FAI...New Manager Hunt continues

Started by CĂșig huaire, November 19, 2009, 01:34:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Declan

Great first half NI  -shows what can be done. Wonder can they hang on?

laoislad

In a pub in Cork here. Whole pub cheered when Northern Ireland scored against Portugal.
When you think you're fucked you're only about 40% fucked.

SHEEDY

french scored last minute equaliser to draw 1-1 against spain
nil satis nisi optimum

The Gs Man

Keep 'er lit

SHEEDY

nil satis nisi optimum

Milltown Row2

Nearly over, 90 mins!! Drew with Lux and nearly beat Portugal!!
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

magpie seanie

That NI result should be a wake up call to the "we don't have the players" brigade. Surely our players are at least as good as what NI have at their disposal?

Favourite bit of cranky Chippy tonight - if Robbie claimed it he must have touched it, he wouldn't lie about it !!!!!!

Great that we got a comfortable win albeit against a team with several part time players. Again, ridiculous decisions by the manager to start the lads playing in the US (even though one scored), bringing on flippin Cox for Brady but McCarthy, Wilson, Coleman all offer hope. If we get Dunne back, Long and McLean into the side we mightnt be half bad. I'd strongly consider Kelly at RB and play Coleman on the right wing. Not sure about the keeper. A starter, might have forgotten a few....

Westwood

Kelly   Dunne   O'Shea/Clarke    Wilson 

Coleman   McCarthy   Andrews/Fahey    McLean

Long       Walters/Doyle

Main Street

Seanie, you should give this lark of picking a 442 Irish team a miss.
When is the last time you have seen Kelly play?

Good 2nd half against the Faroes. I actually saw Westwood throw the ball out twice to the feet of some Irish player in the 2nd half.
His first half was spent hoofing it to Walters, the 2nd half we kept it on the ground, worked hard and eventual surpassed the Faroes in the passing statistics.
I hope Cunningham can recover his fitness and form soon and get into that LB position.
I don't know about Trap and this result , the selected starting team was all set to play the same long ball game to Walters,  then he changes it in the 2nd half or do the players decide that stuff at half time (according to some reports)?
Regardless, it still appears that Trap's first port of call is the hoof game. He did well to get this bunch of players from the technically crude English club teams to the Euros, but time to move on and see if we can manage to get them to play football.

Billys Boots

I thought we'd a good second half - shows we can play a bit when asked, though we were lucky to score immediately on the restart, and we made a lot of chances after that.  McCarthy was really, really positive in his tackling and passing; we could have scored six or seven. 

To me the results last night show: (a) we're not as bad as we thought, or Trapp thinks, (b) Germany are not as good as we (or they) think, and are vulnerable at the back without Hummels (if teams go after them in the right way), and (c) Kazakhstan are no good (again if approached in the correct fashion). 

I wish Portugal were in our group - they were muck. 
My hands are stained with thistle milk ...

Main Street

Yeah, we spent the first half against the Faroes (basically a fishing town team) ignoring that we could play football, in contrast to the Faroes who tried to knock it about on the ground. That's the part that doesn't inspire me, first choice is the hoofing game but if the opposition are weak enough we just might be allowed to play it on the ground. There's not much chance of us being set up to do that against better teams.
Both Austria and Sweden will be confident of handling our type of game, dominate the possession and chances.

Crete Boom

First of all well done to the lads a win is a win especially after the Germany debacle. We should remember though that the majority of the Faroes team are part-timers and the definitely suffered fitness wise in the second half because of a tough match on the previous Friday. But they did seem to have the number of O'Shea and O'Dea whenever the ball was delivered from out wide which is a major worry and it did take an own goal to seal the result for us. On the positive side Coleman and Wilson were solid and attacked really well throughout the game and preferred to try and retain possession when they received the ball as opposed to hoofing it long. Keith Andrews got into the box as much as he could and did the donkey work in midfield but the highlight for me was James McCarthy. He constantly demanded the ball and provided a focus to begin each attack. McGeady played well and again showed what we could have if he could match consistency with his natural ability. Walters again ran himself into the ground and is now a real option up front for us even though Long should still be in ahead of him.
On Trap watch well the Cox substitution put pay to any hope he might have changed his ways and the way we stood off the Faroes after the first 15 mins to settle for 0-0 at half time points to the same old failings. Also to hall off Robbie Brady at half time was baffling and can't have done his confidence any good?When we went 2-0 up again we dropped off and invited the Faroes on to us which was almost fatal and would have been fatal against a professional team! Again in the aftermatch interview he (maybe unintentionally) put down the Irish players by saying we haven't a hope against Germany which is a rookie mistake to admit in public even if it is true. Germany can't be as invincible as he thinks or else Sweden are now in that unbeatable bracket Trap doesn't believe we can compete with?
Lastly fair play to our northern brethren in Oporto last night. What a magnificent result and shows what a well organised properly set up passionate team can achieve on any given night provided they have a system that suits them and that they can believe in. Johny Evans put in a huge performance at the back and McGinn and Corey Evans got through trojan work on the wings and attacked well all night to keep Portugal honest. Any one notice that bar last 20 mins the North did their best to keep possession of the ball through Davis etc.... ;)

magpie seanie

Quote from: Main Street on October 16, 2012, 11:55:43 PM
Seanie, you should give this lark of picking a 442 Irish team a miss.
When is the last time you have seen Kelly play?

Good 2nd half against the Faroes. I actually saw Westwood throw the ball out twice to the feet of some Irish player in the 2nd half.
His first half was spent hoofing it to Walters, the 2nd half we kept it on the ground, worked hard and eventual surpassed the Faroes in the passing statistics.
I hope Cunningham can recover his fitness and form soon and get into that LB position.
I don't know about Trap and this result , the selected starting team was all set to play the same long ball game to Walters,  then he changes it in the 2nd half or do the players decide that stuff at half time (according to some reports)?
Regardless, it still appears that Trap's first port of call is the hoof game. He did well to get this bunch of players from the technically crude English club teams to the Euros, but time to move on and see if we can manage to get them to play football.

OK - no need to get all revved about it. I was only starting a discussion.

Declan

thewobbler

Quote from: magpie seanie on October 16, 2012, 11:30:40 PM
That NI result should be a wake up call to the "we don't have the players" brigade. Surely our players are at least as good as what NI have at their disposal?

Since 1986, NI have had a result like this every two years. The trade-off has always been two years of horrible results in between.

Seriously though, when you look at how far Scotland have fallen and how consistently rubbish Wales have always been, there's a lot to be said for having a chance of seeing tournament football. On paper there's probably a better team in Wales these days than there is in Ireland, but you'd never know it.

AZOffaly

Trap keeps his job. Guess the Faroes result saved him. Shane Long will be ecstatic :D