gives a shite what it looks like, as long as it gets results. Or goals for that matter!

Because its not 1970. Center halves are bigger now. The last 3 managers couldn't find that lump and thats how they played.

Its time to link up soccer. Nobody plays long ball in Ireland anymore but suddenly they need to learn it for the national side? Kenny is a reformer. These players played fluid passing soccer until they moved to England. They didn't forget it.

Maybe it's not 1970, but teams set up more defensively at international level. Less and less teams get beat 7-0 or 8-0. They're harder to break down. And it's difficult to pass through teams, especially the better teams. Ireland don't have a Xavi or Iniesta, who can thread passes through the eye of a needle. Ireland are never going to dominate possession, or spray it around comfortably. They don't have the players suited to that game. This playing along the back four, and hoping to win a set piece now and again in the hope of a chance, is balls.

I'm not advocating lumping the ball up to the big man every time they get the ball, but mix it up. Give the opposition something to think about. Widen the pitch. I always think even if a big man fails to win a header/the ball, the opposition still have to deal with it. Better having the ball in the opposing half and them under some sort of pressure than diddly-deeing the ball along your back four and getting absolutely nowhere.

general_lee

Actually played some nice football last night in the first half at times. Overall though it doesn't matter what style you go with if you don't put the ball in the net. I wouldn't be too hard on Stephen Kenny, he HAS been incredibly unlucky. Agree with Bennycake need to shake up a bit. NI play a bit like that. Ireland have better players than recent results show

Ed Ricketts

Would those complaining that we don't have the players to play possession based football (even though that's exactly the type of football most are comfortable with at club level) also recognise that we don't seem to have the players to play our customary brand of McCarthy/ O'Neill dinosaurball?

I've made this point previously, but it's worth stating again - ignoring the minnows Gibraltar and Moldova, we managed 13 goals in the 20 competitive games prior to Kenny taking charge. That return got us no where and was so putrid to watch that people were turning away in droves. This is why a new direction is justified.
Doc would listen to any kind of nonsense and change it for you to a kind of wisdom.

illdecide

Is it simply down to not having the players, they're just not good enough. Yes we can get another manager in who can set us up to be harder to beat but still lose 1-0 or 2-0 anyway, we're scraping the bottom of the barrel here and i don't think there's a whole lot we can do about it. If Kenny played the long game people would be saying "FFS I'd rather lose trying to play football" but the results are still the same no matter who manages and what style we play. Look at the divisions and leagues our players are playing in? what standard are you expecting coming from lower leagues?
I can swim a little but i can't fly an inch

Itchy

Quote from: illdecide on November 13, 2020, 02:10:09 PM
Is it simply down to not having the players, they're just not good enough. Yes we can get another manager in who can set us up to be harder to beat but still lose 1-0 or 2-0 anyway, we're scraping the bottom of the barrel here and i don't think there's a whole lot we can do about it. If Kenny played the long game people would be saying "FFS I'd rather lose trying to play football" but the results are still the same no matter who manages and what style we play. Look at the divisions and leagues our players are playing in? what standard are you expecting coming from lower leagues?

exactly, a manager can only get the players he has playing to the best. This teams best will never be enough to compete with the top 10 teams in the world.

Ed Ricketts

U21s let in a 93rd minute goal to lose at home to Iceland today, and, in the process, ballsed up the best opportunity Ireland have ever had to qualify for a tournament at this grade.

Long time since Irish soccer has had a good news story.
Doc would listen to any kind of nonsense and change it for you to a kind of wisdom.

JPGJOHNNYG

Losing again. Not scored again. It really is dire stuff

weareros

Looked a very poor Welsh team that could still have won 4-0 in the end only for two amazing saves from Randolph and Hendrick having to take a red after Byrne put the Welshman right through, which sums up the poor quality in that team.

Captain Obvious

1-0 v Wales
3-0 v England
1-0 v Finland
0-0 v Wales
0-0 v Slovakia beaten on penalties
1-0 v Finland
1-1 v Bulgaria

Only goal in 7 games was in Stephen Kenny's first match and it was Shane Duffy goal deep into injury-time.

Fear Bun Na Sceilpe

Quote from: Captain Obvious on November 15, 2020, 07:21:45 PM
1-0 v Wales
3-0 v England
1-0 v Finland
0-0 v Wales
0-0 v Slovakia beaten on penalties
1-0 v Finland
1-1 v Bulgaria

Only goal in 7 games was in Stephen Kenny's first match and it was Shane Duffy goal deep into injury-time.

Canny make a silk purse from a sows ear. U21s beat by Iceland too