FAI...New Manager Hunt continues

Started by Cúig huaire, November 19, 2009, 01:34:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

deiseach

I'm sure the OWCers will join us in lamenting the rules that allow him to be poached after the investment we made in him at underage level.

Shamrock Shore

Jack being fecked out of my car boot this evening  >:(

AZOffaly

Quote from: deiseach on September 28, 2015, 01:41:46 PM
I'm sure the OWCers will join us in lamenting the rules that allow him to be poached after the investment we made in him at underage level.

I had the same thought :) Hard to complain too much :)

gallsman

Quote from: AZOffaly on September 28, 2015, 01:45:20 PM

I had the same thought :) Hard to complain too much :)

Hard? Impossible!

Tony will no doubt find a reason though!

ashman

The OWCers have a better ranking than the 26 county team.

AZOffaly

This is a historical reference ashman. In the olden days, the OWC guys used to go apeshit when yet another nationalist youngster who had played underage/schoolboys with NI declared for ROI. They got short shrift here :)

mouview

Quote from: ballinaman on September 28, 2015, 01:17:29 PM
Grealish declaring for England. Boo earns

He's dead right. Irish claims for him largely nonsensical - his father wasn't even born here. Much higher profile being an England international, will boost future earnings and contract negotiations.

AZOffaly

Will he be an England international though? (an established international I mean)  I have no problem with him declaring for England if he feels English. If it's for commercial reasons, it might backfire though.

deiseach

Quote from: AZOffaly on September 28, 2015, 02:10:15 PM
This is a historical reference ashman. In the olden days, the OWC guys used to go apeshit when yet another nationalist youngster who had played underage/schoolboys with NI declared for ROI. They got short shrift here :)

In other news, Tony Fearon once booked a 'bargain' hotel in Dublin on the third Sunday in September when the football final was being played on the fourth Sunday.

Ranga

It's ok, we can replace him with Stephen Ireland.  :D He'll have a similar career.

Tony Baloney

Quote from: AZOffaly on September 28, 2015, 02:13:01 PM
Will he be an England international though? (an established international I mean)  I have no problem with him declaring for England if he feels English. If it's for commercial reasons, it might backfire though.
Not sure if purely commercial reasons is the answer. Even if he was a squad player his chances of being involved in a major tournament are much higher with England than Ireland. Any top player should want to play in the top competitions.

foxcommander

It's all about the money.
A player with an England international cap will earn higher wages and be more sought after. One big move next summer will set him up for life.

He'll have to work pretty hard to keep villa from going down.

Every second of the day there's a Democrat telling a lie

From the Bunker

At least Grealish got this out of the way before Irelands final games. I'm sure MON will be glad of that at least. As this side show was not the distraction he needed. More than likely Hodgson will give him a 10 minute Cap in one of their remaining nothing games. He must have been promised at least that for throwing in his lot with England. And if he does not progress as a player to England standard - his international options are gone. He'll then be snookered. It's probably a chance worth taking, but he is struggling to get into an average Villa side and he could well end up in International Limbo.

JPGJOHNNYG

Its nothing to do with international football and everything to do with chasing a bigger club salary. From a footballing choice its a bad move. I cant see too many caps for him with the likes of Walcott, wilshire, sterling, Barclay, oxlade Chamberlain etc etc all young and better. I don't blame him but I do have an issue wIth Mon. When he came into the job he moaned about the dearth of talent and yet he has managed to let one of his better youth players leave. Should have capped him 18 mths ago and saved him months of begging and pleading to no avail. Since taking over he has recruited arter and Christie, OK players but  no better than what we've got meanwhile the likes of bamford, Redmond, Wilson all Irish qualified a million miles from the English team and yet Mon and Keane cant sway them hmm something not right there. Noble also couldn't be tempted and no-one bothered to try Kane before it was too late, so no marks there on the recruitment front.

michaelg

Quote from: JPGJOHNNYG on September 28, 2015, 07:34:06 PM
Its nothing to do with international football and everything to do with chasing a bigger club salary. From a footballing choice its a bad move. I cant see too many caps for him with the likes of Walcott, wilshire, sterling, Barclay, oxlade Chamberlain etc etc all young and better. I don't blame him but I do have an issue wIth Mon. When he came into the job he moaned about the dearth of talent and yet he has managed to let one of his better youth players leave. Should have capped him 18 mths ago and saved him months of begging and pleading to no avail. Since taking over he has recruited arter and Christie, OK players but  no better than what we've got meanwhile the likes of bamford, Redmond, Wilson all Irish qualified a million miles from the English team and yet Mon and Keane cant sway them hmm something not right there. Noble also couldn't be tempted and no-one bothered to try Kane before it was too late, so no marks there on the recruitment front.
MON also doesn't seem to be tapping up players from NI, as was the case in recent years.