Started by Cúig huaire, November 19, 2009, 01:34:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Capt Pat

Quote from: magpie seanie on November 12, 2011, 11:00:40 PM
Quote from: Blue and White on November 12, 2011, 09:44:06 AM
Quote from: ballinaman on November 12, 2011, 08:31:06 AM
Quote from: Hoof Hearted on November 11, 2011, 10:19:20 PM
Quote from: Dinny Breen on November 11, 2011, 10:11:07 PM
If Ireland are drawn in a group with with Greece, Portugal and Italy, will it be the group of debt ?

class !

Glorious!
Amazing result, ireland never do it easy....can't score more than 2 goals in a game...great time to buck that trend. roll on next june, can't wait.
Dunphy is eejit...he hopes trap will change tactics and give players like coleman a chance before june, seriously? As if that will happen, dunphy is just lining up that angle so he has something to crow about for the next 8 months. While I agree with him about Coleman, trapp is hardly going to change his mind now.

Personally I'd love to see Coleman get a few games before the Euro's, I really rate him as a player.  When you consider the options we now have upfront, we'll have the best goalkeeper at the Euro's next June, a defence that wont be broken down easliy and a manager who's as cunning as a lighthouse rat, we have all the ingredients for a good 'tournament' side and none of the top sides will want us in their group.

I watched an old DVD I have called 'The Charlton years' last night just to bring back the memories, big Jack knew how to have us in the palm of his hand!

Ah steady on!

The big problem is the part of the field that hasn't been mentioned, central midfield. We are in trouble against Xavi,Iniesta and  Alonzo. Not to mention Khedira Ozil Schweinsteiger and Muller............and Mattheus and co.

Main Street

Quote from: Capt Pat on November 13, 2011, 12:18:02 AM

The big problem is the part of the field that hasn't been mentioned, central midfield. We are in trouble against Xavi,Iniesta and  Alonzo. Not to mention Khedira Ozil Schweinsteiger and Muller............and Mattheus and co.
Suddenly the achievement of (almost) qualifying is now a problem and we are in serious trouble  :)
There are about 6  teams in Europe would not have a problem to beat us, we might get a lucky break but it's an outside bet.

We are in trouble against Spain?
We could do what England did against Spain yesterday, admit we are seriously inferior, admit we have no midfield ball players, admit we are technically inferior, concede the pitch, park the bus in front of goal and look for a set piece opportunity.

ExcellentDriver

Quote from: Main Street on November 13, 2011, 01:08:20 PM
Quote from: Capt Pat on November 13, 2011, 12:18:02 AM

Suddenly the achievement of (almost) qualifying is now a problem and we are in serious trouble  :)
There are about 6  teams in Europe would not have a problem to beat us, we might get a lucky break but it's an outside bet.

We are in trouble against Spain?
We could do what England did against Spain yesterday, admit we are seriously inferior, admit we have no midfield ball players, admit we are technically inferior, concede the pitch, park the bus in front of goal and look for a set piece opportunity.

Scotland used the same tactics against France during Euro 2008 Qualifying and came out with 1-0 wins both at Hampden and the Stade de France.

Problem with English Soccer is the unrealistic expectations of the 'Armchair Henry V' types who are watching from their Armchairs most Saturdays yet appear at every game at Wembley. Once Fabio Capello stopped the perfectionism he got the result he wanted. If they wanna blame anyone for the state of English Soccer, blame the FA for their 'Cash Cow' that is the Premiership.

Rant about England over. Kudos to Trapp for getting the best out of the Republic's Journeymen Players.
Stand up for the Ulstermen!

Aerlik

I went to the Perth v. Sydney A-League game last night with mini-me, only his second soccer match.  Well it was average to say the least.  However, of note were the number of Ireland soccer and rugby tops among the fans.  I got talking to a Liberian lad who, when I told him I was from Ireland, mentioned that the win was great as we deserved it after the Thierry Henry debacle.  Jaysus I never even thought of it that way.

Sydney won 1-0 in a game Perth should have wrapped up by half-time.  The Sydney captain is Terry McFlynn, originally from Swatragh, Co.Derry.  Never heard of him.  Played well...errrrr.. OWC will be calling,   :D :D :D
To find his equal an Irishman is forced to talk to God!

BennyCake

I see on BBC sport website, Ireland want a friendly with england in Dublin. That would be interesting.

Capt Pat

Quote from: BennyCake on November 14, 2011, 12:55:03 AM
I see on BBC sport website, Ireland want a friendly with england in Dublin. That would be interesting.

They will wreck the neighbourhood.

Denn Forever

What would a friendly against England tell Trappatoni?  Premiership soccer isn't all its cracked up to be?

I'd say with the interest there is, it'll will sell out as long as the opposition is half decent.  Who would be available for friendlies?  Maybe Trap could talk nice to Italy?  A game against France?
I have more respect for a man
that says what he means and
means what he says...

bridgegael

just on the draw for the euros,  will ireland be in the last pot?
"2009 Gaaboard Cheltenham fantasy league winner"

Canalman

Very odd game in Talilinn.................. no way were we 4 goals the better team and imo the penalty was very soft.

Please God the caterwailing post Thierry Henry will now cease.

Btw, the faces/ demeanor of the RTE lads post match was as dour as could ever be seen. Lighten up a bit.

Delighted we qualified but would fear the worse at P/U. Imo we are like a drunk wandering down a motorway............... very lucky so far but an appointment with a truck surely on the way.

extra time

Terry mcflynn used to be at QPR but i dont think he featured in the 1st team when he was there late 90,s early 2000,s. I had the pleasure of meeting him through young ricky graham from kilkeel, who was also at loftus rd. Terry was a great lad and gave us a great spin through london in his car after the match.

Main Street

Quote from: Canalman on November 14, 2011, 11:03:35 AM
no way were we 4 goals the better team and imo the penalty was very soft.
Imo it was an absolute stonewall penalty. The Estonian player was not near the ball and barged over Hunt, forcing him down.That's a penalty, a clear penalty.

the waffler

deiseach

Quote from: Capt Pat on November 14, 2011, 01:27:13 AM
Quote from: BennyCake on November 14, 2011, 12:55:03 AM

They will wreck the neighbourhood.

How could you tell?

I'll get my coat . . .

Geoff Tipps

Quote from: the waffler on November 14, 2011, 02:23:07 PM
when do we find out venues etc

Draw is on December 3rd. Group A and C would mean games in Poland. B and D are in Ukraine.

ONeill

If you were manager of Estonia, how would you approach this tomorrow?

Relatively restrained and composed, trying to forge a 2-0 lead perhaps at HT?
I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames.