FAI...New Manager Hunt continues

Started by Cúig huaire, November 19, 2009, 01:34:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Asal Mor

Quote from: Declan on October 15, 2012, 11:58:20 AM
QuoteConsidering that he's worked with real world class players(not Robbie Keane 'world class') in his days as coach of Juventus, so its hardly surprising he doesn't trust Irish players to have the ability to hold onto the ball for any length of time

Its one thing not trusting them to hold onto the ball it's another thing to be consistently saying publicly that they aren't good enough etc and then expect them to perform for him.

Exactly Declan. He said again in his post match interview that the players have no skills. His treatment of the players has been a disgrace. If it goes badly against the Faroes I could see more players walking away if Trap doesn't. I think the fans should let him know as vocally as possible at the next home game that they want him to do the decent thing and resign. If anyone bothers going.

Billys Boots

Quote from: AZOffaly on October 15, 2012, 12:29:42 PM
I think we are awful hard on Robbie Keane. We might be bloody delighted to have him in Toshavn.

I think you're right.  Twice.  For people that supposedly have low expectations, we should love Robbie.
My hands are stained with thistle milk ...

deiseach

Quote from: Onlooker on October 15, 2012, 11:21:26 AM
Anyone surprised that Robbie Keane was injured for the game last Friday against Germany, but is fit to play on Tuesday against the Faroe Islands. ;) ;)

What a mean-spirited comment, and no amount of smilies can change that. If he were fit, he would have played against Germany.

johnneycool

Quote from: nifan on October 15, 2012, 11:16:26 AM
Quote from: johnneycool on October 15, 2012, 11:12:06 AM
Considering that he's worked with real world class players(not Robbie Keane 'world class') in his days as coach of Juventus, so its hardly surprising he doesn't trust Irish players to have the ability to hold onto the ball for any length of time.

He may not rate the players, but he seems to differ with many in the relative rating of individual players compared to each other.

Agreed,
      he for whatever reason picks lads like Paul Green, McShane and others when everyone knows they're shíte on a good day rather than take a chance on an unknown to him even if they play in the premiership week in week out.

He's looked at what he's prepared to play and decided they're not good enough and to defend like hell and hope to get something on the break or from a set play. You could argue that this was what won Chelsea a CL title last year, the only difference is they'd players with individual brilliance to make the most of the limited opportunities as they arose in Drogba and Ramirez. Ireland don't have that either!

Ireland could do better  if McCarthy, Gibson and a few others were available but not an awful lot better.

thewobbler

QuoteIreland could do better  if McCarthy, Gibson and a few others were available but not an awful lot better.

See I don't even know if we would do any better.

Some people above are ranting about EPL players being left out. Except the players being left out are from lower half EPL teams. There's no CL players missing out, not even any Europa League players missing out. Just average players. And my experience of team sport is that average players with smaller egos are more effective than average players with big egos. This doesn't mean by the way the Houlahan and Wilson have problematic egos, but Gibson definitely has.

Until a handful of better players come along, what we've seen in the last 6 months is as good as it'll get. Trap really isn't that important in this equation.

deiseach

Quote from: thewobbler on October 15, 2012, 02:41:09 PM
Until a handful of better players come along, what we've seen in the last 6 months is as good as it'll get. Trap really isn't that important in this equation.

Surely we should be good enough not to lose 6-1 at home, even to Germany.

magpie seanie

QuoteIreland could do better  if McCarthy, Gibson and a few others were available but not an awful lot better.

Some people above are ranting about EPL players being left out. Except the players being left out are from lower half EPL teams. There's no CL players missing out, not even any Europa League players missing out. Just average players. And my experience of team sport is that average players with smaller egos are more effective than average players with big egos. This doesn't mean by the way the Houlahan and Wilson have problematic egos, but Gibson definitely has.

Lower half of the EPL is better than the leagues below than in England or playing in flippin Canada. If the guys missing out are "just average players" how would you label the guys who play at lower levels than them? The ego argument is a red herring - a good manager will get the best out of the most egotistical of players. Are you really suggesting that all our players are crap so we should pick the ones who know they are crap rather than the guys who think they're not? Is the level they play at it purely random and not indicative of ability? C'mon Wobbler, that doesn't stack up.

Lads - international football is not that great, we're not talking Champions League here. England are 5th very limited but very high in the world rankings. The fact that (in general, Friday being and exception) our players really care about representing our country gives us an advantage that we need to capitalise on.

rosnarun

Quote from: AZOffaly on October 15, 2012, 12:00:34 PM
I heard on newstalk that he had several beautiful ladies in his life. They were Black and White (Juve), Black and Blue (Inter), Black and Red (AC) and Blue and White (Italy). He was asked about his latest 'lady' in Green and White. He said she needed some time with the surgeon.
fair enough, but is he not meant to be the surgeon
If you make yourself understood, you're always speaking well. Moliere

thewobbler

Quote from: magpie seanie on October 15, 2012, 03:10:18 PM

Lower half of the EPL is better than the leagues below than in England or playing in flippin Canada. If the guys missing out are "just average players" how would you label the guys who play at lower levels than them? The ego argument is a red herring - a good manager will get the best out of the most egotistical of players. Are you really suggesting that all our players are crap so we should pick the ones who know they are crap rather than the guys who think they're not? Is the level they play at it purely random and not indicative of ability? C'mon Wobbler, that doesn't stack up.

Lads - international football is not that great, we're not talking Champions League here. England are 5th very limited but very high in the world rankings. The fact that (in general, Friday being and exception) our players really care about representing our country gives us an advantage that we need to capitalise on.

Seanie I get what you're saying and the lads playing football at EPL level should normally be te better ones. But things like Wolves getting relegated can change a player's worth all too quickly by using this method.

Where I'm coming from is maybe simpler. Keith Andrews is an awful footballer. But he wants to play at a higher level than what he does, so when he plays for Ireland, it's his shop window. He will do what he's told and will die trying. He doesn't regard his teammates or manager as a mill around his neck, he just plays ball. Gibson, on the other hand, plays football like a man who looks down on those around him, when he has done very little in his career to qualify such a thought. Personally I'd prefer to watch the former represent my country.

Let's not forget that Germany whalloped both England and Argentina in the most recent World Cup. People can complain about managers all they like (Maradona and Capello took some lampooning), but Germany can't just be lucky to come up against a series of badly managed teams. Nope. They're just better, and when they click, an awful lot better.

Declan

QuoteKeith Andrews is an awful footballer

That's way too harsh

Billys Boots

Quote from: Declan on October 15, 2012, 04:27:10 PM
QuoteKeith Andrews is an awful footballer

That's way too harsh

I've seen him play in the recent past in Championship (Ipswich, WBA and Bolton) games and he's the class act on the pitch - usually the only one.  He doesn't have (and probably never had) the pace for the highest level, but he is not an awful footballer. 
My hands are stained with thistle milk ...

The Biff

Team announced ... as on TheScore.ie

Republic of Ireland (v Faroe Islands): Westwood, Coleman, O'Shea, O'Dea, Wilson, Brady, Andrews, McCarthy, McGeady, Keane, Walters

http://www.thescore.ie/ireland-team-faroe-islands-636556-Oct2012/
Never argue with a fool; He'll bring you down to his level and then beat you on experience.

The Worker

From the Bunker

No1

QuoteWestwood, Coleman, O'Shea, O'Dea, Wilson, Brady, Andrews, McCarthy, McGeady, Keane, Walters

Surely not?  I simply cannot understand that decision.  Shocking.