FAI...New Manager Hunt continues

Started by Cúig huaire, November 19, 2009, 01:34:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hoof Hearted

Quote from: Whitehair on December 03, 2011, 08:14:52 PM
Quote from: The Worker on December 03, 2011, 04:10:23 PM
Anyone here going to the finals?

Few of us booked Luton to Rzeszow in SE Poland a few weeks back 6th-17th for £120 return. Getting the 6days travel in a month Interrail ticket for 80euro and doing something like Warsaw 7th-8th(Opening ceremony/Poland v Greece), Poznan 9th-10th(Ireland v Croatia), Gdansk 11th-14th(Ireland v Spain), Warsaw 15th-16th(Greece v Russia) then down to Rzeszow and home on the 17th. Maybe get the odd night in a hostel but mainly camping/passing out. Cant't wait!

fcuk for a single man that sounds class !
Treble 6 Nations Fantasy Rugby champion 2008, 2011 & 2012

ThroughTheLaces

10 of us flying over. 12th to 19th, can't wait already!
The apple never falls far from the tree.

Milltown Row2

Quote from: ThroughTheLaces on December 03, 2011, 09:10:48 AM
Quote from: Milltown Row2 on December 03, 2011, 08:51:12 AM
I love all the optimism but Ireland won't win a game. Sorry if I burst your bubble

Well there you have it everybody. Cancel your flights, no point in going now.

Well England are there............ Besides  I'm not a "saccer" man. I don't mind it though. I just think and it's my view of course that Ireland won't get out of the group.

If you say different, thats grand.
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

sammymaguire

A little bit of optimism doesn't hurt now does it Milltown? I think we all know Ireland will be hard pushed to get 2 draws but everyone will go to give it their best shot and enjoy it as much as they can. It could be another 10 years before we see another major international tournament involving our national team (well some of us anyway as we seem to have plenty of West Brits on this board who I am sure will expect their glorious England to keep qualifying for them  ;) )
DRIVE THAT BALL ON!!

Orangemac

As ugly as Irelands style of play is there is a gameplan and sense of purpose behind it. There is a great camaraderie amongst the Ireland players and this goes a long way.Compare this to Paul Scholes recent comments that the Utd and Liverpool players did not get on with each other on international duty.

Ireland have 4 strikers palying well and if Given/Dunne are fit the defence should be ok. I know Trap won't change but for the Spain game he should play Doyle up front on his own and put an extra body in midfield(Fahy probably). We saw against Russia how Ireland struggle against good passing teams and 2 wingers would be wasted especially as Spain don't play with a lot of width.

Italy are not the team they were and can be got at. I would be optimistic of getting a point from this game. Croatia is a must win. Obviously Modric is the player to watch but have they not got a lot of players who are past thier best and not playing at the level they were such as Kranjar,Corluka and Eduardo still starting for them?

Would love to go to this but can't see the wife or bank manager being happy about it.

As for England they have some good young players coming through but Capello is a bit of a clown and as long as there are egos such as Terry around they will win nothing.See they are preparing properly anyway ::)

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-2069646/England-head-Marbella-Euro-2012-build-up.html?ito=feeds-newsxml

Main Street

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on December 04, 2011, 09:43:20 AM
Quote from: ThroughTheLaces on December 03, 2011, 09:10:48 AM
Quote from: Milltown Row2 on December 03, 2011, 08:51:12 AM
I love all the optimism but Ireland won't win a game. Sorry if I burst your bubble

Well there you have it everybody. Cancel your flights, no point in going now.

Well England are there............ Besides  I'm not a "saccer" man. I don't mind it though. I just think and it's my view of course that Ireland won't get out of the group.

If you say different, thats grand.
Is there a lot of optimism here? Maybe you are confusing hope with optimism?

There is not a lot of difference between us and Croatia, maybe you have seen their group games especially the one where they were beaten by Greece and decided otherwise. But I'd see the first game as a 50/50 game. Them being technically superior but us as a better team.

