FAI...New Manager Hunt continues

Started by CĂșig huaire, November 19, 2009, 01:34:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Forever Green

My team hasn`t went down well then  :D  8)

Anyway, good to see McLean picked, gives us a bit more attacking potential. Sad news regarding McCarthys father. All the best to him

Capt Pat

That was a straight forward squad selection after McCarthys withdrawal. It is a pity players like McCarthy Ireland and Coleman, maybe Hoolahan as well won't be there. That is a lot of talent we can't really afford to do without.

Main Street

If SI had made himself available at the start of the qual campaign then maybe he could have fitted in, but he didn't make himself available, 
end of that story. Incredible that people can't read his lips, 'I don't want to play for Ireland',
to a more recent 'I might consider it, if they contacted me'.
Yes,  we can afford to be without that dead weight.

Coleman has had a stop start season, who knows what we might be missing this time around but surely if he gets his head down he will make the wc qualifier squad.

High Wide and Handsome

I think Marc Wilson should have been in the squad.
Consistent performer in the Premier League and his versatility is a massive bonus.
"Swing er over!"

AQMP

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-northern-ireland-17987182

James McClean subjected to abuse after Republic of Ireland call-up

Former Northern Ireland U-21 footballer James McClean has been subjected to sectarian abuse after being named in the Republic of Ireland's Euro 2012 squad.  Some of the messages directed at the Londonderry man on Twitter also contained threats.  The 23-year-old winger, who plays for Sunderland in the Premier League, discovered on Monday that he had been included in Giovanni Trapattoni's team for next month's finals.  He said he was thrilled at the call-up.  McClean tweeted: "Absolutely honoured and couldn't be happier to have been called up to represent my country at the Euros. No better feeling."

He later told the Mail: "To be called up to represent Ireland has always been a personal dream of mine and to be associated with players who I have watched myself is very special.   "I can't wait to join up with the squad and start to focus on the Championships."  His news was met with messages of congratulations, but also some posts containing sectarian abuse and threats to kill.

Some of the messages have since been deleted.  One fan tweeted in response: "The sectarian and discriminatory abuse James McClean is taking off confused NI fans is simply a disgrace."  Another said: "Just heard that James McClean is in the Irish euro 2012 squad. Good lad, he deserves it."  McClean, who carries an Irish passport, made a general response following the abuse on Twitter.  He tweeted: "Love the dogs' abuse am gettin off shock N.I fans, just worry about watchin ur own country at the euros... oh wait #mybad #awkward haha."

East Londonderry MP Gregory Campbell said it was "reprehensible that anybody's life is threatened by whatever decisions they take".  "Hopefully we can get beyond that and get on with the tournament and people can support whatever team they feel comfortable supporting," he said.  SDLP assembly member Conall McDevitt also condemned the threats saying proper football fans would not condone them.

"Football is one of the most amazing sports in the world. We need to unite behind players who are going to lay their bodies on the line... and not think about the politics."  A spokesperson for the PSNI said: "We don't discuss individual cases, however, if we receive information that a person's life may be at risk we will inform them accordingly. We never ignore anything which may put an individual at risk."  McClean has previously been the target of abuse from unhappy Northern Ireland fans since he declared for the Republic, having been brought through the ranks by the Irish Football Association.  He made a massive impression in his first season at Sunderland and made his senior debut for the Republic in February.   The former Derry City player received a huge ovation when he came on as a substitute against the Czech Republic.

The Republic will continue their preparations for this summer's tournament in Poland and Ukraine by playing friendlies against Bosnia-Herzegovina on Saturday 26 May and Denmark two days later.

seafoid

Quote from: AQMP on May 08, 2012, 10:07:19 AM
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-northern-ireland-17987182

James McClean subjected to abuse after Republic of Ireland call-up

Former Northern Ireland U-21 footballer James McClean has been subjected to sectarian abuse after being named in the Republic of Ireland's Euro 2012 squad.  Some of the messages directed at the Londonderry man on Twitter also contained threats.  The 23-year-old winger, who plays for Sunderland in the Premier League, discovered on Monday that he had been included in Giovanni Trapattoni's team for next month's finals.  He said he was thrilled at the call-up.  McClean tweeted: "Absolutely honoured and couldn't be happier to have been called up to represent my country at the Euros. No better feeling."

He later told the Mail: "To be called up to represent Ireland has always been a personal dream of mine and to be associated with players who I have watched myself is very special.   "I can't wait to join up with the squad and start to focus on the Championships."  His news was met with messages of congratulations, but also some posts containing sectarian abuse and threats to kill.

