Started by CĂșig huaire, November 19, 2009, 01:34:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

laoislad

Quote from: camanchero on October 11, 2013, 09:40:52 PM
Lol
f**king typos
Good young players I meant!

Not bad for a rudderless side that didn't have any cohesion et
A bit of organisation etc and the same bunch with diff formation and some positivity and belief...

Bad result for yer lot against Azerbaijan.
When you think you're fucked you're only about 40% fucked.

Main Street

Lol
f**king typos

A bit of organisation etc and the same bunch with diff formation and some positivity and belief...
The team stared with a handicap considering  their campaign was over and there were a couple of  bizarre positional selections and this was against a top team in their own back yard, so I'd agree about the positives. A new manager has plenty available to work with, to improve on that last night.

From the Bunker

In fairness to King, he actually has done some of the donkey work for the next manager, bringing back quite a few of the outcasts. Stokes, Reid, Gibson and to a lesser extent Doyle have all got a feel again of international football. Last night no matter how you looked at it was a damage limitation exercise. King was not going to be starting a new revolution in two dead rubber games. That is for the next Messiah. Anyway that's where we are. New Manager needs to be sorted. I have a feeling that the FAI are waiting for the end of the English domestic season to see what other potential Managers become available. Anyway, we are in a sort of limbo at the moment. We will still have high enough ranking for the Euros but we are thin on the ground with classy players in key positions.

Main Street

The criticism of the team from rte, both in commentary and in the studio  was the worst I have come across.
I'd say it was  RTE's blackest contribution to sport commentary and punditry. It wasn't just the negativity in the studio but that whinger Whelan never let up for 5 seconds, with a relentless whinge all through the commentary.
King is a caretaker manager brought in for 2 games, wtf did they expect?  a  5 days that shook the world revolution in Irish football? and here he was  thrown into the deep end against Germany where apart from a few obvious criticisms of the team positions  -  King did well.

camanchero

Quote from: laoislad on October 11, 2013, 10:27:59 PM
Lol
f**king typos

Bad result for yer lot against Azerbaijan.
Good result for your lot v Montenegro

Jonah

Quote from: camanchero on October 11, 2013, 09:22:25 PM
Decent second half

With a better manager, better tactics and some belief and positive play Ireland have god hung players tha could do well in the euro qualifiers .

Gibson and stokes showing great signs of potential
Def a huge addition

Stokes? Gave the ball away for the first goal and missed a few great chances.
He was out of his depth imho.

Zulu

Quote from: Main Street on October 12, 2013, 01:10:16 PM
The criticism of the team from rte, both in commentary and in the studio  was the worst I have come across.
I'd say it was  RTE's blackest contribution to sport commentary and punditry. It wasn't just the negativity in the studio but that whinger Whelan never let up for 5 seconds, with a relentless whinge all through the commentary.
King is a caretaker manager brought in for 2 games, wtf did they expect?  a  5 days that shook the world revolution in Irish football? and here he was  thrown into the deep end against Germany where apart from a few obvious criticisms of the team positions  -  King did well.

Agree 100%, I watch little or no soccer anymore but Giles and Dunphy are pure spoofers and that the gombeen O'Herlihy hasn't the balls or the brains to call them out for their buffoonery is astonishing. We think Spillane and the rest are bad, well I'd doubt there's a worse panel in sport than the RTE soccer crowd.

Captain Obvious

Quote from: Zulu on October 12, 2013, 08:06:58 PM
Quote from: Main Street on October 12, 2013, 01:10:16 PM

Agree 100%, I watch little or no soccer anymore but Giles and Dunphy are pure spoofers and that the gombeen O'Herlihy hasn't the balls or the brains to call them out for their buffoonery is astonishing. We think Spillane and the rest are bad, well I'd doubt there's a worse panel in sport than the RTE soccer crowd.

In fairness Joe Brolly wouldn't be out of place on the RTE soccer panel. Whatever about professional soccer i think its time to ditch the attention seeking punditry in amateur sport.

mylestheslasher

Contrary to a lot of the negative talk I thought that we did ok in the last game. First up we had a completely new team. The whole spine was changed. Secondly a new manager with only a few days with the players. Finally we were playing one of the best teams in the world in their own back yard, most teams would be losing by 2-3 goals.

We may have been outclassed but at least when the opportunity arose we tried to play football unlike our previous manager. I think Kelly & Wilson are two weak points and Doyle needs to get back to a higher level before he should be considered. Was impressed with the 2 ctr backs and thought Gibson did well. Our goal has to be to become a strong tier 2 team as that is as good as we can be with the players at our disposal.

From the Bunker

Just wondering if there has ever been a country in Europe with a weaker infrastructure and a weaker domestic game than our own that have qualified for the world cup in the past? The only one i can think of is Northern Ireland!

Main Street

Quote from: From the Bunker on October 13, 2013, 02:15:39 PM
Just wondering if there has ever been a country in Europe with a weaker infrastructure and a weaker domestic game than our own that have qualified for the world cup in the past? The only one i can think of is Northern Ireland!
Perhaps Slovenia - 2 world cups 1 Euros,     one more Finals than us, over the same timespan.
Maybe their best team is way better than the LOI best team but the rest of the Sovenian league would not be up to much. Crowds of <10,000 for Slovenia's home games.

muppet

Quote from: Main Street on October 13, 2013, 06:03:06 PM
Quote from: From the Bunker on October 13, 2013, 02:15:39 PM
Perhaps Slovenia - 2 world cups 1 Euros,     one more Finals than us, over the same timespan.
Maybe their best team is way better than the LOI best team but the rest of the Sovenian league would not be up to much. Crowds of <10,000 for Slovenia's home games.

They only became independent in 1991!
MWWSI 2017

take_yer_points

ballinaman

Savage trip. Shite football but that's been the story since the match in Estonia so I'm well used to it at this stage.

Good article here I thought...

http://www.irishtimes.com/sport/friday-night-confirmed-where-the-republic-of-ireland-s-and-anthony-stokes-level-is-1.1559373?page=1

I see Johan Cruyffs odd's to be next Ireland manager and dropping big time, fair bit of money going on him obviously... :o

magpie seanie

Quote from: mylestheslasher on October 13, 2013, 11:12:29 AM
Contrary to a lot of the negative talk I thought that we did ok in the last game. First up we had a completely new team. The whole spine was changed. Secondly a new manager with only a few days with the players. Finally we were playing one of the best teams in the world in their own back yard, most teams would be losing by 2-3 goals.

We may have been outclassed but at least when the opportunity arose we tried to play football unlike our previous manager. I think Kelly & Wilson are two weak points and Doyle needs to get back to a higher level before he should be considered. Was impressed with the 2 ctr backs and thought Gibson did well. Our goal has to be to become a strong tier 2 team as that is as good as we can be with the players at our disposal.

Didn't see the whole match (bits here and there) but from what I saw I'd agree totally with the above. I thought it wasn't all that bad considering. There were one or two things where you could say - yip, they worked on that. We should have got a goal or two. To me it looked like the players were more into the whole thing. I'd give Noel King a lot of marks for what I saw to be fair.