FAI...New Manager Hunt continues

Started by CĂșig huaire, November 19, 2009, 01:34:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mylestheslasher

Can people stop calling Argentina "Argies", its that type of shite the british red tops printed during the falklands war.

JPGJOHNNYG

Its not a bad draw but the annoying thing is Poland are not really any better than Bosnia. We had a chance to have a real go at them and yet produced a pathetic performance. We had 75mins knowing we needed at least one goal and just managed one duff header on target against an increasingly nervous Poland. Pretty worried to be honest. I reckon a lot of luck needed, fingers crossed.

Milltown Row2

Quote from: mylestheslasher on October 18, 2015, 09:55:53 PM
Can people stop calling Argentina "Argies", its that type of shite the british red tops printed during the falklands war.

Will we stop calling the British Brits? Or protestants prods... What is the negative in it??
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

ONeill

Aussies ok?

The Bossies will not like it up them.
I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames.

mouview

Quote from: From the Bunker on October 18, 2015, 09:53:40 PM
Quote from: mouview on October 18, 2015, 09:05:22 PM
As I've warned you before, they'll be far technically superior to us, will retain and pass the ball better, though the team will at least have the warning of what the Argies did to the rugger lads. O'Shea's absence for once may be a real loss. Can see it being 1-0, 2-1, with us going out on the away goal.

Most of these lads are Soccer heads, they will know little or nothing of the Rugby lads or care. Many are English born and have an affinity through ancestry. Granted there will be a few player who do watch rugby, but it will have no bearing on influencing them in these qualifiers.

Good point actually.

'Argies' not intended in a derogatory sense. (Have always liked the Argentine as a sporting nation as a matter of fact.)

Jell 0 Biafra

Quote from: mouview on October 18, 2015, 11:21:07 PM
As I've warned you before, they'll be far technically superior to us, will retain and pass the ball better, though the team will at least have the warning of what the Argies did to the rugger lads. O'Shea's absence for once may be a real loss. Can see it being 1-0, 2-1, with us going out on the away goal.

Most of these lads are Soccer heads, they will know little or nothing of the Rugby lads or care. Many are English born and have an affinity through ancestry. Granted there will be a few player who do watch rugby, but it will have no bearing on influencing them in these qualifiers.

Good point actually.

'Argies' not intended in a derogatory sense. (Have always liked the Argentine as a sporting nation as a matter of fact.)

4th largest population of Irish descent (outside of Ireland).  What's not to like? 

JoG2

Quote from: Jell 0 Biafra on October 19, 2015, 12:03:36 AM
Quote from: mouview on October 18, 2015, 11:21:07 PM

Good point actually.

4th largest population of Irish descent (outside of Ireland).  What's not to like?

for me 'Argies' is very Thatcher Britain, don't like the term. Would  lump it in with the term 'Paddies'

It'll be another roller coaster play off, its never easy ! Martin, DO NOT start Whelan for the love of god

JoG2

Quote from: imtommygunn on October 19, 2015, 09:27:09 AM
Or McClean!!

He was brutal alright against Poland. But much like Brady, Walters etc in the Poland match, who were all poor, if you start Hoolahan*, he'll bring the wide men into play and they won't be playing on the back foot the whole time.

* he ain't Xavi, but he can play keep ball

imtommygunn

I don't like seeing McClean start as he's too predictable. He tends to go at players a lot and they've him sussed quickly. When you bring him on against tired legs he can actually be quite effective...

Brady had a stinker but still can be very good. Walters is our most effective player at holding the ball up and his work rate allows us to play one up much easier so should generally start in my view...

JPGJOHNNYG

Walters had a poor game but in fairness he has been are best player in this campaign by a mile. The brady Mclean combo was a horror show. James is a really really limited player but at least he has a go and sometimes when we have no creativity just running at defenders and having a shot can get you somewhere. Robby Brady maybe a good player but he has to do it when it matters not in friendlies against Oman and USA he was also shocking against Poland at the Aviva and was responsible for their goal

ashman

McClean is limited and had a stinker last day out .  However he nearly always gives energy and whips in a good cross.

Shane Long if fit has to start the next day . If he doesn't we don't deserve to go to France.

laoislad

Quote from: imtommygunn on October 19, 2015, 09:27:09 AM
Or McClean!!
We should bring him on at the end if we are winning to goad the Bosnian fans  ;)
When you think you're fucked you're only about 40% fucked.

laoislad

Quote from: ashman on October 19, 2015, 10:42:29 AM
McClean is limited and had a stinker last day out .  However he nearly always gives energy and whips in a good cross.

Shane Long if fit has to start the next day . If he doesn't we don't deserve to go to France.
Even if we win?  ;D
When you think you're fucked you're only about 40% fucked.

ashman

Quote from: laoislad on October 19, 2015, 12:31:17 PM
Quote from: ashman on October 19, 2015, 10:42:29 AM

Even if we win?  ;D

Better believe it !!!!!