FAI...New Manager Hunt continues

Started by CĂșig huaire, November 19, 2009, 01:34:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Applesisapples

Quote from: Jim_Murphy_74 on May 11, 2012, 04:40:18 PM
Quote from: spuds on May 11, 2012, 02:32:58 PM
Can't understand what you are getting so excited about, he said he never felt easy with the anthem and the singing at IFA games. Fairly easy to understand, I'm sure McGinn and McCourt don't feel great about it either but just get on with it. The fact that McClean has had threats made against him on Twitter etc. would hardly help the situation. If someone does not want to play for your team then just move on and get over it, like we have had to do with Stephen Ireland.

Wilson seems to have been consistent from the start.

Duffy and McClean were not.  Duffy first said that he was upset at being left on the bench for a Northern Ireland game.  Then he said it was ambition to play for the Republic because his father was from there.  McClean retrospectively went on about feeling uncomfortable about playing in Windsor Park (although it has since materialised he never actually played there).

If I was a Northern Ireland fan I would be take your advice to an extent but I would be pissed with Duffy for f**king around by accepting a squad call-up and afterwards saying he always wanted to play for the republic and I would be pissed at McClean for over-playing his discomfort card after the fact.

/Jim.
I didn't see any reference to Windsor in the quotes I read. U21 games are usually played at club grounds and would attract a fare few local Province fans.

Applesisapples

Lads, this is not about making a stand against the IFA. The botom line is that these lads if they want to play soccer can only do so within the system that exists in the North until invited by the FAI to join their youth setup. Some of the comments on here show a deep lack of understanding of how the North works. There is no equality of identity...a big failing on both the SDLP and SF's part. It was galling to see an IFA representative saying McClean's comments about Catholics feeling uncormfortable as being unhelpful whilst at the same time ignoring the elephant in the room which is the flags, anthem and chanting...The Scots fans had them sussed..."are you England in disguise"! It is bad enough being denied our identity by the Unionist State in which we live but now also by our fellow Irishmen.

EC Unique

A serious lack of understanding of what actually goes on in the 6 counties and in particular Windsor park is evident on this tread.

Minder

McClean threw his lot in with the Republic because he was pissed off about not getting selected for Norn Iron, if they had selected him when he was at Derry Coty he would now be playing for them.
"When it's too tough for them, it's just right for us"

Nally Stand

Quote from: Minder on May 12, 2012, 02:16:37 PM
McClean threw his lot in with the Republic because he was pissed off about not getting selected for Norn Iron, if they had selected him when he was at Derry Coty he would now be playing for them.

He tell you that himself I take it?  ::)
"The island of saints & scholars...and gombeens & fuckin' arselickers" Christy Moore

Minder

Quote from: Nally Stand on May 12, 2012, 02:21:25 PM

No but he did tell the Sunday Times the following -

"I maybe would have played for the North. I had been playing well with Derry City week in week out and he wasn't picking me but was picking players from the Irish League. I don't know why. I didn't hear from them for two years and then I got a call up when I signed for Suderland".

Nally Stand

Quote from: Minder on May 12, 2012, 02:25:59 PM

"I maybe would have played for the North. I had been playing well with Derry City week in week out and he wasn't picking me but was picking players from the Irish League. I don't know why. I didn't hear from them for two years and then I got a call up when I signed for Suderland".

You said he wanted to play for the north but opted for the south BECAUSE wasn't getting picked for OWC. Which is nonsense. In so far as I can see he is merely saying that he would have played for the north IF he couldn't get his chance of fulfilling what he calls his "dream" of playing with the south - not that he is playing for the south "because" he didn't get his chance for the north.
"The island of saints & scholars...and gombeens & fuckin' arselickers" Christy Moore

Minder

Quote from: Nally Stand on May 12, 2012, 02:40:49 PM

You said he wanted to play for the north but opted for the south BECAUSE wasn't getting picked for OWC. Which is nonsense. In so far as I can see he is merely saying that he would have played for the north IF he couldn't get his chance of fulfilling what he calls his "dream" of playing with the south - not that he is playing for the south "because" he didn't get his chance for the north.

That's an interesting, but unsurprising, interpretation of a direct quote from McClean.

I thought you had no interest in soccer?

Tony Baloney

Quote from: Nally Stand on May 12, 2012, 02:40:49 PM

Almost all soccer players are mercenaries so why rush to the defence of a man with a reversible jersey. You wouldn't play for the north if you had the talent and opportunity and that would be your right but McClean can hardly claim to have the moral or idealogical high ground after he pulled on the OWC jersey.

Whilst it is great that he eventually made the right choice he should have just shut the f**k up as he has made a fool of himself.

Gazzler

Quote from: EC Unique on May 12, 2012, 02:09:53 PM
A serious lack of understanding of what actually goes on in the 6 counties and in particular Windsor park is evident on this tread.
Well go on then tell us all what actually goes on?

Tony Baloney

Quote from: trileacman on May 11, 2012, 06:08:21 PM
Quote from: fitzroyalty on May 11, 2012, 05:10:28 PM
Quote from: trileacman on May 11, 2012, 02:24:25 PM
I find it a bit hollow now for him to be spouting his great love for the republic side and his unease with the IFA setup. As someone else was saying if he had such reservations about it why did he play all the way up through their youth ranks and at U-21 level? How come he was willing to ignore the Unionist trappings for the benefit of his career back then but now he isn't? He can say what he likes about the IFA, and most of it is true, but its sounds very hypocritical to me given he wore the green and white for so often and without complaint.
Calling him hollow is far out IMO.

I'm not sure the same opportunities exist for someone growing up in Derry compared to say Dublin as far as schoolboy football opportunities go. When you're at that age you have to be selfish and you take anything that comes your way. So from underage I can understand why he did play for NI.

I don't frequent many youth games outside of GAA but I can't imagine NI underage matches having the full trimmings as far as Unionist trappings are concerned - so maybe he was more worried about what lay in store at Windsor had he opted to declare for the NI senior squad. I personally would have loved NI to have qualified for the Euros but I'd never in a million years go to Windsor for the exact same reasons I suspect McClean doesn't want to play for them.
Maybe calling him hollow is a bit extreme but I'm just saying that he isn't the beacon of nationalist disobedience towards the IFA that some people are making him out to be. I understand his problems with the NI team but turning round now and saying that he only ever wanted to play for the republic is hypocritical to me given that he donned the IFA jersey without complaint for several years. If he done it to further his career then grand but don't turn around and say that you only ever wanted to play for the South. He may have wanted to play for the South growing up but when he was willing to dispense his ideals to further his career not that long ago.

I don't know Wislon's case but if what I read is true then he is one of the few players able to come out and rant about this because he has backed his principles from the start.
+1.

If I had read this first I could have saved my last post.

Celt_Man

GAA Board Six Nations Fantasy Champion 2010

laoislad

Penalty shoot out between Crusaders and Derry City in the Setanta Cup Final.
When you think you're fucked you're only about 40% fucked.