FAI...New Manager Hunt continues

Started by Cúig huaire, November 19, 2009, 01:34:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BennyCake

Quote from: SHEEDY on October 14, 2020, 07:37:54 PM
Quote from: Itchy on October 14, 2020, 07:19:09 PM
Quote from: JPGJOHNNYG on October 14, 2020, 07:00:00 PM
Quote from: Captain Obvious on October 14, 2020, 06:53:56 PM
Shades of Steve Staunton era this is turning out to be.

Yep but the lads on the coybig forum can't see it. Everything will be great in 2050 ffs. Kenny is a disaster. The possession football only works if you fecking score

Only few games in, give him a f**king chance for God sake. If you didn't see substantial improvements from his 1st two games then I'm afraid you don't have a clue about the sport.
we're heading for section c in the next nations league, bottom of a supposedly favourable group with 5 games 1 goal in the Stephen Kenny era.  yes we've strung a few passes together but overall is there much to be positive about. I'm sure when we string 10 or 15 passes together in the next nations league games against North Macedonia, Kosovo or Kazakhstan, the doubters will be won over.

You can string 150 passes together against Kazahkstan if you like. But if it ends 0-0, what good is that?

BennyCake

Quote from: An Watcher on October 14, 2020, 07:36:07 PM
The same people giving off are the same ones who were complaining about long ball football. You can't just flick a switch and go from one to the other. It is a ropey enough start but give the man a chance. The signs are good, just need a wee bit if luck now and one world class player to gel it all together

And who will that be?

SHEEDY

Quote from: BennyCake on October 14, 2020, 07:49:24 PM

Yep but the lads on the coybig forum can't see it. Everything will be great in 2050 ffs. Kenny is a disaster. The possession football only works if you fecking score

Only few games in, give him a f**king chance for God sake. If you didn't see substantial improvements from his 1st two games then I'm afraid you don't have a clue about the sport.
we're heading for section c in the next nations league, bottom of a supposedly favourable group with 5 games 1 goal in the Stephen Kenny era.  yes we've strung a few passes together but overall is there much to be positive about. I'm sure when we string 10 or 15 passes together in the next nations league games against North Macedonia, Kosovo or Kazakhstan, the doubters will be won over.

You can string 150 passes together against Kazahkstan if you like. But if it ends 0-0, what good is that?
exactly, but some people will still see it as a sign of improvement 🙄
nil satis nisi optimum

From the Bunker

Ok, lets get the excuses in!

Because of this Covid mess Kenny has used 20+ Players. Covid has messed up team selections.

We have played teams no better and no worse than us. There has been no handy settling in game. No friendly where we did not care about the result.

Unlike most Managers - Kenny came in at the end of a qualification campaign. Hard to do something fresh with a group conditioned differently in previous games.

Our Biggest game was away v Slovakia who are just Ranked above us.

Now about Kenny.

I do wish McCarthy got to finish his term properly. What ever way it went, would have helped Kenny. If he did well he'd have passed on a team with confidence to Kenny. If he did shite, he'd have taken a lot of pressure from Kenny. Either way, McCarthy was going to go. He settled the ship after O'Neill, but lets face it - we weren't going anywhere.

Kenny is worth the gamble. I'm fed up of the horrid stuff we have had to watch for 18 years now!

Baile Brigín 2

Quote from: SHEEDY on October 14, 2020, 07:55:07 PM
Quote from: BennyCake on October 14, 2020, 07:49:24 PM

exactly, but some people will still see it as a sign of improvement 🙄

It is a sign of improvement. Kenny is trying to fundamentally change how the national team play and the broader soccer culture. He fundamentally disagrees with the Trapp and MO'N approach that we can't pass the ball so why try.

The theory is over the next 18 months one of Parrott, Idah, Connolly, Obefemi or Cassidy (note all Irish born) will grow into the team.

But the point has been made and needs repeating. We were all sick of long ball stuff, now we expect a magic wand job and instant passing football. It doesn't work like that.

weareros

Definitely seeing progress. The retaining possession is a big plus because it means we'll develop a style of play that at least keeps the pressure off - although when we play better teams, it won't be so easy. But Wales and Finland have both qualified for the Euro championship, and on the evidence of the games, neither are better than us. And there will be a few other teams who have qualified that are not really better than us. Must say the quality of crossing though over the last number of games has been very poor - something to work on that would improve team in a big way.

seafoid

The 2020 Euros may never happen.
The ould Coronavirus is a hoor.

BennyCake

Quote from: seafoid on October 14, 2020, 08:52:39 PM

I reckon it will happen, but played in one country only, with little or no fans.

shark

Quote from: BennyCake on October 14, 2020, 08:57:00 PM
Quote from: seafoid on October 14, 2020, 08:52:39 PM

I reckon it will happen, but played in one country only, with little or no fans.

I would be shocked if the plans for that are not already at an advanced stage. Germany would make sense.

An Watcher

A wee stint in some of those lower leagues mightn't do the team any harm. Help them to develop their play and build a bit of confidence. I'm behind Kenny all the way, give him time

Orior

Quote from: An Watcher on October 14, 2020, 10:14:12 PM
A wee stint in some of those lower leagues mightn't do the team any harm. Help them to develop their play and build a bit of confidence. I'm behind Kenny all the way, give him time

Like the Derry gaelic team?
Cover me in chocolate and feed me to the lesbians

An Watcher

Hopefully not that long down there for Ireland but happy enough to see my neighbours struggle. God I miss the battles we had with them in the 90s and early 00s.

lurganblue

A friendly against England announced for November.  Who thought that was a good idea?

BennyCake

Quote from: lurganblue on October 21, 2020, 12:19:23 PM
A friendly against England announced for November.  Who thought that was a good idea?

Not a great time to put Ireland's 35 year unbeaten record against England on the line.

trileacman

Quote from: lurganblue on October 21, 2020, 12:19:23 PM

New Englishman CEO calling in a few old failures.
Fantasy Rugby World Cup Champion 2011,
Fantasy 6 Nations Champion 2014