FAI...New Manager Hunt continues

Started by CĂșig huaire, November 19, 2009, 01:34:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jonah

Quote from: Premier Emperor on November 04, 2013, 09:25:45 AM
Quote from: laoislad on November 03, 2013, 10:11:05 PM
I can't wait to see Keano going ape shit at the Aviva some night when we're 3 down against Holland and the fans are still singing.
Why would fans still be singing when the team is getting tanked?
Loser mentality.

Were they not entitled to do what they want after spending a fortune to get there?
It was a football match not a funeral ffs. ::) So what if they were losing,as a Tipp man I suppose you only sing when you're winning...which is very rare nowadays :D
Keane was totally wrong saying what he did.I hope he apologies if he takes this No.2 job.

muppet

Quote from: Jonah on November 04, 2013, 09:16:58 AM
Quote from: muppet on November 04, 2013, 09:00:50 AM
Quote from: Jonah on November 04, 2013, 08:52:57 AM
Quote from: muppet on November 04, 2013, 12:31:04 AM
Quote from: EC Unique on November 03, 2013, 10:52:22 PM
I must say. I'm enjoying this.  ;D

So am I.

They can't simply say: 'I detest him and that is why I don't want him near the Irish team'.

There could be no real argument with that.

However, instead we have this faux debate on the merits or lack thereof of his candidacy.

So anyone that doesn't want him near the Irish team must obviously detest him? There can be no other explanation?

I was referring to some of the posters here.

There must be a dozen reasonable arguments as to why Keane shouldn't be involved with the Irish set up. But very few here seem interested in any reasonable analysis of anything when it comes to Keane.

Really?
They don't  think he's a good manager. His managerial record would prove them right.
The Ipswich players hadn't a good word to say about him.He criticised the Irish fans who payed alot of money to go to the Euros and were just enjoying themselves.
He also had a go at us all over the Henry incident. Didn't he have a go at John Delaney and The FAI in his book? And now he is going to work for them.
All valid reasons not to want him but it doesn't mean they all detest him just because you don't like the reasons they are offering as to why they don't want him.
I haven't heard you give any reasons why he would be good for the Irish team,all you have done is defend him blindly.

I think it's an interesting appointment but I can see it all ending badly.
Bad endings seem to follow Keane like a bad smell.Man U,Sunderland,Ipswich,Ireland.....
Surely you can see why people will think this will all end just as bad.

QuoteThey don't  think he's a good manager. His managerial record would prove them right.

But he isn't taking the manager's job.

And regardless Keane's management career is as mediocre as most of the competition. O'Neill obviously did well at Leicester and Celtic but has no better than mediocre results since. McCarthy is as mediocre as they come but to be fair when you look at it, there are only a handful of successful managers out there. Ferguson, Wenger and The Special One spring to mind. Beyond that Rafa and Mancini but then who? Keane had mild success at Sunderland and was sacked by Ipswich. If the latter rules Keane out forever then why don't McCarthy's sackings rule him out? Or O'Neill's? They were both sacked by Sunderland.

QuoteThe Ipswich players hadn't a good word to say about him.

The Ipswich players who recently drew at home with Barnsley?

QuoteHe also had a go at us all over the Henry incident.

In this one I agree with him 100% and it wasn't 'us all'. It was embarrassing watching the FaceBook campaign pages and even worse the FAI trying to get us to South Africa as a 33rd team.

QuoteSurely you can see why people will think this will all end just as bad.

This is what I said on the first post on page 230: "Either they will become a phenomenal double act............or something else, possibly spectacularly something else."

Of course I see the potential for a bad ending. I have also said that I am surprised O'Neill wanted him as his number 2. I am also surprised Keane is happy to be his number 2. The FAI is historically a shambles but regardless I am very surprised they are apparently going to sanction this.

