FAI...New Manager Hunt continues

Started by CĂșig huaire, November 19, 2009, 01:34:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

laoislad

When you think you're fucked you're only about 40% fucked.

magpie seanie

Quote from: laoislad on June 15, 2015, 01:37:12 PM
Quote from: Walter Cronc on June 15, 2015, 01:35:58 PM
Not sure if this has been posted.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/33136816
19 years old gets twisted drunk on holidays..imagine that ::)
Non story imo.

Hopefully makes the lad realise the media spotlight he will be under if he plays for Eng-er-lund.  ;)

Applesisapples

Quote from: ludermor on June 15, 2015, 01:22:08 PM
Quote from: Applesisapples on June 15, 2015, 11:50:39 AM
Quote from: thewobbler on June 13, 2015, 10:13:13 PM
Was just thinking that it looks like Shane Long is this year's Wes Houlahan, who was last year's Stephen Ireland, who was that year's Andy Reid, who was that year's Lee Carsley, who was that year's Mark Kennedy, who was that year's Stephen McPhail.

Players who fans become increasing determined are the missing link, when all evidence suggests they are just another average player.

I like Long. It'd be hard not to. But a striker with a below average scoring record is actually not the missing link.
Nail on the head, if there is an Irish player who can score goals consistently at a high level I don't know of him. Is Stokes injured? Don't anyone say he's not at that level...Scott Brown and Charlie Mulgrew were quite comfortable.
Not injured, just shite. The same Stokes who managed the grand total of 8 goals the season past..........
Playing a completely different role though. He's still a better player than Long or Murphy in my opinion.

Applesisapples

Quote from: T Fearon on June 14, 2015, 06:10:23 AM
You are all too hard on the legendary Broony! Getting in people's faces and being annoying is part and parcel of his game.Have met him a few times at Celtic and off the pitch he is quietly spoken and very affable,not the same lunatic as he is on it at all!

I also think the influence John Robertson had on O'Neill as his sidekick at Leicester,Celtic and Villa is underestimated.From what I understand O'Neill is primarily a man manager and motivator,and even he can't convince technically limited players that they are better than they really are.

Tony I would agree with you. If Brown had been in green we would be lauding him. O'Neill has expressed his strengths to be in man management and motivation, I have heard him say that he leaves tactics to others. A good manager doesn't know everything he leads a good team, perhaps his choice of backroom is the issue?

Lamh Dhearg Alba

Quote from: Teo Lurley on June 14, 2015, 12:08:23 PM
I think everyone is missing the obvious. We're not crap because Martin O'Neill is a bad manager, we're crap because we have a load of crap players. Martin O'Neill may be a bad manager also but no matter who we have in charge the same thing would happen. We're about equal in standard to Scotland, which is not very high. Our best players play for Everton and Southhampton. Slightly above average clubs in a very average premierleague. The rest of the team are championship or lower premier league level.
We don't have players like Duff, a younger Given, a younger Robbie, Dunne, we don't have a Roy Keane. That's why we're crap, until we fix this we may forget about it.

You don't have the quality of players you did a few years back but there are plenty of decent footballers there. Countries with inferior players are doing better. O'Neill isn't getting anywhere near enough out of that squad, his tactics seem to be get in the opposition's faces and try and intimidate them whilst launching as many high balls into the box as possible in the hope of getting a break. Very limited stuff indeed and Ireland are capable of more.

Thought Saturday was one of Scotland's poorest performances under Strachan, struggled to get the passing game going and even allowing for how physical the game was possession was given up too easily too often.  The changes in the team were ill-advised and weakened Scotland.  A point in those circumstances was a decent outcome,  albeit Ireland's goal shouldn't have counted and McCarthy should have been sent off. There will be plenty of twists and turns yet,  I reckon Scotland will struggle with Georgia away.

red hander

Quote from: Lamh Dhearg Alba on June 19, 2015, 12:55:03 AM
Quote from: Teo Lurley on June 14, 2015, 12:08:23 PM
I think everyone is missing the obvious. We're not crap because Martin O'Neill is a bad manager, we're crap because we have a load of crap players. Martin O'Neill may be a bad manager also but no matter who we have in charge the same thing would happen. We're about equal in standard to Scotland, which is not very high. Our best players play for Everton and Southhampton. Slightly above average clubs in a very average premierleague. The rest of the team are championship or lower premier league level.
We don't have players like Duff, a younger Given, a younger Robbie, Dunne, we don't have a Roy Keane. That's why we're crap, until we fix this we may forget about it.

You don't have the quality of players you did a few years back but there are plenty of decent footballers there. Countries with inferior players are doing better. O'Neill isn't getting anywhere near enough out of that squad, his tactics seem to be get in the opposition's faces and try and intimidate them whilst launching as many high balls into the box as possible in the hope of getting a break. Very limited stuff indeed and Ireland are capable of more.

Thought Saturday was one of Scotland's poorest performances under Strachan, struggled to get the passing game going and even allowing for how physical the game was possession was given up too easily too often.  The changes in the team were ill-advised and weakened Scotland.  A point in those circumstances was a decent outcome,  albeit Ireland's goal shouldn't have counted and McCarthy should have been sent off. There will be plenty of twists and turns yet, I reckon Scotland will struggle with Georgia away.

Doubt it, I was in Tbilisi for our game and they have very little attacking threat

laoislad

MON off to Leicester??

Bring back Big Mick. Would be some craic Keane working under him!

SHEEDY

Quote from: laoislad on July 10, 2015, 06:02:36 PM
MON off to Leicester??

Bring back Big Mick. Would be some craic Keane working under him!
I would definitely have Mick back.
nil satis nisi optimum

BennyHarp

O'Neill not going to Leicester anyway, Claudio Ranieri appointed manager there.
That was never a square ball!!

magpie seanie

Quote from: BennyHarp on July 13, 2015, 04:50:46 PM
O'Neill not going to Leicester anyway, Claudio Ranieri appointed manager there.

That should cushion the blow for Leicester supporters after losing Nigel Pearson.

keep her low this half

Last I saw of Ranieri he was getting sacked by Greece who are bottom of northern irelands group. Strange appointment, don't understand why they did not go for Lennon

general

http://www.skysports.com/football/news/11701/9915677/jack-butland-to-be-stokes-first-choice-goalkeeper

To me it was a frustrating decision for given to go to stoke when offered 1st team football at middlesbrough

I know he is 39 but is he serious about keeping the #1 jersey for Ireland? Maybe its time to cut ties with himself & Forde (Neither there for the long term) and go by rebuilding from the back.

Westwood/Randolph/Henderson anyone? None of these fill me with confidence however must we look to the future?

laoislad

Not to bad a grouo for World Cup qualifying.

SHEEDY

No real glamour tie will be a disappointment for the FAI. Definitely could have been a worse draw.
nil satis nisi optimum

Boycey

Decent enough draw but Jaysus it's hard to get excited about these things anymore.. The amount of seemingly interchangeable Eastern bloc teams in the draw would bore the bollix off u