Some of the messages have since been deleted.  One fan tweeted in response: "The sectarian and discriminatory abuse James McClean is taking off confused NI fans is simply a disgrace."  Another said: "Just heard that James McClean is in the Irish euro 2012 squad. Good lad, he deserves it."  McClean, who carries an Irish passport, made a general response following the abuse on Twitter.  He tweeted: "Love the dogs' abuse am gettin off shock N.I fans, just worry about watchin ur own country at the euros... oh wait #mybad #awkward haha."

East Londonderry MP Gregory Campbell said it was "reprehensible that anybody's life is threatened by whatever decisions they take".  "Hopefully we can get beyond that and get on with the tournament and people can support whatever team they feel comfortable supporting," he said.  SDLP assembly member Conall McDevitt also condemned the threats saying proper football fans would not condone them.

"Football is one of the most amazing sports in the world. We need to unite behind players who are going to lay their bodies on the line... and not think about the politics."  A spokesperson for the PSNI said: "We don't discuss individual cases, however, if we receive information that a person's life may be at risk we will inform them accordingly. We never ignore anything which may put an individual at risk."  McClean has previously been the target of abuse from unhappy Northern Ireland fans since he declared for the Republic, having been brought through the ranks by the Irish Football Association.  He made a massive impression in his first season at Sunderland and made his senior debut for the Republic in February.   The former Derry City player received a huge ovation when he came on as a substitute against the Czech Republic.

The Republic will continue their preparations for this summer's tournament in Poland and Ukraine by playing friendlies against Bosnia-Herzegovina on Saturday 26 May and Denmark two days later.

Where is Londonderry ?

fitzroyalty

OWCers are not one bit happy. Are there many northern fans here who dislike the NI team the same way they dislike/hate the ROI team? Always seems to be a lot of hostility but I like to see local players do well, however rare that may be.

Applesisapples

The sectarian trappings of NI and the insistence on GSTQ, flag etc makes it impossible to get behind OWC or should that be OW2/3P, Our Wee Two Thirds of a Province. Queue EG...

Ulick

Quote from: fitzroyalty on May 08, 2012, 10:44:32 AM
OWCers are not one bit happy. Are there many northern fans here who dislike the NI team the same way they dislike/hate the ROI team? Always seems to be a lot of hostility but I like to see local players do well, however rare that may be.

For some reason the OWCers seem to think the Ireland team are their main rivals, whereas the Irish supporters are mostly ambivilant or actually like to see them do well. Probably a bit like the Ireland-England soccer relationship. 

Gazzler

The article stating he is from LondonDerry probably won't help!

ziggy90

Quote from: Ulick on May 08, 2012, 11:38:20 AM

For some reason the OWCers seem to think the Ireland team are their main rivals, whereas the Irish supporters are mostly ambivilant or actually like to see them do well. Probably a bit like the Ireland-England soccer relationship.

Can you explain that sentence a bit further.
Questions that shouldn't be asked shouldn't be answered

Ulick

Quote from: ziggy90 on May 08, 2012, 12:00:43 PM
Quote from: Ulick on May 08, 2012, 11:38:20 AM

Can you explain that sentence a bit further.

The Irish in general like to see the English bate, whereas the English like to see us do well.

ziggy90

Ah, I see now (says the blind man). True that.
Questions that shouldn't be asked shouldn't be answered

ballinaman

Puyol out. Knee surgery. We'll take anything we get!

Leo

Quote from: High Wide and Handsome on May 08, 2012, 09:48:49 AM
I think Marc Wilson should have been in the squad.
Consistent performer in the Premier League and his versatility is a massive bonus.

Wilson, Paddy Kenny & Hoolahan have been regulars for their premiership clubs while Clark & Pilkington have also had a fair number of games at that level.
I still don't get the Kenny thing - full premiership season for QPR as against Westwood who is now 3rd choice at Sunderland and Forde who can't get in the Milwall team.

In the Championship the immense talent of Jeff Hendrick has gone unnoticed - he played over 10 games more than Green in the Derby midfield - while Noel Hunt has had a much better season than his brother.

So here is a team of "in form" absentee friends to ponder:

Paddy Kenny (QPR)
Damien Delaney (Ipswich), Colin Clark (A Villa), Shane Duffy (Everton), Marc Wilson (Stoke)
Wes Hoolahan (Norwich), Anthony Pilkington (Norwich), Jeff Hendrick (Derby), Noel Hunt (Reading)
Anthony Stokes (Celtic), Adam Rooney (Birmingham)

I believ Clark, Duffy, Hendrick & McClean will be the backbone of the Irish team in the coming seasons.
Fierce tame altogether