But when I and others don't tow the line of vilifying Keane in every post it seems to annoy people.
MWWSI 2017

Jonah

Fair enough muppet but you do seem to get a bit annoyed when anyone says anything against Keane.

btw  I really don't get you're point about Ipswich drawing with Barnsley. What a ridiculous way to make a point or are you even making a point?. I just don't get it.
How is it in anyway relevant. Are they even the same players Keane had when he was at Ipswich. ?

muppet

Quote from: Jonah on November 04, 2013, 10:07:48 AM
Fair enough muppet but you do seem to get a bit annoyed when anyone says anything against Keane.

btw  I really don't get you're point about Ipswich drawing with Barnsley. What a ridiculous way to make a point or are you even making a point?. I just don't get it.
How is it in anyway relevant. Are they even the same players Keane had when he was at Ipswich. ?

I am just trying to add perspective.

Mark Walters and Damien Delaney was there at the time.

This is what they said about Keane:

http://www.independent.ie/sport/soccer/european-championships/players-may-live-to-regret-shooting-from-the-lip-against-keane-29723539.html

Delaney's behaviour is hilarious.

Damien Delaney, also a former Tractor Boy, was once late to arrive at Ipswich's training ground while Keane was manager there.

Interrupting his progress were members of the local constabulary, who pinned him for driving his Audi A5 sports car at 44mph in a 30mph zone.

After pleading guilty by post to his speeding charge, Delaney then brazenly tried to deflect the blame towards Keane in a letter of mitigation to the magistrates.

"The reason I was going too fast was because I was late for work," Delaney wrote. "I had an unreasonable boss at the time who would not accept lateness and would not have listened to me."

MWWSI 2017

Jonah

Stilk makes no sense for you to mention Ipswich drawing with Barnsley at the weekend  ;D seems to me you will defend Keane no matter what.He can do no wrong.
Fair play at least you're consistent though you are exactly the same as the ones you complain about having a go at Keane no matter what  ;D

The more i think abouy it the more i think it's great he's back. Fun times ahead if this thread is anything to go by.!

muppet

Quote from: Jonah on November 04, 2013, 10:21:17 AM
Stilk makes no sense for you to mention Ipswich drawing with Barnsley at the weekend  ;D seems to me you will defend Keane no matter what.He can do no wrong.
Fair play at least you're consistent though you are exactly the same as the ones you complain about having a go at Keane no matter what  ;D

The more i think abouy it the more i think it's great he's back. Fun times ahead if this thread is anything to go by.!

The reason I mention the Ipswich players is that were are hardly a bunch of successes were they? Also a quick Google shows they didn't all criticise him. Daryll Murphy who is still there and scored against Barnsley, was happy with him: http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/football/teams/i/ipswich_town/8559310.stm
MWWSI 2017

Jonah

Quote from: muppet on November 04, 2013, 10:33:51 AM

The reason I mention the Ipswich players is that were are hardly a bunch of successes were they? Also a quick Google shows they didn't all criticise him. Daryll Murphy who is still there and scored against Barnsley, was happy with him: http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/football/teams/i/ipswich_town/8559310.stm

What does it matter if Ipswich are any good or not? Expecially now 2 years later! It was a silly point muppet end of.

Daryll Murphy was just happy to be at a club I'd say. Didnt he sign him at Sunderland as well? He'll probably be starting for Ireland now Keaneo is back! No other manager seems to want him.
It's funny how you use Ipswich players being no good to dismiss their opinions on Keane but then use a player like Murphy to try and prove you're point!  Murphy is a real world beater alright!

muppet

Quote from: Jonah on November 04, 2013, 10:37:26 AM

What does it matter if Ipswich are any good or not? Expecially now 2 years later! It was a silly point muppet end of.

Daryll Murphy was just happy to be at a club I'd say. Didnt he sign him at Sunderland as well? He'll probably be starting for Ireland now Keaneo is back! No other manager seems to want him.
It's funny how you use Ipswich players being no good to dismiss their opinions on Keane but then use a player like Murphy to try and prove you're point!  Murphy is a real world beater alright!

