Previous topic - Next topic

Christmas Lights

Quote from: muppet on May 29, 2013, 10:25:05 PM
QuoteHodgson on Brazil. "They play a slightly different type of football."

;D ;D ;D ;D

We are not Brazil, we are Republic of Iron

lol jk x

Declan

Forde kept us in it in the last 10 when we tired a bit but I thought Coleman, McCarthy and Long were excellent last night and we probably deserved the draw. England never really got out of 2nd gear and remain a bunch of individuals rather than a team. Roll on Georgia and the Faroes ;)

EC Unique

Quote from: Declan on May 30, 2013, 08:30:49 AM
Forde kept us in it in the last 10 when we tired a bit but I thought Coleman, McCarthy and Long were excellent last night and we probably deserved the draw. England never really got out of 2nd gear and remain a bunch of individuals rather than a team. Roll on Georgia and the Faroes ;)

I would guess Brazil will destroy them on Sunday. A draw with Ireland and defeat by Brazil will have their media talking! ;D

BennyCake

I see another player born in the North has opted to play for the Republic. Liam McAlinden, from Wolves. And Rory Donnelly (Swansea) doesn't want to be considered for NI.

rodney trotter

Quote from: BennyCake on June 02, 2013, 01:23:25 PM
I see another player born in the North has opted to play for the Republic. Liam McAlinden, from Wolves. And Rory Donnelly (Swansea) doesn't want to be considered for NI.

Its harsh enough on the North losing players, but the players are eligible under the rule which came through in 2010. when the FAI won a case in Court of Arbitration for Sport Switzerland. Daniel Kearns switched from the North and featured in u19 and u21 squads but I can't see him ever making it at Senior Level. Shane Ferguson was considering switching to the Republic a few years but opted to stay and was probably better off.
Donnelly didn't make a first team appearance for Swansea since he joined from cliftonville bar in the Carling cup, he has a long way to go before making the Republic Squad.

Some of the players switching would be better off staying with the North where they would be getting some regular international football.

BennyCake

I'd say these lads would rather not play international football at all, than line out for NI.

And harsh for NI? Ah yeah, my heart just bleeds for them.

trileacman

Quote from: BennyCake on June 02, 2013, 01:51:59 PM
I'd say these lads would rather not play international football at all, than line out for NI.

Agreed not like they're passing up a major oppurtunity, just avoiding some miserable tankings.
Fantasy Rugby World Cup Champion 2011,
Fantasy 6 Nations Champion 2014

BennyCake

Quote from: trileacman on June 02, 2013, 02:00:17 PM

Agreed not like they're passing up a major oppurtunity, just avoiding some miserable tankings.

Well, I suppose there is that. But that's not really what I was getting at.

rodney trotter

Then why is Michael O Neill managing Norn Iron - a catholic, was that not suppose to be enhance more players to declare for the North and not the Republic, Doesn't bother me if they are not playing for Northern Ireland im not from there, the whole sectarian chanting is hardly as bad as it was?

EC Unique

Quote from: rodney trotter on June 02, 2013, 04:06:37 PM

Then why is Michael O Neill managing Norn Iron - a catholic, was that not suppose to be enhance more players to declare for the North and not the Republic, Doesn't bother me if they are not playing for Northern Ireland im not from there, the whole sectarian chanting is hardly as bad as it was?

The vast majority of N.Ireland fans are from a loyalist background. You only have to look at the display of flags and rangers tops etc at the matches. Why any catholic with would want to play for them now when they can play for the 26 is beyond me. Like already said plenty would rather not play international than play for the wee 6. A proper 32 county Ireland team would be great but will prob not happen any time soon.

Hoof Hearted

Quote from: EC Unique on June 02, 2013, 04:19:54 PM

The vast majority of N.Ireland fans are from a loyalist background. You only have to look at the display of flags and rangers tops etc at the matches. Why any catholic with would want to play for them now when they can play for the 26 is beyond me. Like already said plenty would rather not play international than play for the wee 6. A proper 32 county Ireland team would be great but will prob not happen any time soon.

there has to be a better word than vast to incorporate 99.9999% !!
Treble 6 Nations Fantasy Rugby champion 2008, 2011 & 2012

Celt_Man

GAA Board Six Nations Fantasy Champion 2010

BennyCake

Then why is Michael O Neill managing Norn Iron - a catholic, was that not suppose to be enhance more players to declare for the North and not the Republic...

Yes, I suppose MON's appointment was to try and recruit more catholic players, but it's far too late. The horse bolted decades ago. The IFA were told years ago about the situation between NI and it's fans/players, and they did nothing to make Catholics feel more welcome. Very few Catholics in the North (except Marty Clarke maybe) give a toss about the NI team. And fewer and fewer Catholics want to represent a team with bigoted scumbags supporters giving them abuse, standing for an anthem and flag that is alien to them. Not only that, but if a player/fan doesn't even recognise the country/state/province of NI, then why would they play for or support them?

rodney trotter

Quote from: BennyCake on June 02, 2013, 06:04:55 PM
Then why is Michael O Neill managing Norn Iron - a catholic, was that not suppose to be enhance more players to declare for the North and not the Republic...

Yes, I suppose MON's appointment was to try and recruit more catholic players, but it's far too late. The horse bolted decades ago. The IFA were told years ago about the situation between NI and it's fans/players, and they did nothing to make Catholics feel more welcome. Very few Catholics in the North (except Marty Clarke maybe) give a toss about the NI team. And fewer and fewer Catholics want to represent a team with bigoted scumbags supporters giving them abuse, standing for an anthem and flag that is alien to them. Not only that, but if a player/fan doesn't even recognise the country/state/province of NI, then why would they play for or support them?

I'd agree, the whole shite with Death threats to Lennon , Paddy McCourt in the past, hardly gives a great image.
Probaly was too late when O Neill took over.

32 County team would be a great solution, but far too much politics.

From the Bunker

This has been looked at on this board many times. The biggest impasse is there would only be half the jobs for the boys from top to bottom. Nobody is going to vote themselves out of a cushy job. The Leagues joining up would suit the bigger clubs in the North and south, attendance wise. A joint League would improve clubs especially in the North. Then we are down to the Anthem. We'd probably end up with Irelands Call.

Actually the way it is is sound. Everybody is Happy!