A rank outside chance against Spain

Maybe Italy will be functioning to a higher levels by the time of the Finals than they have shown in the group games, but more often than not, Italy have demonstrated varying degrees of disfunction at the Finals and come a cropper against well organised teams
Also I'd expect that we will be well prepared for all these games by Trap and Tardelli.
Trap dwarves Prandelli, when it comes to managerial nous.
So there is always hope and reasonable grounds to be optimistic of getting through to the next stage.

NetNitrate

Have a feeling we'll come under severe pressure in the first game but sneak a one nill win after some donkey type defending from the Croats. We'll be no hopers in the second game but we'll score a goal out of nowhere and look set for a famous victory until a danger here moment in the last few minutes and the Spanish equalize. A draw in the final game will see us through and this looks likely until a jammy goal in the last few minutes after the ball takes a cruel spin and we're out.

Billys Boots

Quote from: NetNitrate on December 04, 2011, 04:27:05 PM
Have a feeling we'll come under severe pressure in the first game but sneak a one nill win after some donkey type defending from the Croats. We'll be no hopers in the second game but we'll score a goal out of nowhere and look set for a famous victory until a danger here moment in the last few minutes and the Spanish equalize. A draw in the final game will see us through and this looks likely until a jammy goal in the last few minutes after the ball takes a cruel spin and we're out.

That account sounds a bit familiar. 
My hands are stained with thistle milk ...

Main Street

It is noteworthy that George Hamilton hasn't been around since we started to put the qualifying results together, in particular one result where we didn't concede a late goal in Moscow.
Would we have survived had George prematurely claimed a historic result was in the bag?
"Oh no, Dunne has put the ball in his own net"

Such are the fine margins we survive by.

trileacman

Quote from: Orangemac on December 04, 2011, 11:12:01 AM

Ireland have 4 strikers palying well and if Given/Dunne are fit the defence should be ok. I know Trap won't change but for the Spain game he should play Doyle up front on his own and put an extra body in midfield(Fahy probably). We saw against Russia how Ireland struggle against good passing teams and 2 wingers would be wasted especially as Spain don't play with a lot of width.

There is method in your thinking but not a chance of it happening. Trap has persisted with Keane through thick and thin and you'd be inclined to believe he would be right to persist with him against the Spanish. Trap is experienced and successful enough to know the best way to line out against a team that are much more talented than you. In my opinion a good result against the Spanish would rely upon us scoring. I don't think the strategy of "pack the back and nick it at the end" will work for us as the Spanish are so good at attacking that they will eventually wear us down and are guaranteed one goal, if not a few more.
Fantasy Rugby World Cup Champion 2011,
Fantasy 6 Nations Champion 2014

ballinaman

Flying to Berlin on Thursday 7th June. Booked the flights for 80euro last Wednesday, gamble paid off.Tickets sorted, haven't looked into accommodation yet. Going to be some craic!

thejuice

Might head along to it for the craic. Herself is Catalan Spanish so we'll probably head to that game. Never mind winning sure it's all about the having craic anyway and not even Roy Keane could change that.
It won't be the next manager but the one after that Meath will become competitive again - MO'D 2016

ludermor

Quote from: ballinaman on December 04, 2011, 08:07:07 PM
Flying to Berlin on Thursday 7th June. Booked the flights for 80euro last Wednesday, gamble paid off.Tickets sorted, haven't looked into accommodation yet. Going to be some craic!
Doing something very similar but flying from London, there are loads of flights Berlin and its suits the Irish matches !Will be some craic in the beaches of Gdansk!

Armaghgael

Anyone know anywhere to get tickets for any of the games?
If in doubt.......take man and ball!

red hander

Quote from: ballinaman on December 04, 2011, 08:07:07 PM

Poznan hotel prices are ridiculous for June. May have to stay fair bit outside of city.  Looking at Berlin for flights too, but I refuse to travel Ryanair and line that wee bastard's pockets