Antrim Hurling

Started by milltown row, January 26, 2007, 11:21:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tormund

Im absolutely gutted from that match, we hit too many wides, didnt win enough ball, when we got possesion turned over in the backline it was so frustrating, i feel we dont have players running off the shoulder enough like the top teams do aswell.
But would be madness to question Gleesons position, we're still better than all those years losing to teams like westmeath and carlow. For me he's our best manager since dinny cahill. Darren Gleeson should get all our support!! i hope he stays on.
The joe mcdonagh will be tough to win next year, offaly will likely be in it and they look like they are on the way back.
Im just gutted

MoChara

I don't know about how laois u20s prepare but I believe ours only really have been getting together once a week for about the past 6 weeks wouldn't really give you much time to know your colleagues

north_antrim_hound

Gutted for the lads but we just weren't good enough. Pucks outs, turn overs, sloppy short passing, slow support play, Lots to work on. Even with all that we had them down but just wouldn't stamp on their throats.
There's a man with a mullet going mad with a mallet in Millets

Fear Bun Na Sceilpe

Quote from: up the rovers on July 10, 2021, 08:34:12 PM
After a great league a poor championship, today was brutal as was the under 20s.
Could anyone on here explain what the hell is going on with the minors? Bizarre situation.

Is that Anrim u16 in Celtic Challenge

Tormund

In his interview after the game Gleeson said Antrim hurling needs to improve the structures drastically. Dont know exactly what structures, maybe its training facilities, coaching, the underage hurling setups, i dunno. But i hope its something they are looking at, with Neal Peden. I'd imagine funding is an issue to improve the structures much.

Fear Bun Na Sceilpe

Quote from: Tormund on July 11, 2021, 11:21:44 AM
In his interview after the game Gleeson said Antrim hurling needs to improve the structures drastically. Dont know exactly what structures, maybe its training facilities, coaching, the underage hurling setups, i dunno. But i hope its something they are looking at, with Neal Peden. I'd imagine funding is an issue to improve the structures much.

Probably need to work towards getting the division 2 sides up to div1  level

Tormund

Quote from: Fear Bun Na Sceilpe on July 11, 2021, 11:43:57 AM

Probably need to work towards getting the division 2 sides up to div1  level

Yea, that could be it aswell

Jonkunlon

It's something we need to address and not puck it further down the road. Quantifiable checklist that we can put in place. Don't like the sound of that word drastic. I know very very little but I'd start with the quality of coaches taking development squads. We need the highest quality of coaching to get up to speed.

imtommygunn

What have you got against gleeson?

Antrim Coaster

Antrim have been nyamming about the 'structures' for years. Time for them to do a Kildare and start doing things themselves.

That Kildare U20 victory over Wexford didn't happen overnight. That's a result of 10 years of underage development.

Antrim have a chance to get things underway with Gaelfast, which unfortunately appears to be imploding with the project looking for its third manager since it began.

I'd say that Darren Gleason may have been referring to the U20 result during the week.

Good question as why Paul Donnelly left the Gaelfast set up. I was at one of the series of Gaelfast roadshows and was impressed with what was being rolled out. Did he jump from a sinking ship ???

I have to question the logic of a Gaelfast coach taking a series of football sessions at a primary school which is a feeder for a hurling only club. Apparently that is what the coach was instructed to do which would indicate an issue with communication.

Jonkunlon

Quote from: groundlie on July 11, 2021, 01:34:00 PM
Nothing. He's done amazing. It's more the principle of us perking our ears up when a Southern speaks. Sambo said it for years.

Sambo has had his chances over the years. His track record doesn't add up to much.

maxpower

Decision making was poor yesterday, Darren has made great strides in this aspect of the game but will take more work from many more people

I go to loads of underage games and I see mentors shouting instructions to the man in possession all the time - this is the problem, we aren't coaching our players to make decisions for themselves on the pitch.  What we should be doing (imho) is letting the players make their own decisions on the pitch and providing/discussing learnings after

As I say that is just a small piece of a much bigger jigsaw that involves the number/quality of coaches, availability of suitable games, school ties, third level ed and development squads

What happens next????

up the rovers

I was talking to someone involved with the minors, apparently 3 lads tested positive for Covid and some of the others had to isolate as close contacts. Leinster council were asked for a postponement but refused and put Antrim into the lower competition. :-\
Precedent set by the Leinster council, I wonder would it happen to Kilkenny or Galway?

imtommygunn

That adds up a bit more. I didn't think we had a fielding issue.

That's disgraceful if that is how it panned out. Shows little respect for the lower tier either.

Fear Bun Na Sceilpe

Quote from: up the rovers on July 11, 2021, 05:17:30 PM
I was talking to someone involved with the minors, apparently 3 lads tested positive for Covid and some of the others had to isolate as close contacts. Leinster council were asked for a postponement but refused and put Antrim into the lower competition. :-\
Precedent set by the Leinster council, I wonder would it happen to Kilkenny or Galway?

No offence but should have drafted lads in