Antrim Football Thread

Started by theskull1, November 09, 2006, 11:48:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

paddyjohn

Quote from: JimStynes on November 18, 2021, 09:04:15 PM
Who's the richest club in Antrim. Would have to be the posh lads from Malone Road direction? Or Dunloy with their Arab owner.

Lisburn or Larne I think. Did they not sell ground for fortunes of money?

Belfast GAA man

Quote from: rogercasement on November 18, 2021, 09:07:02 PM
I remember once hearing that either McDermotts or Davitts was the richest club in Ulster due to their social club intake, I have no idea if that is true or not but if there is any truth in it your theory is blown out of the water. I.e. buying championships.
u r very out of touch rodger - McDees went out of existence over 10 years ago. Davitts spent their money on getting a pitch after 100 years having not having and are improving slowly from low starting point so your point is pointless

Milltown Row2

Quote from: paddyjohn on November 18, 2021, 07:50:29 PM
Quote from: Milltown Row2 on November 18, 2021, 07:32:39 PM
Quote from: bannside on November 18, 2021, 07:20:30 PM
95% of clubs and counties turn a blind eye to the payment of persons involved in managing or coaching teams. The GAA as an organisation turns a blind eye. The lucrative pence per mile rate to county players and officials renders it hypocritical if it ever considered becoming involved in the infringement of the amateur status debate. I never saw a turkey voting for Christmas yet!

I'd let it go Belfast Gaa man. Your principled stance is notable, but one by one the club's that do abide by this outdated ideal will fall by the wayside.

There was a period too when you could have got reported (and suspended)  for playing soccer. And you could only eat fish on a Friday!Times change, things move on. You can only swim against the tide for so long!

We won an All Ireland with home manager  ;)

And an Ulster select 😉

Was there a player from each of the 9 counties?

We were winning Ulster finals in the 80's lads, you lads didn't even have pitches
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

rogercasement

Yes my point was when they were raking the cash in they weren't winning championships!

Milltown Row2

Quote from: rogercasement on November 18, 2021, 09:37:58 PM
Yes my point was when they were raking the cash in they weren't winning championships!

Our problem was we didn't invest enough, we thought our social club during the late 80's 90's would (and did at the time) sustain us. Davitts certainly had and still has a popular social club, in fairness to them it's been well invested lately..

We'd 2 Ulster final appearances in the 80's  ;)

None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

angermanagement

Quote from: paddyjohn on November 18, 2021, 09:18:00 PM
Quote from: JimStynes on November 18, 2021, 09:04:15 PM
Who's the richest club in Antrim. Would have to be the posh lads from Malone Road direction? Or Dunloy with their Arab owner.

Lisburn or Larne I think. Did they not sell ground for fortunes of money?

Lisburn? Didn't know they ever owned their own ground, they've been renting off the brits for years.
Soon to be made homeless as the Brits are selling the land, which will be worth serious money.

JimStynes

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on November 18, 2021, 09:29:17 PM
95% of clubs and counties turn a blind eye to the payment of persons involved in managing or coaching teams. The GAA as an organisation turns a blind eye. The lucrative pence per mile rate to county players and officials renders it hypocritical if it ever considered becoming involved in the infringement of the amateur status debate. I never saw a turkey voting for Christmas yet!

I'd let it go Belfast Gaa man. Your principled stance is notable, but one by one the club's that do abide by this outdated ideal will fall by the wayside.

There was a period too when you could have got reported (and suspended)  for playing soccer. And you could only eat fish on a Friday!Times change, things move on. You can only swim against the tide for so long!

And an Ulster select 😉

We were winning Ulster finals in the 80's lads, you lads didn't even have pitches

What position did you play on those teams?

Antrim Coaster

Quote from: delgany on November 18, 2021, 09:13:31 PM
Quote from: rogercasement on November 18, 2021, 09:07:02 PM

I remember once hearing that either McDermotts or Davitts was the richest club in Ulster due to their social club intake, I have no idea if that is true or not but if there is any truth in it your theory is blown out of the water. I.e. buying championships.

McDermotts racked up a heap of debt and folded.

McDermotts folded after their committee resigned en masse after an insurance claim over something or other in their social club. They weren't insured.

Milltown Row2

Quote from: JimStynes on November 18, 2021, 09:50:10 PM
Quote from: Milltown Row2 on November 18, 2021, 09:29:17 PM

And an Ulster select 😉

What position did you play on those teams?

Corner back late 80's ;D

imtommygunn

During the lean spell - any correlation  ;D

Milltown Row2

Quote from: imtommygunn on November 18, 2021, 09:54:03 PM
During the lean spell - any correlation  ;D

We'd a few runs in Ulster, Charlie Sweeney was manager at the time, was the only season I played senior properly in fairness. Worked out I was too small and enjoyed hurling way too much, that and drinking and partying lol

geezer

The fact of the matter is that it doesnt matter if me or jim gavin were managing cargin or creggan next year, they would still be competing for chsips. They have the best squads in the county and thats the bottom line.

If they want to spend money on a manager then who cares? Doesnt matter 1 feck as they would still be there or thereabouts every year.

rogercasement

So let's assume like Duine suggests there is gonna be a transfer market. Which player would you sign for your club??? Fitzpatrick for me.⁹

geezer

If those clubs feel that paying a manager will take them to the holy grail then fair play. I believe those 2 clubs have aspirations of making a mark in ulster.

But it all comes down to my main point, THEY HAVE THE PLAYERS!

They have put the hard work at underage. You think its a coincidence that st marys got to the final this year? They have been continuously winning at underage level for 10 years. Cargin won minors back to back few years ago and now many of those players in their senior squad now. Creggan have been competing at every underage level for as far back as i can remember.

But sure its down to them paying a manager.

Quote from: Duine Inteacht Eile on November 18, 2021, 10:33:09 PM
Quote from: geezer on November 18, 2021, 10:28:06 PM
The fact of the matter is that it doesnt matter if me or jim gavin were managing cargin or creggan next year, they would still be competing for chsips. They have the best squads in the county and thats the bottom line.

If they want to spend money on a manager then who cares? Doesnt matter 1 feck as they would still be there or thereabouts every year.
They obviously believe it matters. That's why they do it.

Milltown Row2

Gribben, shivers, McCann, for starters