Casement Park in line for major overhaul - 40,000 all seater Stadium.

Started by Joxer, October 06, 2010, 02:42:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

RedHand88

This is ridiculous. It's not like Casement Park popped up overnight on their doorstep. They've lived beside it their entire lives.

Just scrap it and move the jobs and investment to an area that will want it.

JPGJOHNNYG

Look they are trying what they can to block it. If I lived there I would probably do the same. The argument against though is all over the place. One minute it's going to be a white elephant and never used next minute it is going to be a death trap with the hoards of people unable to evacuate quickly going to the concerts every night of the week. A stadium realistically used not that often is surely more favourable than a supermarket, business park or housing and the hassle and traffic that could bring

general_lee

Is 34500 not less than casements current "capacity"? I always thought it was 36k. Anyway - at this stage I've little or no sympathy with the residents (some of whom I know). Wtf do they expect?

skeog

Move it to Omagh plenty of room would be welcomed with open arms unlike them perpetual objectors in Belfast.

Fear Bun Na Sceilpe

Quote from: general_lee on October 29, 2021, 10:07:59 AM
Is 34500 not less than casements current "capacity"? I always thought it was 36k. Anyway - at this stage I've little or no sympathy with the residents (some of whom I know). Wtf do they expect?

probably coz you live somewhere else lol

RedHand88

The same people will complain about lack of funding and investment in the area.

armaghniac

There is a problem here, also seen in the A5, that the Stormont authorities are not capable of following their own regulations. So while the revised design of Casement, which is a big improvement IHMO, might meet the objections the whole thing could fall on a technicality.
As has been suggested before, the GAA should discuss the possibility of giving the site for Traveller housing and a drug rehabilitation centre and go elsewhere.
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

BennyCake

The future of the Ulster championship is more important to the Casement project, than the Andytown residents.

It might actually br a good thing if legal proceedings do drag on for a year or so.  I expect that Proposal B bullshit (or a slightly tweaked B) to be passed next year.  What would then become of a 34,000 Casement if we had a meaningless Ulster championship?

Fear Bun Na Sceilpe

Quote from: BennyCake on October 29, 2021, 05:41:31 PM
The future of the Ulster championship is more important to the Casement project, than the Andytown residents.

It might actually br a good thing if legal proceedings do drag on for a year or so.  I expect that Proposal B bullshit (or a slightly tweaked B) to be passed next year.  What would then become of a 34,000 Casement if we had a meaningless Ulster championship?

Yep Corrigan is dead on for crowds Antrim get

RadioGAAGAA

Anyone in the Ulster Council that still believes a 35k all-seat, all-covered stadium in Andytown is what the GAA needs, needs their head examined.

[and if they aren't elected - booted out the door for having insufficient intelligence for the job.]

Its alright a few clowns on here drooling over a big new shiny stadium. But the top officials of the province are there to think with their heads, not day dream over a proverbial dick waving contest with the other sports.
i usse an speelchekor

Fear Bun Na Sceilpe

Quote from: RadioGAAGAA on November 02, 2021, 09:31:55 PM
Anyone in the Ulster Council that still believes a 35k all-seat, all-covered stadium in Andytown is what the GAA needs, needs their head examined.

[and if they aren't elected - booted out the door for having insufficient intelligence for the job.]

Its alright a few clowns on here drooling over a big new shiny stadium. But the top officials of the province are there to think with their heads, not day dream over a proverbial dick waving contest with the other sports.

100 percent

Antrim Coaster

Ulster Council have made a complete and total balls up of this and Antrim are paying the price as a result although it was the Antrim County Board who decided not to make the repairs required in order to get the required safety certificate from Belfast City Council after they saw the £ signs before anything was signed off.

As a result, the stadium was closed and has fallen into a state of disrepair.

Part of the 3-stadium deal, Windsor Park, Ravenhill and Casement (as deemed by the Ulster Council) was that the provincial body were to manage the project so it was taken out of Antrim's hands although they haven't exactly covered themselves with glory since.

Stupid idea to push through with plans to build a 34,000 - 38,000 seater stadium in W Belfast. Would never have reached that capacity even with an Ulster 'football' final.

If anything, the stand should have been demolished and replaced with a new structure and a new seated stand built on the opposite terracing.

Kickham csc

Quote from: Fear Bun Na Sceilpe on November 02, 2021, 11:24:47 PM
Quote from: RadioGAAGAA on November 02, 2021, 09:31:55 PM

100 percent

They are looking to build a revenue generator; Conference center, concert venue, big matches etc

Ulster needed a big venue in the NE of the province, aswell as one for the west (Omagh). Clones covers the south, Celtic Park covers the north pretty well.

However, as previously stated, if option B gets approved, then the need for this might be eliminated

Baile Brigín 2

Quote from: RedHand88 on October 29, 2021, 08:25:11 AM
This is ridiculous. It's not like Casement Park popped up overnight on their doorstep. They've lived beside it their entire lives.

Just scrap it and move the jobs and investment to an area that will want it.

They lived beside a venue used a couple of times a year. The plan is for gigs and conferences. Use will change*.

It's bonkers to think you can fail to get something through, ignore why you failed and just try again.

* zero chance it will happen.