You said: "The Ipswich players hadn't a good word to say about him".

You didn't say: 'a few of the Ipswich players'. I mentioned Murphy to prove you wrong.

I mentioned Barnsley to show where the Ipswich players were in the greater scheme of things. They blamed their manager. They were crap before Keane, they were crap after Keane and they are still at best mediocre. Yes I accept Keane did nothing to improve them, but the players should consider taking some responsibility for their lowly position instead of giving out about the manager.

Looking back at the posts to be fair I should have expanded on that point.
MWWSI 2017

screenexile

I was actually starting to read that article seriously until I read this bit:

"It's only a matter of time before he starts banging in goals"

Daryl Murphy on David Healy

Premier Emperor

Quote from: Jonah on November 04, 2013, 09:32:43 AM
Quote from: Premier Emperor on November 04, 2013, 09:25:45 AM
Quote from: laoislad on November 03, 2013, 10:11:05 PM
I can't wait to see Keano going ape shit at the Aviva some night when we're 3 down against Holland and the fans are still singing.
Why would fans still be singing when the team is getting tanked?
Loser mentality.

Were they not entitled to do what they want after spending a fortune to get there?
It was a football match not a funeral ffs. ::) So what if they were losing,as a Tipp man I suppose you only sing when you're winning...which is very rare nowadays :D
Keane was totally wrong saying what he did.I hope he apologies if he takes this No.2 job.
Yes, everyone is entitled to be stupid if they want.

Fuzzman

Have only read the last 2 pages but am surprised people are discussing Roy's failures with his previous clubs.
What is really surprising is what is going through MON's mind when he thought Roy would make a good No 2.
Is it because they have become pals over the years and he respects Roy's knowledge of the game.

The main thing I thought ye would be all discussing is how will Roy impact on the players.
Already most of the players are suffering from a lack of belief in themselves as Trapper Tony has removed all confidence in the players and changed the whole psyche of playing for Ireland. Players used to enjoy leaving their clubs and coming to play in an Ireland team with great team spirit where their efforts would be appreciated. As we saw too often in the last few years Trap undermined players confidence even more and got them scared to even make a pass.
I can't see how having Roy there will improve this side of things unless Roy himself changes HUGELY under Martin.

I wonder how John O'Shea for one feels about Roy coming back into the fold. I'd say he'll happily retire now.
Maybe MON feels Roy will help put the fire into some of their bellies again. I heard somewhere that Martin has lost a little of the enthusiasm that he used to be renowned for.
With both of them playing under Clough at Forest then maybe they will both work together well and have us playing like Forest back in 1979 & 80 when the retained the European cup

Still can't believe he's 61.

ballinaman

Lots of lads here unable to move on by the looks of it.

O'Neill is the manager, Roy Keane is not the manager. People getting far too hung up on Keano.

Next competitive game will be September of next year, lots of time for them to put their stamp on things.

Looking forward to Friday week now.

Applesisapples

A career as Ireland's manager, a bit like politics is doomed to end in failure. But it can be fun at the start and maybe even through the middle. When Keane walked out on the team in Saipan I like a lot of fans at the time in my mind sided with McCarthy, the performances in spite of the loss of Keane reinforced that view. Recently when it's come up, I've tended to think that for someone like Keane to walk away from what would have been the pinnacle of his career was actually a courageous thing to do, knowing that it would likely draw the ire of at least half the country. Whether things were as bad as he said, I don't know but surely he desreves the benefit of the doubt. What he can bring to the table for Ireland is that drive for success, passion and honesty. He is always going to divide opinion on his character as much as O'Neill unites people on his...A dream team? Lets see.

Fuzzman

Most players don't play well under pressure of making a mistake or under fear.

rodney trotter

I think with MON in charge now, the flow of players from the North declaring for the Republic will increase.
Ryan McLaughin - Liverpool would be one.