FAI...New Manager Hunt continues

Started by CĂșig huaire, November 19, 2009, 01:34:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

AZOffaly

I think Martin O'Neill would be mad to set up in free flowing manner against Serbia, or maybe even Austria and Wales. Teams where you are plainly inferior, there's nothing wrong with a conservative, win the game by being solid and work hard, approach.

My issue with him is he NEVER takes the shackles off. Maybe he can't because he doesn't see the players that often to work on two game plans, but I think he has to do more. When we need a goal, we have very little in the way of creativity. We score the Soccer equivalents of the pushover try a lot of the time. Last night's goal was very well worked, with a dummy and all.

I'm not here to slate Martin O'Neill, I don't think he's doing a bad job or anything. I just wish he could be a bit more adventurous when it is required, and I don't believe finishing second in that group is an outstanding achievement, even if last night's result in isolation was an excellent win.

thewobbler

AZ I'm not sure how Ireland are clearly inferior to austria or wales. Because Martin chooses to lump it as first, second and final options, it might look that way. But in terms of player ability ((Bale excepted) it's nit the case.

JoG2

Quote from: Esmarelda on October 10, 2017, 03:27:51 PM
Quote from: JoG2 on October 10, 2017, 02:55:23 PM
Quote from: Esmarelda on October 10, 2017, 02:45:12 PM
Quote from: JoG2 on October 10, 2017, 01:04:59 PM
Quote from: Esmarelda on October 10, 2017, 12:53:10 PM
I agree with thewobbler. Teams no better than Ireland are competing well without resorting to this caveman football. Iceland being one example.

Ireland passed the ball around last night on a few occasions so why not more often?

Murphy's second goal on Friday, regardless of the opposition, came at the end of a beautiful move. Hoolahan's pass out to Ward was great. Why isn't it encouraged against the likes of Georgia? Is it right to tell our players that they better hoof it because Georgia are just too damn good?

People are entitle to say the end justifies the means but, although I'll be a sad day when I don't tune in, there's often very little enjoyment in watching.

Keyboard manager of the month goes to.....
What's that supposed to mean? The pass from Hoolahan, the cross from Ward and the header from Murphy were all brilliantly executed. Why don't you make your point instead of stupid comments like that?

Your subsequent comments are also nonsense.

Nobody has a sense of entitlement. In fact the argument is that the Irish players should be allowed to play the style of football they show they're able to play with their clubs. Nobody said we should be qualifying for anything.

:D It means exactly what it says. Regardless of the opposition, we should be playing champagne football with our current midfield, surely you see naivety in that line?  Even our midfield could pick holes in your post ffs !
Hilarious. You say it means exactly what it says then go on to explain it to mean something else.

Of course you know that isn't what I mean but I didn't realise until now that you're a troll. Good to know.

Carry on.

Dear god

AZOffaly

Quote from: thewobbler on October 10, 2017, 03:50:01 PM
AZ I'm not sure how Ireland are clearly inferior to austria or wales. Because Martin chooses to lump it as first, second and final options, it might look that way. But in terms of player ability ((Bale excepted) it's nit the case.

I said maybe. As in they'd not be clearly better than them, so you might excuse a cautious gameplan.

Declan

Results trump everything so in that regard you've got to hand it to MON in achieving great results against better ranked teams. However you can applaud those achievements as well as questioning our tactics against teams where we should be able to have better possession and passing stats.

I'd love us to get Portugal in the playoffs and let McClean welcome Ronaldo to the Aviva ;)

laoislad

Those players are well capable of playing better football than what O'Neill has them playing.
None of them are superstars but they can all play football.
As Declan says above results is all that matters but this notion that he has turned a bunch of rubbish players into a team on the brink of World Cup qualification is nonsense.
Ireland should have won that group. It's O'Neills fault they didn't.
When you think you're fucked you're only about 40% fucked.

Walter Cronc

Quote from: laoislad on October 10, 2017, 04:31:46 PM
Those players are well capable of playing better football than what O'Neill has them playing.
As Declan says above results is all that matters but this notion that he has turned a bunch of rubbish players into a team on the brink of World Cup qualification is nonsense.

Sure you think the Ox is a decent player  ;D ;D

An Watcher

I for one am happy to qualify for major tournaments by whatever means necessary.  Unlike the likes of Wales who have only ever qualified for two. 

Syferus

I don't know how you look at Serbia's or Austria's teams and think we had any right finishing above them. We did very well, undone mainly by a patethic performance against Georgia rather than against any of the big three.

general_lee

When have Ireland ever won a qualifying group? What's nonsense is this notion that the team can go out and play attractive football against the "minnows" and then change tact for the better teams. I'm sure with the limited time MON has the players for, the last thing on his mind is playing some champagne football against f**king Moldova just so a few critics back home can have some entertainment. Some people are just never pleased though.

macdanger2

This is an interesting piece about how Wales (and Romania)  apparently put careful consideration into what friendlies they play / don't play in order to optimise their world ranking

https://www.rte.ie/sport/soccer/2017/1009/910952-wales-republic-of-ireland-rankings-coleman/

JPGJOHNNYG

Quote from: macdanger2 on October 10, 2017, 05:40:38 PM
This is an interesting piece about how Wales (and Romania)  apparently put careful consideration into what friendlies they play / don't play in order to optimise their world ranking

https://www.rte.ie/sport/soccer/2017/1009/910952-wales-republic-of-ireland-rankings-coleman/

I have been saying this for years. The world rankings everybody laughs at but they are so important regarding seeding. Norway did something similar many years ago and got into the world top 10. I may be wrong but the one and only time we were top seeds was 2004 and we lost our first 2 games so were almost out of it before it hardly started.

laoislad

Quote from: macdanger2 on October 10, 2017, 05:40:38 PM

They wont be able do that anymore with this European Nations League starting which will put an end to organised friendlies.
When you think you're fucked you're only about 40% fucked.

rrhf

LooseCannon

Quote from: rrhf on October 10, 2017, 07:20:06 PM
Meyler must be a Tyrone man!
Cork. Father u21 Hurling boss with Cork.
Used to manage Carlow.