FAI...New Manager Hunt continues

Started by Cúig huaire, November 19, 2009, 01:34:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Baile Brigín 2

Quote from: From the Bunker on October 09, 2020, 11:14:12 PM
Quote from: An Watcher on October 09, 2020, 10:48:32 PM
I think you just have to look at the reduction in the number of local soccer teams around the country. Kids these days are more interested in computers and have no real interest in playing soccer. I remember playing 4 games over a weekend which was ridiculous but nowadays you couldn't do that even if you wanted. The teams and leagues aren't there any more

There is also the interference of Gaelic Football. Gaelic football had a 100% stranglehold on every Parish up to 1970. Many country areas still look with disdain on Soccer. There is no real culture. Good athletes will always be pressurised to play Gaelic football. Anyway we never have 100% homegrown teams.

This is a wind up?

Baile Brigín 2

I think you just have to look at the reduction in the number of local soccer teams around the country. Kids these days are more interested in computers and have no real interest in playing soccer. I remember playing 4 games over a weekend which was ridiculous but nowadays you couldn't do that even if you wanted. The teams and leagues aren't there any more

The squad has players from Dublin, Cork, Wicklow, Kerry, Derry, Donegal, Galway, Waterford, Tipp and Meath.

laoislad

There is also the interference of Gaelic Football. Gaelic football had a 100% stranglehold on every Parish up to 1970. Many country areas still look with disdain on Soccer. There is no real culture. Good athletes will always be pressurised to play Gaelic football. Anyway we never have 100% homegrown teams.
Have you ever heard of Hurling?
When you think you're fucked you're only about 40% fucked.

laoislad

Quote from: trileacman on October 09, 2020, 10:37:51 PM
For whatever reason the quality of Irish players coming through has dropped off a cliff. We regularly lined out with at least 1 European Cup winner in the side. Now we don't even have players who in their entire career have played at that level.
There was a European Cup winner on the bench the other night for Ireland.

sid waddell

Irish football is in a terrible place

And it's all because the great John Delaney was disgracefully forced out

Delaney was a man of integrity and vision

A world class sporting administrator who did an unbelievable amount for the game and was underpaid

He was stabbed in the back by the enemies of football

Mark Tighe and Paul Rowan are the lugenpresse

They are the virus

For shame, for shame

Milltown Row2

That sarcasm course you've completed lately is bearing some fruit
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

seafoid

For whatever reason the quality of Irish players coming through has dropped off a cliff. We regularly lined out with at least 1 European Cup winner in the side. Now we don't even have players who in their entire career have played at that level.

Bosman plus TV money

The source pool for the EFL is global as a result.  Success in any sport is about doing the iterations at the highest level. The BIG are usually excluded from it..

From the Bunker

Quote from: laoislad on October 10, 2020, 09:07:06 AM

No, I'm from Mayo! My son has a under 12 B county medal! Hurling is his 3rd game! Soccer, Football and then Hurling. Out of 18 lads in his class. 14 play Gaelic football, 16 play soccer and 1 play hurling - Him!

How many hurling clubs are there in Donegal, Mayo, Sligo, Roscommon, Sligo, Leitrim, Cavan, Monaghan, Kerry, All of the 6 in OWC and Northern Leinster.

Baile Brigín 2

Aside from the European cup winner currently in the side you mean?

Milltown Row2

Quote from: Baile Brigín 2 on October 10, 2020, 01:46:33 PM

What position did he play in during that campaign?
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

Baile Brigín 2

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on October 10, 2020, 02:11:19 PM
Quote from: Baile Brigín 2 on October 10, 2020, 01:46:33 PM

What position did he play in during that campaign?
Reserve keeper.

I get its a pedantic point, but if people want to reminisce on when we had EC winners they shouldn't ignore the lad with an EC medal in the current setup

laoislad

Quote from: From the Bunker on October 10, 2020, 01:45:11 PM

No, I'm from Mayo! My son has a under 12 B county medal! Hurling is his 3rd game! Soccer, Football and then Hurling. Out of 18 lads in his class. 14 play Gaelic football, 16 play soccer and 1 play hurling - Him!

How many hurling clubs are there in Donegal, Mayo, Sligo, Roscommon, Sligo, Leitrim, Cavan, Monaghan, Kerry, All of the 6 in OWC and Northern Leinster.
I couldn't care less how many there is.You said Gaelic Football had a 100% stranglehold in every parish in the country. Hurling is No.1 where I'm from. The Kilkenny border is 500 yards from where I grew up, the Tipp border about 10 miles away, the Waterford less than an hour.
Pretty sure Gaelic Football didn't have a 100% stranglehold in every parish in those counties or my own for that matter nor did every athlete that was anyway decent was pressurised into playing football.
Just admit you're wrong , were talking through your hoop and we can move on and forget about it..

Baile Brigín 2

Quote from: laoislad on October 10, 2020, 03:38:18 PM

I couldn't care less how many there is.You said Gaelic Football had a 100% stranglehold in every parish in the country. Hurling is No.1 where I'm from. The Kilkenny border is 500 yards from where I grew up, the Tipp border about 10 miles away, the Waterford less than an hour.
Pretty sure Gaelic Football didn't have a 100% stranglehold in every parish in those counties or my own for that matter nor did every athlete that was anyway decent was pressurised into playing football.
Just admit you're wrong , were talking through your hoop and we can move on and forget about it..

It was a strange statement and will be news to anyone from a city or large town

From the Bunker

Quote from: laoislad on October 10, 2020, 03:38:18 PM

You are more than likely right, there is about 12 Hurling strongholds! Never really think of Hurling, it's still a minority sport compared to Gaelic Football or Soccer. You clearly have a stronger affinity to the game. Mean't no bad will in my comments. Have worked hard to keep my son playing against the odds.